Well, it has been said before that he's talked to random strangers at bars about really personal issues so that may have happened, and I doubt he's ever gonna give up weed lol so I find that believable too. It would also make the cane make more sense that I honestly thought was a horrible fashion choice, so I'm not sure. If he did he recovered very well, but I really hope it didn't happen 

5 hours ago, Lio said:

It wouldn't be weird. Many people get a stroke without even realizing. It depends on the severity of course, but it's perfectly possible to have a stroke with no consequences.

Yeah, then if it is case, Axl was "fortunate".

I find this story a bit hard to believe. Axl seems to be very personal and doing only a few interviews with the media.  The guy c block Axl??? LMAO Yeah right!!! That's a bit hard to believe.

If he did have a stroke most likely it was minor and didn't affect him.  If a person has a minor stroke in the brain stem where the neck is connected, that's where you want to have it happen if it does. There is no damage to the person if the stroke happens there.  

10 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Maybe something got lost in translation when Axl spoke with the Swedish guy

Possibly, the Swedish word for stroke though is "stroke", with a very american pronunciation, so I don't think he misunderstood what disease he meant :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BeingBoring said:

Not sure I believe this story at all, Axl would be somewhat recognizable even from behind by most of us fans, especially somewhere like NYC where his general attire has not fit in for a decade or two. The whole thing just seems to be a bullshit story. 

1. You don't know what he wore that night. Or what anyone wore at that place at that night, at that time.

2. "fan" is relative and a huge spectrum of things. Also different being a "fan" as in, "I listened so much to AFD in my teens" and knowing what he looked like in 2012-13.

3. If someone would bullshit a story about Axl Rose on swedish national radio, in the context of their own career as a fashion designer. How many out of a 100 would go with "we talked about having a stroke" ?

4. If someone would bullshit a story. Why pick Axl Rose. He's not really top of mind I imagine, for people trying to bullshit up some... eh... cred?

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

1. You don't know what he wore that night. Or what anyone wore at that place at that night, at that time.

2. "fan" is relative and a huge spectrum of things. Also different being a "fan" as in, "I listened so much to AFD in my teens" and knowing what he looked like in 2012-13.

3. If someone would bullshit a story about Axl Rose on swedish national radio, in the context of their own career as a fashion designer. How many out of a 100 would go with "we talked about having a stroke" ?

4. If someone would bullshit a story. Why pick Axl Rose. He's not really top of mind I imagine, for people trying to bullshit up some... eh... cred?

It does seem an odd thing to talk about alright. 

On 7/6/2022 at 6:05 AM, thunderram said:

^^ This is just narcissistic nonsense. Blowing smoke out of your @$$. You haven't the first clue whether or not he prepares or how he goes about it. NONE.

^^ This is someone actually using some sound reasoning and admitting that they don't know all the facts. The 1st poster should take notice.

As for not rehearing, there are many reasons someone may not do so. And I know the topic has been speculated upon here for years.

The nature of AXL's voice and the fact that GN'R has historically toured so much often doing hundreds of shows per tour could very well be among those reasons.

Back in 1991 -- when he was far more in his prime -- I fully recall his voice often sounding hoarse and worn down. Performing as often as the band did with a vocalist that uses as much rasp as AXL does is going to have that effect. Adding even more usage and stress on his voice for rehearsals just didn't make sense.

That's probably why he's lasted as long as he has. For all the huge NuGNR fans that believe AXL's voice was at it's best during the 2006 era should thank their lucky stars AXL didn't rehearse much back then. He very well might have been burned out a long time ago.

At 60 years old now, there's little surprise to me that his voice has gotten to the stage it's at.

You don't need to be a fly on the wall to know Axl isn't killing himself before the tour kicks off. There's songs where he flat out doesn't know the rhythms, there's songs where he can't sing full phrases because he runs out of breath. These are all signs that his rehearsal time, be it with the band or at home is not enough. Any singer going on the road prepares and makes sure they get their air up so they can sing the songs in the set without dying every night. Each year / each new tour he comes back and he's lost it all again, and then slowly as the tour progresses he gets a little better, bit by bit. That's because of repetition. If he was really rehearsing beforehand he would not have trouble for the first few gigs every time. Now, don't get me wrong you don't expect it to be 100% dialed one in day 1, but it should be basically where it needs to be... And I do think he does some prep, but it's clearly far from what's needed. 

60 is not that old, he can actually still squeeze some good years out but it's all about taking care of his voice at this point in time. It just sounds like he doesn't sing a lick, the moment he gets home. I've heard vocal coaches like men tamplin talk about Axl today has a weak technique, but he said 6 months work and he could sing powerful again

14 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Axl having a stroke in 2011 does line up with a lot of the changes from 2010-2011. In late 2011 he re-emerged with the Mickey voice and a more mellow personality. I always assumed it was antidepressants.

I know he has a slur when he speaks now, but I don't know of the validity of the stroke stuff. IF he had a stroke, he made some really odd decisions health wise in the preceding years by becoming the heaviest he had ever been, at least publicly. Normally having a stroke and surviving means you flip your lifestyle and lose weight. 

Of course it's possible, and if it wasn't major he could have easily been back on the road a few months later.

I think the slur is from having his teeth done, but who knows?

42 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Axl having a stroke in 2011 does line up with a lot of the changes from 2010-2011. In late 2011 he re-emerged with the Mickey voice and a more mellow personality. I always assumed it was antidepressants.

O_o well i'm starting to hope it's the anti depressants behind the mellowness.

because if it's a stroke, it means entire facets of Axl may have changed in ways that not even Axl himself has control of. O_o

the "Axl's possible stroke caused his personality change" idea, it brings a whole bunch of things to think about...

imagine being really moody throughout your life, and going through all this therapy behind the scenes, and you still get ticked off easily. And then you have a random stroke, and suddenly, you don't get ticked off like you used to, just like that.  If I was in that position, I would kinda feel like shit. Because then that would imply something in my brain was inherently bad or out of control, and despite all efforts to mitigate that, I would have lived extremely moodily for the rest of my life, and that all my conscious effort to control that aspect of myself isn't much compared to a random chance of stroke physically changing a part of my brain.

Do the other band members know and realise the differences between pre-stroke and post-stroke Axl?

Does Axl feel weird about how his brain might have changed? does he feel like he can't think like he used to? is he happier or sadder?

how much of the axl we know now is due to this hypothetical stroke vs Axl's deliberate decisions on how he wants to act for noawadays?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veon said:

No slur present here… and this in late 2012. Not buying this

Who says he has a slur because of a stroke? I know several people who have no noticeable effects at all after a stroke. 

Why would that guy make something like that up? He's not a forum nutter out for attention, right? 😁 The interview is from 2016. It's safe to say it didn't attract any attention at all.

12 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

O_o well i'm starting to hope it's the anti depressants behind the mellowness.

because if it's a stroke, it means entire facets of Axl may have changed in ways that not even Axl himself has control of. O_o

I think antidepressants are much more likely to affect Axl's personality than a stroke. The former is developed for that very purpose, and often have various negative personality side effects, while the latter usually mostly affects the body and not the mind. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...