Any King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard fans?

Cosmo

I've been into KG for around two years now and man, they're quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite bands. 

These dudes are basically the anti-GnR. They're one of the most prolific bands out there period. This month they're releasing three albums. 

And what I love about them the most is - you never know what the album will sound like. They have release everything - from acoustic albums to thrash metal, going through prog and doom, pop and heavy psych.

And the albums have "special conditions" around them, for example, they have released three albums with microtonal-converted and tuned instruments, used in traditional eastern music. They have released an album composed and played with kids' and toy instruments, an album made during the pandemic where they composed, recorded and released the album without getting together, a western audio book, an album that is one continuous jam that progresses through all tracks and loops perfectly, and more.

Loving their jammy new single, Iron Lung, off Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava, their new album released today. 

And they have two other albums coming out in October - Laminated Denim, coming out in a few days, and Changes, coming out by the end of the month.

Anyways, here's Iron Lung:

Edited by Cosmo

3 hours ago, Mansin Humanity said:

these guys fuck. new album sounds pretty great on first listen, been jamming on ice v a lot for the last few weeks. the period of a lot of microtonal stuff recently lost me a little bit, more a fan of their heavier stuff but it's all quality. my two favorite albums are infest the rats' nest and nonagon infinity.

I liked KG and LW but gotta say Butterfly 3000 and Omnium Gatherum didn’t really get me that much. This new one is great though! My favorite albums are probably Polygondwanaland and Gumboot Soup, but that changes all the time 😂

• Like 1

New album coming out tomorrow called Laminated Denim. It's supposed to be the precursor of Made in Timeland, which is, most definitely, Gizz's strangest and most mysterious album to date. Hyped for it. I usually put on Made in Timeland as relaxing background music while I'm working or working out. Definitely not a sitdown and listen to this on headphones type of album. Wonder if this will follow the same style. Hope so.

22 minutes ago, Jakey Styley said:

A lot of my friends are into them, but they have so much music. Don’t know where to start.

Depends on the type of music you’re into. But I recommend the most popular albums:

- Polygondwanaland (Proggy)

- Nonagon Infinity (more heavy psych/jam based)

- I’m in Your Mind Fuzz (psych/garage)

Then go some fan favorites:

- Fishing For Fishies

- Gumboot Soup

- Quarters!

- Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

And Finally, some more experimental ones:

- Infect The Rat’s Nest

- Butterfly 3000

- Laminated Denim

- Flying Microtonal Banana

Then dig into the rest of their vast discography, if you wish! 

To share some more random thoughts. I love that they put out probably everything they record, even if a lot of those albums are full of fillers. I also think they're the best when they do Turkish/microtonal stuff and high energy heavier stuff - I don't like their take on the indie pop. 

If I had to pick my 3 favorite songs it would be those:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Their third album release of October is out. Changes is available on all streaming platforms, as well as vinyl, through Gizzverse

Although it is certainly better than I expected after the single I Hate Dancing, I found it to be my least favorite of the three so far. But it still needs more listens.

Changes-Digital_724x.jpg?v=1661962164

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I love these guys. Awesome to see them hitting new heights. Saw them 3x at red rocks last week, was magical. Dropping the second drummer was the best move they could have made; Cavs has really been able to morph into one of my favorite drummers on the planet these past few years.

Anyway, the new album fucks so hard, it's wild. I can't pick a favourite track yet, I'm still way too hot on the whole thing.

Anyone curious about this band and still yet to take the plunge: if you like metal, check out Petro Dragonic Apocalypse.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 10:56 AM, highvoltage said:

I love these guys. Awesome to see them hitting new heights. Saw them 3x at red rocks last week, was magical. Dropping the second drummer was the best move they could have made; Cavs has really been able to morph into one of my favorite drummers on the planet these past few years.

Anyway, the new album fucks so hard, it's wild. I can't pick a favourite track yet, I'm still way too hot on the whole thing.

Anyone curious about this band and still yet to take the plunge: if you like metal, check out Petro Dragonic Apocalypse.

Just listened to it full for the first time. It might be better than Infect The Rat’s Nest. So good! 

• 4 months later...

Their new album, The Silver Chord, came out today. Very different. Love how the extended versions of the songs connect to their last album’s. 

Ordered the special extended version on vinyl. Expect it to arrive sooner than The General 😂