Elvis. The movie

Amaya

6 minutes ago, action said:

thanks for this honest review. I suspected this much, from the trailers. Lots of pomp, lots of boring childhood focus and tom hank's cringy accent.

I'll be buying the DVD in the bargain bin, since the elvis actor is the real deal regardless

There isn't that much focus on his childhood and Hank's accent really isn't so bad.

3 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Since purchasing the bluray, I've watched it again.

The best film on Elvis, in my opinion.

Which begs the question on which is the worst film on Elvis. I remember one, which I think was called Elvis Lives, that was so bad it was hilarious. But I think that might've been the intention. 

• Like 1

tom hanks, the romantic comedy guy and overall likeable chap would be the worst casting for a pig like parker

I mean, I can't unsee that it's really tom hanks, playing parker, faking a goofy accent, and it's just distracting from the drama that unquestionably is being told

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Which begs the question on which is the worst film on Elvis. I remember one, which I think was called Elvis Lives, that was so bad it was hilarious. But I think that might've been the intention. 

All of them are the worst :lol:

Honestly, I never liked the Kurt Russell film. And the Elvis & Nixon movies were just terrible.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

All of them are the worst :lol:

Honestly, I never liked the Kurt Russell film. And the Elvis & Nixon movies were just terrible.

They also did a miniseries based on Priscilla's book called Elvis And Me. The dude playing Elvis, Dale Midkiff, was decent but looked more like Johnny Cash near the end.😄

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, action said:

the terminal, splash, the money pit, joe versus the volcano, larry crowne...

and I'm probably forgetting some of his romcoms

What I like about Tom Hanks, apart from being a good actor, is that he always took on different roles and played in different genres throughout his career, romantic comedies are a very small part of that. I'm not sure why you feel the need to pigeonhole him like that. He's definitely not been a one-trick pony, like some actors.

21 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I remember HATING Elvis And The Beauty Queen when I was a kid. Some made for TV movie horseshit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

What I like about Tom Hanks, apart from being a good actor, is that he always took on different roles and played in different genres throughout his career, romantic comedies are a very small part of that. I'm not sure why you feel the need to pigeonhole him like that. He's definitely not been a one-trick pony, like some actors.

he's not a one trick pony, I didn't say that

he's definately one of the top romcom actors. Sleepless in seattle, probably the one all time classic romantic comedy ever.

come on, admit that it feels weird to have such a "likeable", teddy bear actor playing a scumbag like the colonel. I think my point is pretty obvious, it's got nothing to do with pigeonholing him as a one trick pony lol

3 hours ago, action said:

he's not a one trick pony, I didn't say that

he's definately one of the top romcom actors. Sleepless in seattle, probably the one all time classic romantic comedy ever.

come on, admit that it feels weird to have such a "likeable", teddy bear actor playing a scumbag like the colonel. I think my point is pretty obvious, it's got nothing to do with pigeonholing him as a one trick pony lol

I won't, because I thought he did a good job. You haven't even seen the film, so maybe watch it first before forming an opinion. Just like how you were going on about how much it focused on his childhood, while it doesn't at all. Always funny when someone gives an opinion about something they haven't seen or heard.

You pigeonholed him as a ''romantic comedy guy'', that is what I reacted to, and I don't think that's fair because he has played mainly different roles in his career. But I am guessing that you have watched one or two romantic comedies starring Hanks and decided he's a ''romantic comedy guy'', ignoring everything else he has done.

Edited by EvanG
  • Haha 1