Mick Mars of Motley Crue

dontdamnmeuyi2015

Mick Mars has retired from touring with Motley Crue. Mick has that terrible bone disease and just can't do a huge tour anymore.

The Crue announced that John 5 from the Rob Zombie band will tour with them.

Not sure how he'll fit in.

I thought since Nikki Sixx was in the band SIXX AM with DJ Ashba he would have been a better fit.

Anyway, I guess time will tell. 

I think John 5 will have to dye his blonde hair black to fit in better with the rest of the Crue

Mick will be very much missed. He still rocked that guitar every concert.

Didn’t John 5 also play with Marilyn Manson? Mick Must be getting towards 70 now. He’s done well to stay in such an active job for so long. And fair play to him, if the movie is to be believed, he took the gig because he had a family to support. Could have walked as soon as he made his money. He’s regarded as one of the best guitarists of all time - overall a good job well done. I wish Mick a happy retirement. 

Edit: he’s 71. Definitely time to put the snooker on.

Edited by Gracii Guns

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Why didn’t ashba get the gig :lol:

That is what I said. I mean Nikki and DJ are in Sixx AM together and I think DJ would be awesome with the Crue.

9 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Didn’t John 5 also play with Marilyn Manson? Mick Must be getting towards 70 now. He’s done well to stay in such an active job for so long. And fair play to him, if the movie is to be believed, he took the gig because he had a family to support. Could have walked as soon as he made his money. He’s regarded as one of the best guitarists of all time - overall a good job well done. I wish Mick a happy retirement. 

Edit: he’s 71. Definitely time to put the snooker on.

Yeah, John 5 played with Manson and Zombie.

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

They could have used the same backing tracks that Mick recorded and created the illusion that Ashba can actually play.

DJ can actually play.  Have you not seen him live? I have and he's awesome. And BTW Axl asked DJ to stay in GNR, but with Slash coming back, he declined.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

That is what I said. I mean Nikki and DJ are in Sixx AM together and I think DJ would be awesome with the Crue.

Yeah, John 5 played with Manson and Zombie.

DJ can actually play.  Have you not seen him live? I have and he's awesome. And BTW Axl asked DJ to stay in GNR, but with Slash coming back, he declined.

I have, and he's terrible. Terrible tone, terrible feel, and had to simplify the parts just to get through it. Dresses and plays like a 14 year old. Good understanding of the music industry but amateur player at best. Wouldnt matter for Motley mind you since like 75% of the show is backing tracks.

Decent enough riff writer though. I like Sixx AM.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

I have, and he's terrible. Terrible tone, terrible feel, and had to simplify the parts just to get through it. Dresses and plays like a 14 year old. Good understanding of the music industry but amateur player at best. Wouldnt matter for Motley mind you since like 75% of the show is backing tracks.

Decent enough riff writer though. I like Sixx AM.

And yet, Axl thought he's great and wanted him in the band. Who's right now? Maybe what you see as terrible is subjective.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

You can have any opinion you want, but maybe it's just that. You stated it as fact, that he's terrible.

Did I? It shouldn't be necessary to preface every statement one makes on a discussion board with "in my opinion..." because everything we all say is just that - an opinion.

If I say "Absurd is shit" - am I stating fact? Of course not. It's subjective. But you already knew that.

20 hours ago, James Bond said:

Did I? It shouldn't be necessary to preface every statement one makes on a discussion board with "in my opinion..." because everything we all say is just that - an opinion.

If I say "Absurd is shit" - am I stating fact? Of course not. It's subjective. But you already knew that.

Either someone can play guitar or he can't or he is terrible at it or not. That is not subject to opinion.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Either someone can play guitar or he can't or he is terrible at it or not. That is not subject to opinion.

I mean, that’s not really true. There are tons of different skill levels. I’ve been playing for almost 20 years and I’m not that great. I still wouldn’t think Ashba is really anything special

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I mean, that’s not really true. There are tons of different skill levels. I’ve been playing for almost 20 years and I’m not that great. I still wouldn’t think Ashba is really anything special

I didn't say he's special. But to say he's terrible, amateur and thus really can't play is ridiculous. He's been hired to play alongside Bumblefoot, Fortus and in a spot that once was held by Buckethead. So really, there has to be something for him to get hired.

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Saying you don't like his playing is different than to say his playIng is terrible.

Not really. Terrible is just an adjective like any other. Hyperbole, perhaps, but it's no different than walking out of a movie theatre and going "oh wow, that was awful" if that's what you thought of a movie.

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean I can't think that of his playing. He had to simplify the parts on most songs to get by. That makes him an amateur in my view, versus someone like Finck who clearly just did his own thing. Ashba played them like a beginner and handed the tough parts off to the others. Therefore, he is not on the level of Fortus and Bumblefoot and I found him to be the weak link each time I saw them live. I do, however, think he's actually a pretty solid riff and hook writer. I imagine that's what Axl saw in him.

You're welcome to not share the same opinion but why you hyperfocused on my post in the first place which had an air of facetiousness about it I just don't understand. Ashba certainly isn't worth getting your knickers in a knot about. Who cares what I think?

It doesn't make my opinion wrong, nor yours.

• Like 1

Yeah Mick was undoubtedly the MVP of the Crue, especially live. John 5 is certainly no slouch though. Incredible player. Probably even somewhat overqualified for the gig.

Now they're welcome to replace Vince if they want. :lol:

His live vocals are terri... I mean... I find his live vocals to be of a subpar nature and lacking in the exquisite enunciation of his peers.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Not really. Terrible is just an adjective like any other. Hyperbole, perhaps, but it's no different than walking out of a movie theatre and going "oh wow, that was awful" if that's what you thought of a movie.

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean I can't think that of his playing. He had to simplify the parts on most songs to get by. That makes him an amateur in my view, versus someone like Finck who clearly just did his own thing. Ashba played them like a beginner and handed the tough parts off to the others. Therefore, he is not on the level of Fortus and Bumblefoot and I found him to be the weak link each time I saw them live. I do, however, think he's actually a pretty solid riff and hook writer. I imagine that's what Axl saw in him.

You're welcome to not share the same opinion but why you hyperfocused on my post in the first place which had an air of facetiousness about it I just don't understand. Ashba certainly isn't worth getting your knickers in a knot about. Who cares what I think?

It doesn't make my opinion wrong, nor yours.

Because it's a ridiculous statement. And again, why do you want to know that he "had to simplify" parts or "had to hand off" stuff?? Once again, you're stating something as fact, because you don't like his playing.

43 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Because it's a ridiculous statement. And again, why do you want to know that he "had to simplify" parts or "had to hand off" stuff?? Once again, you're stating something as fact, because you don't like his playing.

Because if you have half a brain and a set of ears it's not difficult to hear when he'd simplify runs in the solos among other bits. Then he'd trade off to Ron on the especially speedier bits in songs too. How about him not doubling the riff in Shackler's and only playing single, syncopated notes instead? Those *are* facts, and there are plenty of bedroom players who can play them so it's not unreasonable to expect the guy hired for the job to able to do so. Thus, he presents as an amateur player at best. All in my opinion of course.

Funny how it goes from I can have an opinion but just don't state it as fact, to "terrible" isn't an opinion, to it's "ridiculous" - all because you don't agree with it.

I think DJ is extremely average. That's not going to change. Get over it.

• Like 1

Guys, why are we even debating whether or not Ashba would have been a good fit for Motley Crue? Of course he would be. Motley Crue sucks and so does Ashba.

Didn’t this band retire then sign a contract that they would never play live again unless it was the core four? Is the loophole that they’re announcing Mick is still part of the band but not part of the touring band? LOL