GN'R Survivor: Axl's Guest Appearances - Round 4

Blackstar

Axl's Guest Appearances (studio & live)   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your LEAST favorite

• Under My Wheels [with Alice Cooper, Slash and Izzy on "The Decline Of The Western Civilization" OST] (1988)
    • I Will Not Go Quietly [on Don Henley’s "The End of the Innocence" album] (1989)
    • Free Fallin' [live with Tom Petty and Izzy at the MTV Awards] (1989)
    • Salt Of The Earth [live with The Rolling Stones and Izzy] (1989)
    • Piece Of Me [live with members of Metallica and Skid Row at RIP Magazine party] (1990)
    • Bohemian Rhapsody [live with Queen and Elton John at Freddie Mercury Tribute] (1992)
    • We Will Rock You [live with Queen at Freddie Mercury Tribute] (1992)
    • Come Together [live with Bruce Springsteen at the RRHOF] (1994)
    • Dead Flowers [vocals & piano - on Gilby’s "Pawn Shop Guitars" album] (1994)
    • Anxious Disease [with Slash on the album by West Arkeen's band The Outpatience] (1996)
    • Back In The Saddle [on Sebastian Bach’s "Angel Down" album] (2007)
    • Stuck Inside [on Sebastian Bach’s "Angel Down" album] (2007)
    • (Love Is) A Bitchslap [on Sebastian Bach’s "Angel Down" album] (2007)
    • Highway To Hell [live with Billy Joel] (2017)
    • Big Shot [live with Billy Joel] (2017)
  2. 2. Would you like the votes in this poll to be public (so that everyone can see who votes what)?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/20/2022 at 03:00 AM

The forum decided that there is something wrong with I Did U No Wrong, so... it's gone.

HOW IT WORKS: Each round, you vote for your LEAST FAVORITE of the options. The option with the most votes gets eliminated in the next round, and so on, until only one song remains.

Round 1 - Rock and Roll  [live with Shark Island] (1986)

Round 2 - Rock The Rock [Looney Tunes episode] (aired 2019)

Round 3 - I Did U No Wrong [on Steve Jones’ "Fire And Gasoline" album] (1989)

Round 4 - ?

Round 5 - ?

Round 6 - ?

Round 7 - ?

Round 8 - ?

Round 9 - ?

Round 10 - ?

Round 11 - ?

Round 12 - ?

Round 13 - ?

Round 14 - ?

Round 15 - ?

Round 16 - ?

Round 17 - ?

Round 18 - ?

Notes:

- All the songs/performances, except for the Don Henley song, are on youtube. Piece Of Me can be found in the full RIP Magazine party video. 

- Axl guested at two Billy Joel shows: at Dodger Stadium on May 13, 2017 and at Target Field, MN on July 28, 2017 (in my opinion, Highway To Hell was better at the first show and Big Shot at the second one. EDIT: on second thought and after re-watching the performances, the second show was better overall).

- Not included in the poll: 1) Live appearances where Axl sang GN’R songs (e.g. The Foo Fighters, Carrie Underwood) or songs that were already covered by GN’R  (e.g. KOHD with U2, Heartbreak Hotel with Tom Petty, Hair of the Dog at the RIP party.). That doesn't apply to Dead Flowers (as it's a guest appearance on a studio recording) and to We Will Rock You (because GN’R played it only once with Brian May after the Freddie Mercury Tribute), so they have been included.  2) Live appearances that are relatively rare or hard to find and/or there's no decent recording of  (e.g.  Mixed Emotions with The Rolling Stones,  Dead, Jail or Rock ‘n’ Roll with Michael Monroe and the Biff Malibu video from 1989).

- If a round ends in a tie, the votes in the other rounds are taken into account and the song with the bigger sum of votes in all rounds is the one that gets eliminated.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What happened to making to votes public?

I made them public for the first round, then left them private for the second round to see if participation would be bigger - and it was bigger. There are advantages and drawbacks in making votes public (avoidance of troll votes Vs. less participation).

I'll add a question in this poll about making it public or not.

• Like 2

Weird that someone would be afraid to publicly voice their opinion on a GNR cover. I’d understand if the poll was about sexual preferences or something, but...
Anyway, I’m holding off until the 2–3 songs that I don’t know are gone, just to be fair. Can’t listen to them while at work and no time / too lazy at home. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I made them public for the first round, then left them private for the second round to see if participation would be bigger - and it was bigger. There are advantages and drawbacks in making votes public (avoidance of troll votes Vs. less participation).

Interesting. I wonder if that's because the early rounds are more obscure? By round 2-3 more people will have looked up whatever songs they're not familiar with.

Wonder why would anyone vote Come Together.

1. It's the last stage appearance of Axl in his original voice, shape, form and face. 

2. Fact that he wasn't supposed to perform that night and yet he did a relatively good job (considering his vocals were still recovering from long touring)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I keep voting "Highway To Hell" - it's not bad, but the voice just isn't the strongest.

Yes, Highway To Hell was just okay/not bad compared to the superior performances at the AC/DC shows.

Big Shot was much better as a performance at the Billy Joel shows. Regardless of whether one likes the song or not, Axl did a great job with it, especially the second time. He really elevated that song.

• Like 1

The second performance of Highway To Hell that he done with Billy Joel was absolutely superb. I'd probably rank it higher than most of the performances with Acca Dacca. Big Shot he sounded phenomenal on too. Two that will rank high for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dean said:

The second performance of Highway To Hell that he done with Billy Joel was absolutely superb. I'd probably rank it higher than most of the performances with Acca Dacca. Big Shot he sounded phenomenal on too. Two that will rank high for me.

I have to admit that it's been a while since I watched those performances and for some reason I remembered that Highway To Hell was not as good the second time (maybe it was the comments on here).

But I just watched a video of it from the show in Minneapolis and it was indeed great, so I'm taking back what I wrote in the previous post.

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Nice idea for Survivor: AC/DC songs :D

I like it. Plus we're running out of material 😂

10 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Wonder why would anyone vote Come Together.

1. It's the last stage appearance of Axl in his original voice, shape, form and face. 

2. Fact that he wasn't supposed to perform that night and yet he did a relatively good job (considering his vocals were still recovering from long touring)

Yeah and Bruce Springsteen didn't want to play until Axl asked him. great story by the way

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I voted about public poll. I be very curious person :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I have to admit that it's been a while since I watched those performances and for some reason I remembered that Highway To Hell was not as good the second time (maybe it was the comments on here).

But I just watched a video of it from the show in Minneapolis and it was indeed great, so I'm taking back what I wrote in the previous post.

Yeah - maybe I should check it out - I didn't even realize they did it together until a few days ago.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's between that and Big Shot, they're equally boring IMO 

I actually really liked the performance of Big Shot and how Axl sounded on it.  I don't think he ever really sounds good on Bon Scott songs..  Highway to hell for me  

38 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I actually really liked the performance of Big Shot and how Axl sounded on it.  I don't think he ever really sounds good on Bon Scott songs..  Highway to hell for me  

Yea Axl sounded good on it, but the song is kinda one-dimensional. I thought Highway To Hell sounded better. I've never been a fan of Billy Joel's music, though.

Poll closed in a tie, with I Will Not Go Quietly and Come Together getting 10 votes each. Come Together is the one that goes, as it got more votes in the other rounds.

As for the public vote issue, the majority voted in favor. But it's not an overwhelming majority - there is a significant minority that is against it - so I'll keep the polls anonymous.

• Like 1