GN'R Survivor: Music Videos - Round 13

Blackstar

Music videos (officially released & unreleased)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your LEAST favorite video

• Welcome To The Jungle (1987)
    • Sweet Child O' Mine [alternate/classic version] (1988)
    • Paradise City (1988)
    • Patience (1989)
    • It's So Easy (1989) [released 2018 w/ the L&L box set]
    • You Could Be Mine (1991)
    • Don't Cry (1991)
    • Live And Let Die (1991)
    • November Rain (1992)
    • Yesterdays (1992)
    • Dead Horse (1993)
    • Estranged (1993)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/26/2022 at 01:00 PM

The black&white version of Sweet Child O' Mine is gone...

HOW IT WORKS: Each round, you vote for your LEAST FAVORITE of the options. The option with the most votes gets eliminated in the next round, and so on, until only one video remains.

Round 1 - Bad Apples (1991/1993)

Round 2 - Better (2008) [UNRELEASED]

Round 3 - I Don't Care About You (1994) [UNRELEASED]

Round 4 - My Michelle (1991) [UNRELEASED]

Round 5 - Mr. Brownstone (1991) [UNRELEASED]

Round 6 - It's So Easy - Live Era version (1999)

Round 7 - Welcome To The Jungle - Live Era version (1999)

Round 8 - Since I Don't Have You (1994)

Round 9 - It's So Easy [alternate/original edit] (1989) [UNRELEASED]

Round 10 - Garden Of Eden (1992)

Round 11 - The Garden (1993)

Round 12 - Sweet Child O' Mine [black & white version] (1988)

Round 13 - ?

Round 23 - ?

Note: If a round ends in a tie,  the votes in the other rounds are taken into account and the song with the bigger sum of votes is the one that gets eliminated. It has happened twice so far, in round 8 and in round 10.

* I didn't include the three versions of Garden Of Eden separately, because the differences are insignificant and it's basically the same video.

Edited by Blackstar

50 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

I'm genuinely interested to know what you don't like about Estranged video. 

For one, live performance videos > story videos. I'd rather watch LALD, Dead Horse... Paradise City is probably their best video imo.

Estranged takes itself too seriously. Axl's soul leaving his body then crying in the shower, the tanker, the dolphins, Slash floating along doing his solo... I realize most of these poll results are based on nostalgia, but Estranged is a ridiculous video. November Rain is over the top but the video works - Estranged is over the top for the sake of it, attempting to be "epic".

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

For one, live performance videos > story videos. I'd rather watch LALD, Dead Horse... Paradise City is probably their best video imo.

Estranged takes itself too seriously. Axl's soul leaving his body then crying in the shower, the tanker, the dolphins, Slash floating along doing his solo... I realize most of these poll results are based on nostalgia, but Estranged is a ridiculous video. November Rain is over the top but the video works - Estranged is over the top for the sake of it, attempting to be "epic".

That's an opinion but the worst interpretation I've ever heard about Estranged. However I respect your pov. You're most probably a fan of real cinema. Where things make sense. That's why you like live footage.

Estranged music video is like a surreal painting. The whole thing is like a dream with unlimited possibilities. Have you ever seen Inception the movie? I think Estranged is the Inception of music videos. Or at least that's how much I love it. It's as intellectual as this band could get. Very respectful production as well. 

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

That's an opinion but the worst interpretation I've ever heard about Estranged. However I respect your pov.

Estranged music video is like a surreal painting. The whole thing is like a dream with unlimited possibilities. Have you ever seen Inception the movie? I think Estranged is the Inception of music videos. Or at least that's how much I love it. It's as intellectual as this band could get. Very respectful production as well. 

What it's going for, and what it actually is, are pretty different things... I wouldn’t compare it to Inception.

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

What it's going for, and what it actually is, are pretty different things... I wouldn’t compare it to Inception.

Not content wise. What I meant by that example was things don't seem to make sense but it's beautiful at least. Maybe better example would be David Lynch films. Surreal cinema. Axl' soul waking up, taking shower, slash floating on the water, Dolphin coming outta billboard and so on. 

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Not content wise. What I meant by that example was things don't seem to make sense but it's beautiful at least. Maybe better example would be David Lynch films. Surreal cinema. Axl' soul waking up, taking shower, slash floating on the water, Dolphin coming outta billboard and so on. 

I don't mind surreal videos, something like Heart Shaped Box comes to mind as a good one. Estranged has some cool shots and I can see why people like it, but it's Axl at his most pretentious, I wouldn't call it intellectual.