2023 WORLD TOUR

13 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Glastonbury could be terrible for them. 

If they don't REALLY perform well they'll get torn to shreds by people as it goes out live on TV here and Brits are notoriously brutal with this sort of thing! 

For many people this will be the first time they've seen proper footage of the band in years and years, and I can't see them being kind. 

So what you're saying is, it would be the perfect place to play a new setlist that utilizes Axl's baritone voice? :P

If Axl just rolls off the couch and wheezes his way through a normal show, they deserve to get torn to shreds. I'm looking forward to the memes.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

So what you're saying is, it would be the perfect place to play a new setlist that utilizes Axl's baritone voice? :P

If Axl just rolls off the couch and wheezes his way through a normal show, they deserve to get torn to shreds. I'm looking forward to the memes.

They'll be a meme by the end of 'It's So Easy' I'd reckon! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

If they don't REALLY perform well they'll get torn to shreds by people as it goes out live on TV here and Brits are notoriously brutal with this sort of thing! 

For many people this will be the first time they've seen proper footage of the band in years and years, and I can't see them being kind. 

Just crank up Slash's guitar, and make sure you can hardly hear Mickey. Blame it on bad sound of the place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

It's fine. It may be the only way they can finally stop the endless touring and fuck off for good.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Couldn't agree more. I think this is a bad idea. If you're it's great but Axl would have to deliver on a 1993/2010 scale to get a fair turn by the British press. I'm surprised they're racing back to London after last Summer's catastrophe.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

Couldn't agree more. I think this is a bad idea. If you're it's great but Axl would have to deliver on a 1993/2010 scale to get a fair turn by the British press. I'm surprised they're racing back to London after last Summer's catastrophe.

I think Axl probably wants to make it up... and the promoters offered them a big wedge of cash. 

I think people would accept 2017/2018 Axl vocals. If people hear a HQ mix of what I expect Axl to sound like in 2023, they will be killed online... but people will still go to the show.

11 hours ago, allwaystired said:

They're going to get torn to shreds sadly. There's already a mixed reaction mainly because Glastonbury has been viewed as a very progressive festival, 50/50 women men, lots of alternative acts from different backgrounds and race. and the 3 headliners are 3 white rock/pop acts. and obviously GnRs history doesn't always fit. Someone needs to infiltrate and show them all of the vids of axl hitting the trump pinata, or the tweets. But yes, rolling stones got abuse on social for their live performance, paul mcartney, jay z etc. Unless axl sounds like 2010 and they cut a lot of the crap in the set (meandering solos, unknown covers) they will never be able to set foot in the UK again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

They're going to get torn to shreds sadly. There's already a mixed reaction mainly because Glastonbury has been viewed as a very progressive festival, 50/50 women men, lots of alternative acts from different backgrounds and race. and the 3 headliners are 3 white rock/pop acts. and obviously GnRs history doesn't always fit. Someone needs to infiltrate and show them all of the vids of axl hitting the trump pinata, or the tweets. But yes, rolling stones got abuse on social for their live performance, paul mcartney, jay z etc. Unless axl sounds like 2010 and they cut a lot of the crap in the set (meandering solos, unknown covers) they will never be able to set foot in the UK again.

What a load of rubbish. Yes, there will inevitably be click bait headlines about why GN'R don't fit Glasto (Just like when Metallica played) but to say that this press will have a big impact on their following in the UK is silly.

I hope they shorten the set and do a "best of" but I doubt Axl will compromise.

Glastonbury is the Insta festival. It sells out before the line up is announced. I personally can't understand why they'd want to play it.  Although their spotify streams and tshirt sales probably will sky rocket.

No proper GN'R fans will be there (or very few) so I see no reason for your claim they will never set foot in UK again.

Also, they don't have to air the full performance. Stones only allowed a few songs. GN'R will probably take same route.

Those who were here in 2010 will remember the Reading Show got bad press...but the tour later that year was a big success,

Edited by reayj2003
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Glastonbury sounds not fun at all.

8 hours ago, reayj2003 said:

What a load of rubbish. Yes, there will inevitably be click bait headlines about why GN'R don't fit Glasto (Just like when Metallica played) but to say that this press will have a big impact on their following in the UK is silly.

I hope they shorten the set and do a "best of" but I doubt Axl will compromise.

Glastonbury is the Insta festival. It sells out before the line up is announced. I personally can't understand why they'd want to play it.  Although their spotify streams and tshirt sales probably will sky rocket.

No proper GN'R fans will be there (or very few) so I see no reason for your claim they will never set foot in UK again.

Also, they don't have to air the full performance. Stones only allowed a few songs. GN'R will probably take same route.

Those who were here in 2010 will remember the Reading Show got bad press...but the tour later that year was a big success,

Lol yes, I was at reading, GnR were over an hour late and staged a sit down protest. That got bad press but was also still seen as 'bad boys GnR' plus axl sounded like a god compared to how he sounds now. Even then people said he sounded shite. He actually sounded lesser than his 2010 average, but was still 100000x better than he has sounded this decade. That is why GnR will be mocked and ridiculed. 

7 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Echoing what people before me are saying - they will get absolutely torn to shreds.

I was at Reading in 2010 and Axl sounded stunning yet he was destroyed in the press. Add on 13 years and significant vocal decline and you have a recipe for disaster.

100% this, his voice backthen was good, but he was battered for being shite. Now he actually is shite, it'll be bad. 

7 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

But as what many here would say- Axl sounds great live. It’s just that Youtube/videos make him sound horrible. So maybe he will be fine? Lol

The problem is, 150k people will see him live, 10 million people will see him on the TV...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Why? Axl’s voice is not atrocious. Musically the band is a beast. GNR are fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 7:40 PM, allwaystired said:

It's not that they reunited yesterday, this thing has already 6 years going for a 7th now. If you didn't see a live performance already you live inside a box...

11 minutes ago, itsprettytiedup said:

It's not that they reunited yesterday, this thing has already 6 years going for a 7th now. If you didn't see a live performance already you live inside a box...

Where would you have seen them if you're not actively seeking it out? 

This will be the first time TV audiences in the UK have seen them for many, many years. That's not an opinion- just a fact. 

58 minutes ago, Debt said:

Why? Axl’s voice is not atrocious. Musically the band is a beast. GNR are fine.

Haha! Sure. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Where would you have seen them if you're not actively seeking it out? 

This will be the first time TV audiences in the UK have seen them for many, many years. That's not an opinion- just a fact. 

Haha! Sure. 

Thats my take. I dont take it that seriously. Its cool GNR are playing Glastonbury. There is no negative about it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Debt said:

Thats my take. I dont take it that seriously. Its cool GNR are playing Glastonbury. There is no negative about it.

Yeah, don't take it too seriously as ultimately it's a band playing a festival and doesn't really matter......but in a discussion about said band playing said festival I think it's understandable that people are pointing out that the band aren't really going to come across too well when vast amounts of people sitting at home get to see and hear what they sound like now. Glastonbury is a huge deal in the UK- not just as a festival but as a TV show. It gets a huge audience on the biggest TV channel in the country and is a big talking point that has had a really big impact on bands- hence why they agree to play it for a fraction of the amount they get paid at other festivals. 

Denying that people are going to tear it shreds is just wrong, as the standard of headline acts is really judged and acts always do something special new, fresh, unique as they treat it as a big deal. If GNR don't, people won't be kind. I assure you of that! But ultimately, yeah, who cares. If the band turn up sloppy, unrehearsed and sounding like they have been doing, then it's on them. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, don't take it too seriously as ultimately it's a band playing a festival and doesn't really matter......but in a discussion about said band playing said festival I think it's understandable that people are pointing out that the band aren't really going to come across too well when vast amounts of people sitting at home get to see and hear what they sound like now. Glastonbury is a huge deal in the UK- not just as a festival but as a TV show. It gets a huge audience on the biggest TV channel in the country and is a big talking point that has had a really big impact on bands- hence why they agree to play it for a fraction of the amount they get paid at other festivals. 

Denying that people are going to tear it shreds is just wrong, as the standard of headline acts is really judged and acts always do something special new, fresh, unique as they treat it as a big deal. If GNR don't, people won't be kind. I assure you of that! But ultimately, yeah, who cares. If the band turn up sloppy, unrehearsed and sounding like they have been doing, then it's on them. 

Yep people seem to not realise how big of a deal it is here. Paul McCartney felt that even he at 80 years old had to take a much reduced fee and invite Bruce Springsteen AND Dave Grohl for his headline performance. Jay Z played Wonderwall. Most of the UK acting and music scene and celeb scene attend the festival in the audience and openly walk about the grounds. BBC have 24 hour tv and radio coverage of it. If GnR perform like they have been, ie Axl sounding like mickey mouses auntie and looking like Donald Trump, playing absurd and offering little audience interaction then they will be destroyed and ridiculed for years. 

Part of me wants GnR to play and Axl to sound like 2006-2010 era with the slash and duff enthusiasm of 2016/17. If they can bring that, with the pyro and extras they had, play 2 hours of the hits with lots of audience participation and chat, they can win them over. but we all know that this will not happen and its crushing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Yep people seem to not realise how big of a deal it is here. Paul McCartney felt that even he at 80 years old had to take a much reduced fee and invite Bruce Springsteen AND Dave Grohl for his headline performance. Jay Z played Wonderwall. Most of the UK acting and music scene and celeb scene attend the festival in the audience and openly walk about the grounds. BBC have 24 hour tv and radio coverage of it. If GnR perform like they have been, ie Axl sounding like mickey mouses auntie and looking like Donald Trump, playing absurd and offering little audience interaction then they will be destroyed and ridiculed for years. 

Part of me wants GnR to play and Axl to sound like 2006-2010 era with the slash and duff enthusiasm of 2016/17. If they can bring that, with the pyro and extras they had, play 2 hours of the hits with lots of audience participation and chat, they can win them over. but we all know that this will not happen and its crushing. 

maybe they'll add a new cover

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Couldn't agree more. I have friends messaging me/speaking to me with stuff mocking GNR playing it and at least two want to watch it with me, simply to laugh at it and my ongoing love for this band!

I would absolutely LOVE for the band to really bring everything they've got to this and the enthusiasm you mention to prove everyone wrong. 

To me it feels very much like a major moment for them, especially in the UK. And how many times do we think the lame presenters will say "the big question everyone is asking is 'will Axl be on time' "?! 

• Haha 1