What happens to pyro at concerts?

mikeman5150

What has happened to pyro at concerts recently? I’ll don’t think Guns hasn’t had any pyro in their shows since 2019 or so. But I just went to Motley Crue and Def leopard, as well as Metallica this past weekend. No pyro at all for Crüe/Lep and both of them used to have a ton! Pyro was a big part of Crue’s live show their whole career, it’s nuts that the big comeback has none. I’d never seen Metallica until the other night, but I’ve seen videos and heard they also had a ton of pyro, but no. They had a few small spots during one of their songs and then a few at the end, but that was it. BTW, I don’t know what the hype is with Metallica live, I thought they were way overrated. 

11 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

What has happened to pyro at concerts recently? I’ll don’t think Guns hasn’t had any pyro in their shows since 2019 or so. But I just went to Motley Crue and Def leopard, as well as Metallica this past weekend. No pyro at all for Crüe/Lep and both of them used to have a ton! Pyro was a big part of Crue’s live show their whole career, it’s nuts that the big comeback has none. I’d never seen Metallica until the other night, but I’ve seen videos and heard they also had a ton of pyro, but no. They had a few small spots during one of their songs and then a few at the end, but that was it. BTW, I don’t know what the hype is with Metallica live, I thought they were way overrated. 

Who cares really? You go to GNR to see pyro? They never had any significant pyro anyway. I guess all pyro is given to Rammstein these days. They bought up everything. ;)

17 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Who cares really? You go to GNR to see pyro? They never had any significant pyro anyway. I guess all pyro is given to Rammstein these days. They bought up everything. ;)

I feel like GNR had a fair amount on the initial NITL shows. Especially during paradise city. And no, not why I go to the shows, but I do think it definitely enhances some shows. Definitely for Motley Crue. Just wondering if anyone knew why bands aren’t using it anymore. I know there was a similar thread a few months ago, but I didn’t think anyone had a solid answer. So I guess we’ll just say pandemic? 

1 minute ago, mikeman5150 said:

I feel like GNR had a fair amount on the initial NITL shows. Especially during paradise city. And no, not why I go to the shows, but I do think it definitely enhances some shows. Definitely for Motley Crue. Just wondering if anyone knew why bands aren’t using it anymore. I know there was a similar thread a few months ago, but I didn’t think anyone had a solid answer. So I guess we’ll just say pandemic? 

I'm quite surprised to hear Motley Crue aren't as their shows used to have absolutely loads. 

It'll be money. A lot of bands still are, some aren't. The cost of using it has probably risen, as has the, well, shall we say 'keenness to make a lot of money' of certain acts.....so it'll be a case of not using pyro=more cash. 

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm quite surprised to hear Motley Crue aren't as their shows used to have absolutely loads. 

It'll be money. A lot of bands still are, some aren't. The cost of using it has probably risen, as has the, well, shall we say 'keenness to make a lot of money' of certain acts.....so it'll be a case of not using pyro=more cash. 

Probably right. We know Crue only came back for the loot. 

10 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I care to be honest. The band is set to default mode NITL setlist since 2016 (Read 2012) with the exception of added Absurd+HS.

What's left there to enjoy if not for Pyro and stuff? watching Fernando or Beta passing by when I'm at the front row?

Otherwise I can pay for a 1 Euro beer and enjoy any random cover band in a bar with a better singer + additional non-GNR songs from Judas Priest as their encore. Much enjoyable trust me. 

Edited by ©GnrPersia

Moved this to My World since it's not strictly about GN'R.

In the case of Metallica, the gigs this weekend are a bit unfair to compare them to your expectations. It was two one-off gigs, it's not the middle of a tour. As such, you're not necessarily getting a production you'd get in the middle of the tour. They also kept the setlist a lot more static between the two shows - they usually change about 4 songs per night, this weekend it was just one song difference (Blackened in Buffalo, Battery in Pittsburgh). As for their pyro, they keep their pyro pretty static on which songs it gets used in - they don't use pyro just for the sake of it. So for example, had they played Fuel, you'd have gotten a load of pyro during that one. 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Moved this to My World since it's not strictly about GN'R.

In the case of Metallica, the gigs this weekend are a bit unfair to compare them to your expectations. It was two one-off gigs, it's not the middle of a tour. As such, you're not necessarily getting a production you'd get in the middle of the tour. They also kept the setlist a lot more static between the two shows - they usually change about 4 songs per night, this weekend it was just one song difference (Blackened in Buffalo, Battery in Pittsburgh). As for their pyro, they keep their pyro pretty static on which songs it gets used in - they don't use pyro just for the sake of it. So for example, had they played Fuel, you'd have gotten a load of pyro during that one. 

When I was there for their 40th anniversary shows, which admittedly is in an arena, rather than a stadium for a festival, the only time I recall them using any form of Pyro or fireworks was during the lead-up to One.  Didn't affect my enjoyment at all.  They had some really good video visuals and all I really wanted was to see the band in the center of the arena anyway, so anything extra is a bonus.

• 1 month later...