2023 WORLD TOUR

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

, yeah, who cares. If the band turn up sloppy, unrehearsed and sounding like they have been doing, then it's on them. 

Except most people not nitpicking them to shreds wouldn't say that they sound sloppy and unrehearsed. They might take issue with Axl's voice, but that's about it.

59 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

You have weird friends

Ah, they're all piss takers! It's all in good humour. 

It's a very British thing. I'd pretty much guarantee every British person on here has the same from their friendship group! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Except most people not nitpicking them to shreds wouldn't say that they sound sloppy and unrehearsed. They might take issue with Axl's voice, but that's about it.

Some of those early shows in legs? Berlin for example? I thought it was just accepted now that they use the first few shows as a rehearsal? 

Personally, I don't think that's acceptable for a band of their quality and ability, as well as for paying fans. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Some of those early shows in legs? Berlin for example? I thought it was just accepted now that they use the first few shows as a rehearsal? 

Personally, I don't think that's acceptable for a band of their quality and ability, as well as for paying fans. 

First 5 shows should be half the price!

• Like 2

I don't like it but at this stage of the game I know going to a GN'R show has to involve compromises - but as others have pointed out, Glastonbury is such a big deal that I would fear the backlash the band will get, well, mostly Axl.

His vocals will be exposed in a way they haven't been before. Millions of people in the UK will see the show in high quality in their living room - no hiding places. 

Obviously it would be amazing for him to turn it on and prove us wrong but history tells us it'll be like any other show over the past few years and the outcome of that won't be good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Though the band did not sound unrehearsed, as they actually do rehearse. It was Axl that may have had some problems due to not rehearsing. Though I'm not sure what that would have to do with a potential Glastonbury show (which seems ridiculous to even think about, considering they play Hyde Park the week after Glastonbury), also who's to say that would be a first show?!

11 hours ago, AtlasShrugged said:

but as others have pointed out, Glastonbury is such a big deal

Big deal?? Outside the UK no one really gives a shit about Glastonbury. Some crappy hippster festival, which is sold out before acts are even announced. It's just another festival.

Edited by PatrickS77

Regardless of how the band maybe perceived by the audience in attendance and/or the people watching at home Glastonbury is the most popular and well known festival in the world.

GnR is one / was one of the biggest bands in the world and still draw huge audiences they should... no... must play Glastonbury and the sooner the better imo.

Edited by RnRHOFGNR
  • Haha 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

People are actually suggesting Glastonbury isn't a big deal?! 

You know there's a reason pretty much every major band in the world has played it for a fraction of the price they agree to play any other festivals, right? They've not turning up because it's an event "no one gives a shit about"! Even greedy Guns have agreed to play it for a fraction of their usual pay, so someone in their organisation clearly knows it's a big deal. 

People saying they have never read or heard anything about it it as ludicrous as saying you've never heard of Coachella or Rock In Rio. 

We're in the realms of total fantasy if we're saying it isn't a major thing. Last year Brice Springsteen and Dave Grohl flew to the UK exclusively to do a guest spot for one song at it! That should tell you all you need to know! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Yea I've never read or heard anything about what goes on at Glastonbury. I don't think people outside the UK give a shit about that festival

1 hour ago, History2010 said:

I feel like Glastonbury is almost completely unknown here in the USA. 

Well, Rolling Stone magazine review it every year, so......I would imagine many music fans in the USA are very aware of it! 

Edited by allwaystired

6 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Though the band did not sound unrehearsed, as they actually do rehearse. It was Axl that may have had some problems due to not rehearsing. Though I'm not sure what that would have to do with a potential Glastonbury show (which seems ridiculous to even think about, considering they play Hyde Park the week after Glastonbury), also who's to say that would be a first show?!

Big deal?? Outside the UK no one really gives a shit about Glastonbury. Some crappy hippster festival, which is sold out before acts are even announced. It's just another festival.

It's not 'ridiculous to even think about it'- they're pretty much confirmed to be headlining it. It's leaked and even Duff has apparently confirmed it on his radio show. It's quite common for bands to do Hyde Park after headlining Glastonbury as they get paid so (relatively) little to headline Glastonbury. 

Also, I would imagine it's the reason Hyde Park is the only officially announced date at the moment- the organisers wanted it on sale way before the Glastonbury announcement to maximise sales. 

1 hour ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

To be fair, I haven't heard of this festival as well. I guess like most, depends who you ask, or how young and how hipster they are.

But more importantly, is this week the week?!

It's become much more of a middle class/middle aged thing in recent years as money gets tighter and the prices rise! 

Honestly though, it blows my mind that music fans haven't heard of Glastonbury when it's so widely reported on everywhere and bands hold it in such high regard. 

• Confused 3

So many countries have big festivals that may be unknown in other parts of the world. In my country the biggest festival is Pinkpop, which is considered prestige because it’s the longest running festival in the world with lots of tradition and history and artists like to play there because of those reasons. Doesn’t mean I expect people outside of especially Europe, to know about it. Belgium has Werchter. Germany has Rock Im Park and Rock Am Ring. Denmark has Roskilde. Etc..

• Like 3

Going to throw a spanner in the works here - Guns might be all but confirmed for the Saturday, but my hunch is that they're not going to be a headline act - at least not on the Pyramid Stage.

Working on the basis that Arctic Monkeys will be confirmed as a headliner, and that Elton John already has been for the Sunday, I really can't see Guns being the third - they wouldn't pick two heritage acts to top the bill.

On top of this, Glastonbury has been going out of its way to have a bigger representation of women on its line up for the past few years - I can't see them not having one female headliner on the Pyramid - and that's before you take into account the strong rumours of Taylor Swift being named in the coming weeks.

My hunch is that Guns will headline the Other Stage.

Finally, for anyone who hasn't heard of Glastonbury or regards it as just another gig, I have to ask the question, are you actually even into music?

If Guns do actually get a Pyramid Stage headline spot then its probably the most high profile gig of their career.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, SilverMachine said:

Going to throw a spanner in the works here - Guns might be all but confirmed for the Saturday, but my hunch is that they're not going to be a headline act - at least not on the Pyramid Stage.

Working on the basis that Arctic Monkeys will be confirmed as a headliner, and that Elton John already has been for the Sunday, I really can't see Guns being the third - they wouldn't pick two heritage acts to top the bill.

On top of this, Glastonbury has been going out of its way to have a bigger representation of women on its line up for the past few years - I can't see them not having one female headliner on the Pyramid - and that's before you take into account the strong rumours of Taylor Swift being named in the coming weeks.

My hunch is that Guns will headline the Other Stage.

Finally, for anyone who hasn't heard of Glastonbury or regards it as just another gig, I have to ask the question, are you actually even into music?

If Guns do actually get a Pyramid Stage headline spot then its probably the most high profile gig of their career.

Taylor Swift has gigs in the US that weekend so she's ruled out of playing. 

I get the impression people are just trying to make a point with the 'never heard of Glastonbury' thing to be honest as people are saying it's a bad fit for GNR. It's really not just 'another gig' to any headline act- which is why every headline act always comes up with something special for it. Kendrick came up with a whole new concept and stage show for his slot! 

It's reported on across the world, Rolling Stone magazine runs regular news stories about it, and it's up there with Rock In Rio and Coachella as a major deal, hence why every major band is very keen to do it for a fee they wouldn't normally get out of bed for! 

I doubt there's a major festival in the world many of us have 'never heard of' who follow music news. 

If people genuinely have never heard of Glastonbury, well, that's amazing to me as a music fan....but I think people just fancy an argument to be honest. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 1

Glastonbury is the biggest festival ever. Even bigger than Woodstock was back then. Bands even pay money to play there it's so huge.  It will be the downfall of gnr because every person in the world will see it and tear them apart after their horrible performance

That more like it?

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, EvanG said:

There are so many huge festivals in the world, especially in Europe. Should it be so surprising that someone at the other side of the world hasn’t heard about all of them? Maybe Glastonbury is a big deal in the UK, but the world is bigger than the UK.

Just for clarity, I'm not in the UK.

History:

Glastonbury, alongside Roskilde is essentially the event that ushered in the era of the three-day festival.

Coachella, Bonaroo, Electric Daisy Carnival, Burning Man, Governors Ball etc are all direct descendants - Lollapalooza was set up by Perry Farrell after attending Glastonbury in the early nineties as there wasn't anything comparable in the States at that time.

Scale: Only the Rio carnival matches it for convergence of people and crew. There's 210,000 paid customers at Glastonbury and in excess of 20,000 staff and performers.

Industry scope:
The entire worldwide festival calendar to some extent is based on it annual lineup - headline acts tend to base their production around their Glastonbury show and then scale it down. The festival also hires out its logistics and rigging to other festivals around Europe and even the US now.

Prestige: Glastonbury famously doesn't pay anything near industry rates for acts - headline bands pretty much play it for kudos /raised profile etc. Most headline acts will make a loss after production costs are taken into account. 

Its one of the reasons why its something of a surprise to see Guns and Roses play this gig and I have to say its kind of encouraging - the main criticism of the band right now is that the reunion has been one extended cash grab - playing Glastonbury is obviously an Axl decision - its a means of ensuring Guns are placed in the pantheon of the "big bands".

Look at who has headlined since the nineties: Bowie, McCartney, Springsteen, Rolling Stones, The Who, Neil Young, Metallica- basically the elite of the heritage acts that are still standing. U2 even did it and they don't do festivals (they basically took their entire touring production - it took four years to plan).

I know it doesn't get broadcast in the States, but its influence and recognition makes it the biggest musical event in the western world calendar only behind (I'm not shitting you), Eurovision.

Edited by SilverMachine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SilverMachine said:

Just for clarity, I'm not in the UK.

History:

Glastonbury, alongside Roskilde is essentially the event that ushered in the era of the three-day festival.

Coachella, Bonaroo, Electric Daisy Carnival, Burning Man, Governors Ball etc are all direct descendants - Lollapalooza was set up by Perry Farrell after attending Glastonbury in the early nineties as there wasn't anything comparable in the States at that time.

Scale: Only the Rio carnival matches it for convergence of people and crew. There's 210,000 paid customers at Glastonbury and in excess of 20,000 staff and performers.

Industry scope:
The entire worldwide festival calendar to some extent is based on it annual lineup - headline acts tend to base their production around their Glastonbury show and then scale it down. The festival also hires out its logistics and rigging to other festivals around Europe and even the US now.

Prestige: Glastonbury famously doesn't pay anything near industry rates for acts - headline bands pretty much play it for kudos /raised profile etc. Most headline acts will make a loss after production costs are taken into account. 

Its one of the reasons why its something of a surprise to see Guns and Roses play this gig and I have to say its kind of encouraging - the main criticism of the band right now is that the reunion has been one extended cash grab - playing Glastonbury is obviously an Axl one - its a means of ensuring the band are place in the pantheon of the "big bands".

Look at who has headlined since the nineties: Bowie, McCartney, Springsteen, Rolling Stones, The Who, Neil Young, Metallica- basically the elite of the heritage acts that are still standing. U2 even did it and they don't do festivals (they basically took their entire touring production - it took four years to plan).

I know it doesn't get broadcast in the States, but its influence and recognition makes it the biggest musical event in the western world calendar only behind (I'm not shitting you), Eurovision.

No one is saying that it’s not a big festival. The argument is that it shouldn’t come as such a surprise if not everyone in the world, music fan or not, has heard about it. Just in this thread several people already said this. I gave the example of the festival in my own country. It’s the oldest and longest running festival today. It has had historic moments in the world of pop/rock. Too many to mention. Yet I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if someone in South America, USA or Asia has never heard about it. And it’s not a big deal either.

• Like 1