What happened to Slash's guitar playing?

Just now, Gordon Comstock said:

He's RAWK N ROLL, DUDE.... He plays what he FEELS! He's a LEGEND that can do no wrong!! :lol:

Seriously though, he should have sounded great on solos like that, and This I Love, and Sorry... but he just doesn't care about learning the CD solos so he "improvises" and it sounds like shit. Was anyone really expecting him to play SOD accurately?

The start of his solo actually sounded good but then he proceeded into improvising mode

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Slash isn’t as technical as a player like those nu-GnR guys, so he can’t play them exactly note for note even if he wanted to. For example, Slash can’t sweep pick. At least I’ve never seen him do so.

I get that for the solo on TWAT and Prostitute. The Street of Dreams solo , however, involves a lot of bending and is not that hard to play. 

Edited by Sosso

Just now, Sosso said:

I get that for the solo on TWAT and Prostitute. The Street of Dreams solo , however, involves a lot of bending and is not that hard play. 

I should listen to the song. Don’t remember the solo that well. But even if he can learn to play it note for note, I don’t think that’s his style. He’s all about feel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I should listen to the song. Don’t remember the solo that well. But even if he can learn to play it note for note, I don’t think that’s his style. He’s all about feel.

I just can't believe that someone who wrote the solos for November Rain and Estranged can fuck up Street of Dreams. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

I miss Robin Finck

But since 2016 this isnt a surprise.

It just got worse. The good thing is Fortus picking up halfway through the solo.

Robin was great back in 06/07! He had a lot of energy back then. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

They finally played my favorite CD track with Slash n Duff. Axl sounds shaky but still pretty good on it after all these years. He was too slow on some of the verses though. Slash sucked ass on The Blues solo and Fortus saved the day there. Either way, hopefully either Slash improves this solo going forward or just let Rich take over the entire solo.

Are there any high quality pics of Axl wearing the 2006 cutoff shirt? That’s his best look in over a decade at this point.

• Like 1

sometimes Slash improvises and shreds in a live setting when a more defined and slower playing could have served the song better. I think sometimes it's because he doesn't have a specific and thought out idea in mind for how to fill the solo space in a song and other times it's cause he's simply excited to play live and the energy of it speeds everything up and it could be messy with too many notes, sometimes maybe both.

a common problem among many guitar players but imo it's not specifically about SOD or CD tunes, an inspiration problem as Slash approaches it in the same way with the Conspirators live and even for his latest album, 4, the solos sound improvised and once the band supported it with a tour and Slash had the chance to live with the material a little bit, it improved I think so it's kinda expected of Slash to prefer to figure it out in the moment mostly instead of sitting down by himself and trying to cover a solo 1:1 or come up with a more planned out melody cause he's been playing like that for a long time now.

not every solo is perfect like in the past, but realistically, for the most part at least I don't expect Slash to sit down and invest time and effort in figuring out how to play solos by other people or sometimes even guitar parts. Slash has admitted he doesn't even know what the players before him did on Madagascar so he's just not that type of player and as Izzy said, he was always a noodler, now he's an older and sober noodler so it's maybe even more pronounced.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2