FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

We love Axl Rose

2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I've never known a world cup to be less talked about, no excitement. A world cup in winter just seems wrong, and to have it in a country like Qatar is fucked up imo

I don't have any problems with the season, and maybe not even with Qatar hosting it as such, but I do have problems with FIFA awarding the tournament to Qatar in such a corrupt process.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Isn't Qatar a backwards mess where they use slave labour?

They score 25 on this list of "freedom scores", which is not good at all. Still higher than Russia, which hosted the world cup the last time. The problem is that the world cup should be passed around so people in every region in the world can be part of hosting it, it's the democratization of football, yet awarding it to Qatar was a terribly corrupt decision (although maybe not less corrupt than in previous years). And if we want the Middle East to host the world cup then there aren't that many better countries around that have the capacity to do it.

I don't agree with Qatar hosting the World Cup, and it really has the potential to turn into a full-blown shit show I think. Especially as people have arrived in Doha and seen what a mess it is - quietly rolling back beer sales, journalists being harassed for taking pictures and videos in public places pertaining to the tournament itself, accommodations not being what were promised, etc. But I'm not going to be one of those "holier than thou" types acting all high and mighty not watching the World Cup. The harsh reality is even a couple million people boycotting the World Cup and refusing to watch will not change a damn thing for FIFA. The World Cup is one of the things I most look forward to, and I'm hoping for an excellent tournament from a sporting perspective given all the circumstances. 

Very exciting opening match today, very high energy right from the kickoff. Valencia is such a beast for Ecuador, shame to see his first goal disallowed. 

Football bores the piss out of me and this whole debacle is an absolute shitshow. I'll probably do what I usually do which is ignore it until England get to the quarter finals and then become obsessed until we go out on penalties to the Germans in the next game.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Very exciting opening match today, very high energy right from the kickoff. Valencia is such a beast for Ecuador, shame to see his first goal disallowed. 

I think the match was very boring. Only 5 shots by both teams, Qatar had 0 shots on target.  I think it was clear that the players of Qatar have a lot of pressure, they really played a bad game. Ecuador played well and deservedly beat the Asian champions.

315962821-6641592679189856-3237393348782

Edited by We love Axl Rose

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

A pragmatic question is: Has giving the world cup to Qatar improved or worsened human rights in that country? 

And then we have to work to make FIFA less corrupt.

What human rights? In Qatar they don't know what that is. But they have the huge amount money that is needed to organize the event :shrugs:

FIFA, is corrupt. And they should address the issue and change. But that's not enough. It should be a sustainable. And the World Cup belongs where football is popular. In 2010 the World Cup took place in SouthAfrica. They are a Rugby nation!!! Stop organizing football events in places where people don't care about, just like Qatar

5 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

I think the match was very boring. Only 5 shots by both teams, Qatar had 0 shots on target.  I think it was clear that the players of Qatar have a lot of pressure, they really played a bad game. Ecuador played well and deservedly beat the Asian champions.

315962821-6641592679189856-3237393348782

There’s more to a game than number of shots on goal/target. The first half in particular was quite fast-paced and entertaining, even though Qatar never really looked threatening. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Threatening sanctions is rather extreme. And they're obviously only doing it to pander to Qatar.

That being said, what on Earth does guys fucking and sucking each other have to do with anything? A bit out of the blue and unrelated, no?

Just remembered we're talking about soccer, nevermind. :lol:

I don't mind FIFA trying to affect change in hosting nations, like human rights and such, but here they are just, as you say, bending over backwards to accommodate Qatar. A disgrace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Do you seriously think constantly bombarding bigots with gay pride stuff - especially in the context of leisure activities such as sports games or movies etc where they're trying to unwind and not think about politics - achieves anything, at all? I'd wager it has the opposite effect.

It is not about bombarding, in this specific case it is about just using pride colors on arm bands. The players will still wear clothes and not suck each other off after each goal. And it is not about changing the minds of bigots but doing whatever we can to normalize views on sexuality in a country where homosexuality is still illegal. It sends a valuable message of support to all the gays in Qatar but also an important message to all the moderates whose minds can be swayed and realize that there is nothing wrong in homosexuality, that it is considered perfectly normal in many other places, and that hey, maybe they ought to work for domestic change themselves.

• Like 2