The Spotify X-Files thread

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

More than likely Slash has reworked the songs as he's said he has, and we'll be spoon fed them every two years for the foreseeable future. That's if anything more happens at all.

I’ll always be excited when new GNR music materializes be it 1 song or 14, but Ive always hated this idea of releasing eps sporadically and maybe collect them into an album at some point, maybe, idea. Fucking hated it…Which of course means it’s probably what they’ll still do. 🙄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I’ll always be excited when new GNR music materializes be it 1 song or 14, but Ive always hated this idea of releasing eps sporadically and maybe collect them into an album at some point, maybe, idea. Fucking hated it…Which of course means it’s probably what they’ll still do. 🙄

Yes, it's total bullshit and only serves to give them something to tour on. I've unfortunately just accepted that we get what we get with this band even if I'm not happy with it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Yes, it's total bullshit and only serves to give them something to tour on. I've unfortunately just accepted that we get what we get with this band even if I'm not happy with it.

Not to mention, the idea of using EPs to “spice up” every new tour leg ship sailed in June.  Now it only serves to delay a hypothetical album release. Dumb. Also forces us to put stock into stuff like this whole “UYI III” idea, hoping for them to do the right/obvious thing…despite themselves. 🫣

Edited by sofine11

I think this spotify thing might be not related just to the actual geo-position but to the account used as well.

I'm italian and I access Spotify through an italian FB account. I'm currently in the UK and I've been here since this Spotify-GNR thing started. I casually searched some of the songs here in the UK with my usual italian Spotify account, but I never got any results. I searched again now, after seeing some Italian users mentioning they started to get results, and I'm finally getting stuff. 

Specifically:

- atlas sh gives me GNR as the first result in "Artist" plus a GNR playlist, GNR radio and two 80's rock playlist (one of them using GNR as the cover image). If i type any other letters after "sh", no more GNR.

I just tried tried all the other songs mentioned in the first page of this thread, but nothing else came up for me.

I'd love a UYI 3 cause it'd mean a whole new record, and yeah, nobody would care as if we were still in the mid 90s but I don't know if Axl would love the idea... based on what happened with CD, he seems to care too much about others's opinions (except for his hardcore fanbase), but yeah if they do it, it could be a marketing bomb, it would be amazing. 

But realistically I'm just waiting for them to finally drop CD2 even with a generic title like "Gn'F'nR's", (but properly release it, eligible for charts) and that's it. Now that they have their own record company, I don't wanna believe that they'll keep doing the EP route, or else, let's see how well they do with more "digital-only-only available-through their stupid-merch-website-no promotion-and fumbled in-every way-possible-releases".

If they made it clear again that they have no album prepared, we have to assume that they in fact decided for the EP route, and if it's not released for the next US leg, we will have pretty much confirmation that plans didn't changed, plans were cancelled for good.

Edited by metalavenger99
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, metalavenger99 said:

I'd love a UYI 3 cause it'd mean a whole new record, and yeah, nobody would care as if we were still in the mid 90s but I don't know if Axl would love the idea... based on what happened with CD, he seems to care too much about others's opinions (except for his hardcore fanbase), but yeah if they do it, it could be a marketing bomb, it would be amazing. 

But realistically I'm just waiting for them to finally drop CD2 even with a generic title like "Gn'F'nR's", (but properly release it, eligible for charts) and that's it. Now that they have their own record company, I don't wanna believe that they'll keep doing the EP route, or else, let's see how well they do with more "digital-only-only available-through their stupid-merch-website-no promotion-and fumbled in-every way-possible-releases".

If they made it clear again that they have no album prepared, we have to assume that they in fact decided for the EP route, and if it's not released for the next US leg, we will have pretty much confirmation that plans didn't changed, plans were cancelled for good.

They honestly might just not even care how their new songs perform. They barely promoted Absurd and Hard Skool. They released a lyrics video for Hard Skool like 4 months after release? Which means one of two things, either they geniunely don't care about the sales so they won't bother with good marketing techniques like UYI or a full album instead of singles, or they are doing a self fulfilling prophecy where its like "see? no one wanted new music anyways. back to the never ending AFD/UYI nostalgia tour!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinaleblood said:

I think this spotify thing might be not related just to the actual geo-position but to the account used as well.

I'm italian and I access Spotify through an italian FB account. I'm currently in the UK and I've been here since this Spotify-GNR thing started. I casually searched some of the songs here in the UK with my usual italian Spotify account, but I never got any results. I searched again now, after seeing some Italian users mentioning they started to get results, and I'm finally getting stuff. 

Specifically:

- atlas sh gives me GNR as the first result in "Artist" plus a GNR playlist, GNR radio and two 80's rock playlist (one of them using GNR as the cover image). If i type any other letters after "sh", no more GNR.

I just tried tried all the other songs mentioned in the first page of this thread, but nothing else came up for me.

Yes, when you're on your account you see the same things regardless of location (or VPN), because it "recognizes" you as being from your country of origin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, when you're on your account you see the same things regardless of location (or VPN), because it "recognizes" you as being from your country of origin.

Yeah, Spotify accounts are region based, like Amazon Prime, you can't just log in and use a VPN to access foreign content, that's the reason nobody can listen to OMG if they are not in the US

• Like 1

UYI III is a pipedream. IIRC I remember a quote where Axl is not really fond of those albums, too many bad memories associated with that time and in particular he doesn't like the way the drums sound. I also kind of doubt the name of a new album is gonna be Chinese Democracy II, that would just be freaking hilarious with Slash and Duff back.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

I have a hunch that the launching of “GN’R Records” somehow opened a floodgate for all completed GNR track titles. Both our knowledge that the new label existed and these song titles popping up happened around the same time, and it’s probably not a coincidence.

How that would or could translate to an actual new album release though I have no idea.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

This was the most exciting thing on GNR world, don't let it die :nervous::lol:

I searched on Spotify after a long time and Thyme/The General aren't working anymore (USA) still nothing for Se7en, Perhaps, Oklahoma, Zodiac, realdoll.com...

Cuban Sk... brings up Absurd and GNR first instead of actual Cuban stuff:lol:, sometimes I wanna give up and then I see this nonsense...

• Like 1

I think we can say with a reasonable level of certainty that the Spotify stuff is very positive in terms of new music from GnR.  I think we should accept that the band will be heavily promoting the illusions boxset until after the holidays and it would be non-sensical to release a new record during that time. Let’s hope something develops regarding new music early 2023.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

16 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

Specifically:

It's been tested with VPN + visiting open.spotify.com in incognito tabs as a not signed in user. GN'R turning up in the search results for these terms isn't related to the currently signed in user.

5 hours ago, metalavenger99 said:

This was the most exciting thing on GNR world, don't let it die :nervous::lol:

I searched on Spotify after a long time and Thyme/The General aren't working anymore (USA) still nothing for Se7en, Perhaps, Oklahoma, Zodiac, realdoll.com...

Cuban Sk... brings up Absurd and GNR first instead of actual Cuban stuff:lol:, sometimes I wanna give up and then I see this nonsense...

State of Grace, Atlas, Soul Monster, The General, Thyme still give me results in the UK. Perhaps doesn't anymore but can see how it's easy for other results to start taking precedence on that term, it's a common word and just a one word search term. Still get GN'R results for Perhaps on a Sweden VPN but no longer anything for Zodiac or Se7ven.

We now have a timeframe for comparison as Queen's Face it Alone will be released on Oct 13. That's nearly a month of Spotify searches returning the band in advance.

https://www.queenonline.com/faceitalone/

Their shortened link is already up and redirects to the site above (https://queen.lnk.to/FaceItAlone), while the google search on the domain (site:queen.lnk.to) still hasn't picked up on the new page. 

With VPN to Sweden, se7en still brings up Absurd for me (it hasn't brought up GN'R as an artist so far) and zodiac still brings up Hard Skool and Absurd lower in the list. Oklahoma doesn't bring up anything again. Perhaps still brings up GN'R as an artist.

VPN to USA: the general and thyme don't appear anymore (the general had already stopped appearing when I did the "research" that is in the OP of the thread). Cuban sk still comes up.

• Sad 1

Damn I can't imagine the GNR artist's pick section on Spotify changing out of nowhere for a CDII song, at least not until November Rain is up there for like a month. There is also a merch section, I can't see them not using it for the UYI box.

I don't understand why would they upload metadata so much in advance...

I don't think anything is going to happen this year in terms of new music. They're very clearly promoting the UYI box, with this single and now the music video, and probably the November Rain 2022 single in November. This is pretty upsetting in my eyes, we've seen so much of AFD and UYI stuff that I think I'm really tired of all this shit lol. But there are positives:

1.) These songs have likely been uploaded or submitted in some form, so GNR is likely preparing a potential release, it's just not imminent, and we have a good idea of what the tracklist could be if it's true.

2.) They've already done AFD nostalgia tour, the UYI nostalgia era, after this where's there left to go? Either next year is the new music tour if they want to go back to the states again or the final tour. Can't see them touring everywhere again (minus South America which always loves GNR regardless) without something in the future.

Who knows with this band, I can get pretty negative about them, but I think right now we just gotta get through the UYI era re-tread and after, something new could surface next year, or 2024 if they take 2023 off.

• Like 3