New Brain interview in Rolling Stone

That was a nice read, thanks! I really hope Chinese Democracy gets a proper release, even if it's a 20 year anniversary (or whatever) deal, presumably released after the next album is out (CD2 with Slash and Duff) and they can then include CD2 as it existed pre-reunion and whatever they did with CD3 and the remix album they talked about in that interview. I'd shell out good money for that shit. Imagine them selling a big deluxe package that included a flash drive with the songs as they existed in 1999, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2014 etc. 

I'll stop. A boy can dream! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

really enjoyed reading this interview. Not just the Gn'r stuff, but when it comes to Gn'R and Axl, I like how Brain admired Axl's chaotic behavior and that he saw the cool aspect of it like he expected from a band like Gn'R and what he saw in the Zeppelin show he attended. What he said about Adler I thought described pretty well why he's such a unique drummer. There's a lot of feel there.

also if you believe what Brain is saying in this interview, you can tell that perfectionism was a major part of the problem. It really was Axl who delayed Chinese Democracy with his approach imo. I previously thought that Brain played all his drum parts exactly like Josh played it, but here he said that they didn't reference the charts at some point anymore while recording Brain's drum parts. Interesting.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

really enjoyed reading this interview. Not just the Gn'r stuff, but when it comes to Gn'R and Axl, I like how Brain admired Axl's chaotic behavior and that he saw the cool aspect of it like he expected from a band like Gn'R and what he saw in the Zeppelin show he attended. What he said about Adler I thought described pretty well why he's such a unique drummer. There's a lot of feel there.

also if you believe what Brain is saying in this interview, you can tell that perfectionism was a major part of the problem. It really was Axl who delayed Chinese Democracy with his approach imo. I previously thought that Brain played all his drum parts exactly like Josh played it, but here he said that they didn't reference the charts at some point anymore while recording Brain's drum parts. Interesting.

He also rerecorded some of that stuff later. The Village sessions had Riad with Josh and then overdubbed by Brain. The album version had different Brain drums on it (it was still mainly Josh's arrangement, though).

• Like 2

"Well, I think because it started with the original band. That was a good two or three years of chaos. And then Slash, Duff, and Matt Sorum left. They got Josh. That took a couple more years. They went through some producers.""

i didn t know that, chinese start with slash n duff? matt quit firts?

24 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

"Well, I think because it started with the original band. That was a good two or three years of chaos. And then Slash, Duff, and Matt Sorum left. They got Josh. That took a couple more years. They went through some producers.""

i didn t know that, chinese start with slash n duff? matt quit firts?

In the sense that the sessions for the "next GN'R album" after UYI and TSI started with Slash, Duff and Matt. Since no album materialized with the UYI lineup, the "next album" ended up being CD with another band, however whatever material was written with Slash was not used, only some stuff Axl had been working on that probably existed as sketches when Duff and Matt were still in the band.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

In the sense that the sessions for the "next GN'R album" after UYI and TSI started with Slash, Duff and Matt. Since no album materialized with the UYI lineup, the "next album" ended up being CD with another band, however whatever material was written with Slash was not used, only some stuff Axl had been working on that probably existed as sketches when Duff and Matt were still in the band.

Wasn't it in The Making of Estranged where there's this piano playing in the background which is an early sketch of This I Love?

8 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Wasn't it in The Making of Estranged where there's this piano playing in the background which is an early sketch of This I Love?

Yes, there is a little piano part, but doesn't sound like TIL at all to me. But Axl definitely had it already, he mentioned it in 1993. Based on the various info, that early version of it must have been written in Paris in 1992, probably also recorded there, in London and maybe a couple of other studios.

• Like 1