Soundcheck mysterious song

I thought Richard knew or worked with Frank prior to him being in GN'R, I assumed he helped him get the gig. If Brain did, then it must just be a coincidence. 

If I had to guess, Brain is there for Melissa. As far as they are involved, they probably don't even let Frank watch. ;) 

Forgot to mention that it's very likely Frank worked on material from CD2 already. Probably in spots like he did on the 2008 album, or maybe a song or two since he did do the entire drum take for the title cut on that album.

Since Bumblefoot recorded guitar on many of those songs too, Frank likely did as well on the drums. Frank was in the band when some songs were jumping between being CD1 and 2, so he's done at least a few.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2022 at 2:45 PM, Sweersa said:

I thought Richard knew or worked with Frank prior to him being in GN'R, I assumed he helped him get the gig. If Brain did, then it must just be a coincidence. 

If I had to guess, Brain is there for Melissa. As far as they are involved, they probably don't even let Frank watch. ;) 

Frank played with Richard in that band Love Spit Love. Brain didn't brought Frank to the gig.

Edited by Voodoochild
  • Like 2

Brain said in an interview in 2018 that he recorded drums on 25 to 30 (max) tracks and "thinks" that some more tracks were finished with Frank (it's unclear if "finished" includes vocals).

So I think that most unreleased tracks have Brain on drums. I doubt that Axl would have had Frank re-record them.

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Brain said in an interview in 2018 that he recorded drums on 25 to 30 (max) tracks and "thinks" that some more tracks were finished with Frank (it's unclear if "finished" includes vocals).

So I think that most unreleased tracks have Brain on drums. I doubt that Axl would have had Frank re-record them.

He re-recorded Hardschool, and that must have been a while ago as Slash said he used the drums to rework the songs, meaning that they were already done before Slash got to the song.

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

He re-recorded Hardschool, and that must have been a while ago as Slash said he used the drums to rework the songs, meaning that they were already done before Slash got to the song.

Yeah, apparently Hard School was one of the tracks Frank recorded on (although we're not 100% sure, but since Brain is not credited, I guess it's Frank). That doesn't mean that he re-recorded all of Brain's tracks though.

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, apparently Hard School was one of the tracks Frank recorded on (although we're not 100% sure, but since Brain is not credited, I guess it's Frank). That doesn't mean that he re-recorded all of Brain's tracks though.

Yeah that's true. Guess I just find it odd that he wouldn't get Frank to re do it all, as including everyone that's in the band seems like an obsession of his. 

Seems like Axl pretty much considers Frank a touring member. He likes his sound better in a live environment it seems. I’m glad that Axl would rather keep Brain on tracks when he can because Brain kicked complete fucking ass on the drums in the CD era. Frank re recording drums would be like DJ Ashba recording over Buckethead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Seems like Axl pretty much considers Frank a touring member. He likes his sound better in a live environment it seems. I’m glad that Axl would rather keep Brain on tracks when he can because Brain kicked complete fucking ass on the drums in the CD era. Frank re recording drums would be like DJ Ashba recording over Buckethead.

Yeah if we can get Brain drums then I'll be happy about it lol.

• GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Yeah that's true. Guess I just find it odd that he wouldn't get Frank to re do it all, as including everyone that's in the band seems like an obsession of his. 

Yes, I suppose he wanted to include Frank in some capacity, but not necessarily on everything - he seems to like Brain's drumming a lot. But even if Axl had wanted to have Frank re-record everything, it would have probably been difficult for practical reasons. Like, who would pay for studio time (judging from how long it took Brain to re-record Josh Freese's parts)? I doubt the label would be willing to spend so much money at that time.

If we’re gonna get Frankenstein’d songs with Slash and Duff playing over old vocal tracks, may as well also retain Brain’s drums. This band clearly doesn’t want to collaborate together on new material. I suspect the reason why it’s Brain on “Absurd” and Frank on “Hard Skool” is because Frank probably recorded drums for “Hard Skool” years ago. 

I know Fortus is on one or both of last year’s releases. Someone should ask him if his guitar was a pre-existing track or if he recorded new rhythm with Slash and Duff.

• Like 1

Frank has never spoken about his experience working with the CD material as much as Ron did but there's a half decent chance it was similar. Basically, here's all the songs, record your interpretations and parts for all of these and we'll pick and choose between what you've provided and what was there before.

It's why I'd hazard a guess he's taken a pass at almost all the songs in the vault.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

Brain absolutely sucked on 'You Could Be Mine'.

I never understood the praise.

I like Brain but specifically on YCBM I have to agree. There was no feeling or anything in how he played that song, I hated the way he did the intro.

28 minuti fa, Shacklermyrye ha detto:

Mi piace Brain ma in particolare su YCBM devo essere d'accordo. Non c'era sentimento o niente nel modo in cui suonava quella canzone, odiavo il modo in cui faceva l'introduzione.

YCBM is only done well by Matt. The guy is an asshole, mainly, but a very good drummer.

• Like 1

I thought I would look into Oklahoma a bit seeing as it could be this sound check song.

David Dominguez https://warmaudio.com/artist-david-dominguez/ was a studio engineer/ producer who started working with them in January 1998. He said in an interview with sp1at that the song was already written when they got to the studio.

The front cover of the village discs label that mix as being from 23rd of March 2000, and Rolling stone was played a version in 1999 but if they came into the studio with this song in january 98 then the song must have been written from somewhere between 19th April 1995 when the bombing happened and late 1997.

So aside from This I Love surely this has to be the oldest of the "Newgnr" songs at around 25 years old. 

3 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I can't remember where I read it but I swear Prostitute was first written on piano by Axl very very early, possibly pre Slash and Duff leaving. 

And Madagasgar is one of the first tracks written and recorded for CD, Pitman played the riff to axl on one of their first meetings early 98.

I think you're talking about This I Love. It was actually demoed in 1992 but Axl made the sound engineer erase it later on after Stephanie split.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I think you're talking about This I Love. It was actually demoed in 1992 but Axl made the sound engineer erase it later on after Stephanie split.

That probably is it yes haha. Although I suppose we'll never know who did what, especially the piano big guns or when the lyrics were written. Gahh to this day we still know so little about those sessions. 

• Like 1