The Spotify X-Files thread

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

This is a thread for those who haven't given up on this and want to continue the discussion that has monopolized the last 150 pages (or so) of the "New album" thread (starting from here).

To sum it up for those who haven't followed this at all:

Last year, about 10 days before Hard Skool was released, searching for the title (or part of it) on Spotify brought up GN'R as an artist, first in the U.S. only and then gradually in other countries. Something similar has occurred with other artists that were about to release new music (this phenomenon is unique to Spotify and hasn't happened on any other streaming platforms). The same started happening about three weeks ago with GN'R coming up in the search results for titles of unreleased tracks, beginning with State of Grace showing up in the UK and then gradually the same song and other tracks popping up in other countries. So there's been speculation on whether it means something or it's just the Spotify algorithm causing it (with the most recent indications pointing more towards the latter).

Here is what showed up as of yesterday (pasting my post from the "new album" thread):

I searched in 42 countries (on the Spotify webpage on the browser, not logged in) using VPN, for the sake of comparison with the updates by members from these countries and out of curiosity about whether there are results in other countries we haven't had updates from (note: I didn't search for covers). Of course I'm not going to do this again (it's been fun, but that's just too much, lol). The countries are in alphabetical order and the titles are in order of appearance since all this started (and typed with lower case letters because that's only how it works on Spotify search):

Argentina: state of grace, atlas sh, the general, soul mo

Australia: state of grace, atlas shrugged, soul mon

Austria: state of grace, atlas s

Belgium: state of grace, atlas sh, the general, soul mo, thyme

Brazil: state of grace, atlas shrugged, the general, soul mo

Bulgaria: -

Canada: state of gra, atlas shrugged, the general, soul mon

Chile: state of grace

Croatia: -

Czech Republic: -

Denmark: state of grace

Estonia: -

Finland: state of grace, atlas sh, the general, soul mo

France: -

Germany: state of grace, atlas shrugged

Greece: state of grace

Hungary: -

Indonesia: -

Ireland: state of grace, the general, soul mo

Israel: -

Italy: -

Japan: -

Latvia: -

Lithuania: -

Mexico: -

Netherlands: state of grace, atlas sh

New Zealand: state of grace

Norway: state of grace, atlas shrug, the general, soul mo, perhaps

Poland: state of grace, atlas shr, the general

Portugal: state of grace, atlas s

Romania: -

Serbia: -

Slovakia: -

Slovenia: -

South Africa: -

South Korea: -

Spain: state of gr

Sweden: state of grace, atlas shrugged, the general, soul mon, perhaps, thyme (Hard Skool comes up), zodiac (Hard Skool comes up), oklahoma

Switzerland: -

Turkey: -

UK: state of grace, atlas shrugged, the general, soul monster, perhaps, thyme, cuban s

USA: state of grace, atlas shrugged, soul monster, thyme, cuban sk (the general didn’t show up)

So in most of the countries we haven't had updates from (which probably means that there are no forum members there searching) there are no GN'R related results. However, there are also no results for countries that have people searching (France, Italy and likely a couple of others).

Thanks!!! Nice work

• Thanks 1

This all + the fact that GNR are soundchecking something unknown right now really makes me believe this is not just nothing and that something is finally going to come out. Can confirm State Of Grace and Atlas Shrugged do indeed bring up GNR in Germany for absolutely no apparent reason.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

Its hard to believe but is adding perfectly up to what Slash said:

“We’ve been doing a lot of material that’s been sort of sitting around for a while. So that will be a whole focused endeavour unto itself.”

In a new interview with Classic Rock, Slash confirmed that a new album was on the way. “There’s new Guns N’ Roses material coming out as we speak, and we’ll probably keep putting it out until the entire record’s worth of stuff is done and then put it out solid,” he said. “It’s cool. I’m enjoying working on the stuff and having a good time doing it.”

• Like 1

Can confirm I’ve just tried each and every unreleased Village track within the framework of doing my part for the Czech Republic – and not a single hit. 
I should point out, though, that I’m not registered on Spotify (and can’t be arsed just because of this), so I don’t know whether that affects anything. 
At one point when I was typing Dub Suplex, something called Guns of Brixton emerged, and it almost gave me a heart attack! :) Close, but no cigar. 
Anyway, there you go. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, betterman said:

Its hard to believe but is adding perfectly up to what Slash said:

“We’ve been doing a lot of material that’s been sort of sitting around for a while. So that will be a whole focused endeavour unto itself.”

In a new interview with Classic Rock, Slash confirmed that a new album was on the way. “There’s new Guns N’ Roses material coming out as we speak, and we’ll probably keep putting it out until the entire record’s worth of stuff is done and then put it out solid,” he said. “It’s cool. I’m enjoying working on the stuff and having a good time doing it.”

Totally agree!

Slash said the UYI box was coming in summer and they announce it the day before summer end!

Maybe they just change the plans (as they always do) that were going to put out single by single and they decide to put It out together!

It's diffucult to believe this in Guns N Roses but there are some clues that point to this direction!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Can confirm I’ve just tried each and every unreleased Village track within the framework of doing my part for the Czech Republic – and not a single hit. 
I should point out, though, that I’m not registered on Spotify (and can’t be arsed just because of this), so I don’t know whether that affects anything. 
At one point when I was typing Dub Suplex, something called Guns of Brixton emerged, and it almost gave me a heart attack! :) Close, but no cigar. 
Anyway, there you go. 

The Guns of Brixton is an absolutely killer (IMO) track off one of the greatest double albums in rock history (again IMO :))- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_Brixton.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Anyway, there you go. 

At least the algorithm recommended you something good ;)

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Tomorrow’s self inflicted disappointment is going to be off the charts…

1) They’re either dropping a surprise album…or not.

2) They were sound checking a top secret song from said album for the Argentina show…or not.

I’m already preemptively ashamed of myself for being disappointed. 😆

The mIn reason I think they won't is because they played Absurd and HS live before they were available on spotufy etc. I doubt we're waking up to a new song or album tonorrow before the world hears how it sounds live but who effing knows

• GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, Pskihq92 said:

The mIn reason I think they won't is because they played Absurd and HS live before they were available on spotufy etc. I doubt we're waking up to a new song or album tonorrow before the world hears how it sounds live but who effing knows

And also because I think if they intend to drop an album, they would do live a couple of new songs and then drop the album like 2 or 3 weeks later!

My bet is that in the next 2 weeks we can hear a new song, and between the final of October and the first of November we can hear the album ( if It is one) but I asume that a new song will be dropped ''soon''

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This is a thread for those who haven't given up on this and want to continue the discussion that has monopolized the last 150 pages (or so) of the "New album" thread (starting from here).

To sum it up for those who haven't followed this at all:

Last year, about 10 days before Hard Skool was released, searching for the title (or part of it) on Spotify brought up GN'R as an artist, first in the U.S. only and then gradually in other countries. Something similar has occurred with other artists that were about to release new music (this phenomenon is unique to Spotify and hasn't happened on any other streaming platforms). The same started happening about three weeks ago with GN'R coming up in the search results for titles of unreleased tracks, beginning with State of Grace showing up in the UK and then gradually the same song and other tracks popping up in other countries. So there's been speculation on whether it means something or it's just the Spotify algorithm causing it (with the most recent indications pointing more towards the latter).

Here is what showed up as of yesterday (pasting my post from the "new album" thread):

I searched in 42 countries (on the Spotify webpage on the browser, not logged in) using VPN, for the sake of comparison with the updates by members from these countries and out of curiosity about whether there are results in other countries we haven't had updates from (note: I didn't search for covers). Of course I'm not going to do this again (it's been fun, but that's just too much, lol). The countries are in alphabetical order and the titles are in order of appearance since all this started (and typed with lower case letters because that's only how it works on Spotify search):

Argentina: state of grace, atlas sh, the general, soul mo

Australia: state of grace, atlas shrugged, soul mon

Austria: state of grace, atlas s

Belgium: state of grace, atlas sh, the general, soul mo, thyme

Brazil: state of grace, atlas shrugged, the general, soul mo

Bulgaria: -

Canada: state of gra, atlas shrugged, the general, soul mon

Chile: state of grace

Croatia: -

Czech Republic: -

Denmark: state of grace

Estonia: -

Finland: state of grace, atlas sh, the general, soul mo

France: -

Germany: state of grace, atlas shrugged

Greece: state of grace

Hungary: -

Indonesia: -

Ireland: state of grace, the general, soul mo

Israel: -

Italy: -

Japan: -

Latvia: -

Lithuania: -

Mexico: -

Netherlands: state of grace, atlas sh

New Zealand: state of grace

Norway: state of grace, atlas shrug, the general, soul mo, perhaps

Poland: state of grace, atlas shr, the general

Portugal: state of grace, atlas s

Romania: -

Serbia: -

Slovakia: -

Slovenia: -

South Africa: -

South Korea: -

Spain: state of gr

Sweden: state of grace, atlas shrugged, the general, soul mon, perhaps, thyme (Hard Skool comes up), zodiac (Hard Skool comes up), oklahoma

Switzerland: -

Turkey: -

UK: state of grace, atlas shrugged, the general, soul monster, perhaps, thyme, cuban s

USA: state of grace, atlas shrugged, soul monster, thyme, cuban sk (the general didn’t show up)

So in most of the countries we haven't had updates from (which probably means that there are no forum members there searching) there are no GN'R related results. However, there are also no results for countries that have people searching (France, Italy and likely a couple of others).

Thank YOU finally!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

Guns of Brixton

That's a good song. My favorite version is the cover by Rupa & the April Fishes.

4 hours ago, Pskihq92 said:

They didn't play HS before it was released.

9 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's a good song. My favorite version is the cover by Rupa & the April Fishes.

They didn't play HS before it was released.

Well damn.  I really thought they did but you're right lol it was released 2 days before they played it. So only Absurd was played live first