Look out Paul Huge/Paul Tobias

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure about his personality, but the "he couldn't play" thing is bullshit. It truly is. In only 2 live concerts we have recordings with him, he played way closer to Izzy's original parts and with better handling than Gilby ever did it. I'm saying from a technical standpoint - he was more than capable. 

Then again, Slash also said the Chinese Democracy solos didn't have melody. 

I think the 'he can't play' quote wasn't based on his technical abilities but more on his style. When they released SFTD I had no idea Huge was playing guitar and I didn't notice his parts at all. Hell even today I have some trouble to say who plays which lick.

Slash said more than once that in his opinion guitar is about personality, which he couldn't see/listen in Paul's guitar playing.

• Like 1

As others have said, it sounds like a lot of the tension came from the fact that Axl foisted him on the band, and continued to do so once everyone else disapproved. The final straw seems to have been Axl sneaking Paul's parts on "Sympathy for the Devil". Also, it seems he might have had a better shot at fitting in if he had been deferential to the existing band members, but by their accounts, he also had an air of "I'm here and you can't make me leave". 

It seems the fact that he had no prior experience recording music professionally or touring played a factor as well. Even Tommy Stinson (without specifically naming Paul) did some interview where he said something along the lines of "some of the guys making the record hadn't even made a record before, but I learned to begrudgingly accept that they had good ideas as well." 

Honestly, at this stage, I'd really be interested in an in-depth Paul interview/profile more than just about anyone else. He really was the guy who, in some form or another, saw everything go down from the early 1980s through at least 2002 (if not later). I imagine he'd have some amazing insights. 

Also, my "controversial" Gn'R has always been that I actually really dig Paul's "response" parts to Slash's solo on SftD. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

15 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

You do know that is bullshit :D with three guitar players in the band at the time and only 2 shows with Huge you could even say (or hear) that it’s pretty ridiculous to say that

15 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

TBF - @Voodoochild appears quite knowledgeable on this kind of stuff so I wouldn’t put it past him to ‘have an ear’ to be able to call that out.

Haha thanks. My years listening to crap bootlegs helped a lot in my ear training. 

Hope I don't sound too pedantic, but to me I can hear clear as day what he plays. Most of the rhythm stuff was played by either him or Robin, and knowing what Izzy did and what Robin and Bucket (who plays mostly lead only and ocasional power chords), it's not too difficult to isolate Paul's guitar in my ears. 

13 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

We have a great quality recording in the HOB 2001 show, I agree, it's clear Paul was closer to izzy in style than Gilby who really wasn't my cup of tea. 

Yeah, Rocket Queen is the best example. There's also Paul's very good work in SOD/The Blues, which is very tasteful to me. 

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I think the 'he can't play' quote wasn't based on his technical abilities but more on his style. When they released SFTD I had no idea Huge was playing guitar and I didn't notice his parts at all. Hell even today I have some trouble to say who plays which lick.

Slash said more than once that in his opinion guitar is about personality, which he couldn't see/listen in Paul's guitar playing.

I can totally see that. To me Paul doesn't really have a style or signature sound/playing at all, and maybe Slash took issue with that too.

About SFTD, I think he and/or Axl wanted to get back at what Izzy did in the AFD, with crunchy and percussive rhythm sound with a bit of lead here and there. Listening with a good pair of stereo speakers or headphones, you can identify Paul is assigned only in the left channel, even for the leads. Or you can check my cover on YouTube, which I won't post a link here because we all know what haha. 

Funny that I was listening to SFTD yesterday in my car and I found the left channel got really drowned with Slash's solo coming in the center channel. Maybe Axl thought it wasn't that loud? hahaha

8 minutes ago, Spaghetti4twenty said:

His take on them certainly don’t 😂

Hahaha I totally agree. Sadly.

19 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Based on Slash's book I always got the impression it was a combination of Slash just not vibing personally and musically with him mixed with perhaps some territorial power struggles.  A guitarist being told he has to work with a guitarist he doesn't want to, will never end well lol

Didn't Axl get Zakk Wylde to audition in 1995 as a way to appease Slash? And yeah the power struggle and lack of communication was huge during that era post UYI from 94-96. I get the sense that he barely had contact with Axl during those years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I think Slash was more keen on Zakk Wylde, yet felt the overall sound was too much like 2 competing lead guitarists. 

It’s funny though because Fortus seems like a player who could easily be a lead too.

Indeed. But Fortus doesn't have Zakk's status (and charisma, talent etc), so I think it's safe to say that Richard wouldn't overtake Slash's position and/or preference with the crowd.

How do you all think Axl would have reacted had Slash brought in another singer, then unbeknownst to Axl, had him sing over some Axl’s parts on a studio track?

Slash and Axl were basically jockeying for direction of the band at the time. Axl was already firing people (Gilby, Sorum) and had years back hired Dizzy, and now Paul. I’m sure the Slash/Duff contingent saw all this as disrespectful since it wasn’t a democratic decision.

But we’re all just guessing. It was probably impossible for those guys to make decisions together on anything back then because everybody was politicking for more control and power. Maybe in Axl’s mind, bringing in a friend to help write and record was no different than what they’d always done (like with West Arkeen, Shannon Hoon). But there was just too much turmoil in the band in the middle and late ‘90s to make any of that work. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 6:20 PM, Nice Boy said:

I think Slash was more keen on Zakk Wylde, yet felt the overall sound was too much like 2 competing lead guitarists. 

It’s funny though because Fortus seems like a player who could easily be a lead too.

At a certain point after just jamming I think Zakk got a call from Ozzy to tour with him again since there wasn't much going on with Guns in 1995. Interestingly I think Zakk did have a guest appearance with the band around 2011-12.

13 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

he must be the one person from the band who has never done an interview? I mean I have never heard him speak, bet he has a hell of a story to tell

He said that he would like to talk but he can't because of NDA's. (I had posted about it in the similar thread from last year).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Sad thought but Axl is gone I think we're gonna be flooded with interviews, stuff we never knew and songs 

Sadly it will be like an MJ thing I think.  People will be lining up for interviews then they will probably even put the remix albums out

On 9/29/2022 at 6:05 PM, Voodoochild said:

Not sure about his personality, but the "he couldn't play" thing is bullshit. It truly is. In only 2 live concerts we have recordings with him, he played way closer to Izzy's original parts and with better handling than Gilby ever did it. I'm saying from a technical standpoint - he was more than capable. 

Slash didn't do justice with Chinese solos either. Chinese has some crappy songs but really good ones also, like TWAT, IRS or SOD (in my humble opinion)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He said that he would like to talk but he can't because of NDA's. (I had posted about it in the similar thread from last year).

NDA's: This is the topic we all GNR fans should address. If we could have the word of the people involved in the band we could have better "facts", but due to this contracts people are not able to talk, at least in an honest way (Huge, Stinson, Robin, Bucket, Bumble, Ashba, Pitman, etc).

On 9/29/2022 at 5:05 PM, Voodoochild said:

When I met Gilby we actually chatted briefly about that. I recalled an interview where he said he accidentally learned Slash's rhythm parts and asked him if that was a conscious decision or not. He basically said he had so much material to learn on such short notice and didn't have the best means to listen to the songs so he just learned everything and had to quickly change gears when they met in rehearsal.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

32 minutes ago, James Bond said:

When I met Gilby we actually chatted briefly about that. I recalled an interview where he said he accidentally learned Slash's rhythm parts and asked him if that was a conscious decision or not. He basically said he had so much material to learn on such short notice and didn't have the best means to listen to the songs so he just learned everything and had to quickly change gears when they met in rehearsal.

That's interesting. Still, he spent years with the band but still didn't get to improve or actually learn some of those stuff. He seemed to know how to play Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy parts just fine, on the other hand.

19 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Sad thought but Axl is gone I think we're gonna be flooded with interviews, stuff we never knew and songs 

I imagine it'll be like Prince's estate releasing all this stuff that Prince would've never personally released himself unless Axl explicitly forbids it.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:35 PM, Blackstar said:

Are these NDAs a life long thing? The ones I've been involved with or witnessed, there has always been a time put on the agreement. 

On 10/3/2022 at 8:04 AM, Voodoochild said:

That's interesting. Still, he spent years with the band but still didn't get to improve or actually learn some of those stuff. He seemed to know how to play Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy parts just fine, on the other hand.

Sorry but that's bullshit. Gilby did fine in his time in the band. His lead guitar intros to Patience and Don't Cry. His joint lead guitar playing and interplay with Slash at the start of You Could Be Mine.

Even when Axl n Slash weren't talking and were going thru other people to pick the songs for Live Era 87-93, it's funny how most of what was on it was from the Gilby era. So he obviously did a good job in their eyes.

• Like 1

Well the story goes that he came in with an attitude like he belonged and that ticked them off. He was also caught in between the power struggle with Axl trying to force one of his guys into the band after being dismissive of Gilby and i think quite reasonably they were like fuck no you wont. Axl then brought him in to play answers to Slash's solo on SFTD that pissed Slash off even more. He became the face of the strife.

Edited by -W.A.R-

1 hour ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Sorry but that's bullshit. Gilby did fine in his time in the band. His lead guitar intros to Patience and Don't Cry. His joint lead guitar playing and interplay with Slash at the start of You Could Be Mine.

Even when Axl n Slash weren't talking and were going thru other people to pick the songs for Live Era 87-93, it's funny how most of what was on it was from the Gilby era. So he obviously did a good job in their eyes.

Not surprised about your nickname here. :lol:

Those intros you mentioned are nothing, really. And the Live Era stuff was just what had the better recording quality and easier to sort off. He did good enough, and I do wish he had not being erased in Rocket Queen in the same album.