FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

We love Axl Rose

30 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

It's soccer, why can't it just be soccer?

Because it's not just soccer when players are required to play in a host nation that denies the rights of others for just being who they are.

FIFA made it political by picking Qatar as the host nation.  To say that any expression by the player or teams is an act of tokenism or virtue signally is appalling and devoid of any knowledge or understand in how sports has so often been the venue to express and stand up for one's values and priorities.

At what point do you think LGBT - which is a minority percentage of the human population btw so in that sense not 'normal'

Are you fucking kidding me with this nonsense?  So anything that's not the majority is not normal?  I guess blue eyed people shouldn't consider themselves normal?  How about white people, since we make up only 7-10 percent of the world's population?  You need to take some time to examine your understanding and concern for what is normal.  Christ almighty. 

Whether it's randomly forcing people to actually participate in LGBT stuff or just merely randomly forcing people to witness LGBT stuff(imagery like the flags); it's bombarding

It's only bombardment when there are still people out there who view fail to see or understand the issues with heteronormativity.  You're a fine example of why athletes are choosing to continue to promote their values that defend and celebrate all people and lifestyles (especially in a place where people are still punished and killed for being who they are), not just the ones you consider not to be normal.

If I didn't find it so preachy and obnoxiously counterintuitive, if the approach actually worked; I wouldn't find it so irritating and I would think "Well, I don't enjoy it but it's doing some good and that's probably more important."

They want to wear an arm band.  You write almost daily long-form nonsense in on a Guns N' Roses online forum.  You might want to check to see who is being preachy.

People are tired of this shit.

I don't disagree with you there; but what people are growing tired of are attitudes like the one you continue to publish here.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

It's soccer, why can't it just be soccer?

It can, but FIFA claims to want to spread values. 

14 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

At what point do you think LGBT - which is a minority percentage of the human population btw so in that sense not 'normal' - has received enough exposure or too much exposure? Does the imagery and message just need to be constantly projected as much as possible until some vague 'normalized' state is reached? Do you think the exposure levels need to be equal to heterosexual stuff then, basically ensuring there's always gay stuff all the time in all situations and it's never really okay for them to not be in focus?

We are talking about Qatar here :lol: When they object to even the Pride colors on an arm band it is CLEAR they have not been sufficiently exposed to homosexuality. Which shouldn't come as a surprise considering homosexuality is forbidden there

16 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

or just merely randomly forcing people to witness LGBT stuff(imagery like the flags); it's bombarding.

:lol: 

16 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Mark my words, it's achieving fuckall and probably having the opposite to the desired effect. It only normalizes lazy sanctimony and a feeling of "Ugh enough, shutup about it."

As I stated before, it sends a valuable message of support to all the gays in Qatar but also an important message to all the moderates whose minds can be swayed and realize that there is nothing wrong in homosexuality, that it is considered perfectly normal in many other places, and that hey, maybe they ought to work for domestic change themselves.

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

People are tired of this shit.

People in Qatar are tired of Pride colors or are you again confusing this discussion to be about your own personal hang-ups?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Padme said:

Well, credit when credit is due. Iranian players didn't sing their National Anthem. As protest about what is going on in Iran. I just hope they don't end up in jail when they come back

Yeah, whereas Kane might suffer a yellow card, Iranian players might suffer imprisonment and torture. Kudos to the Iranian players for having balls.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Fuckings FIFA is now threatening sanctions on players who express support for Pride during the world cup.

I wish the teams would just ignore them and do it anyway. I cant think of a sport with more corruption in it than football.

55 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Firstly, don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say "any expression by players or teams is tokenism or virtue signalling". You should concede that I literally never said that. I won't hold my breath though.

No, you said you have issue with any small measure you consider tokenism:

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I do mind corporations disingenuously making corporate token gestures that affect nothing other than their own inflated sense of sanctimony.

Do you seriously think constantly bombarding bigots with gay pride stuff - especially in the context of leisure activities such as sports games or movies etc where they're trying to unwind and not think about politics - achieves anything, at all? I'd wager it has the opposite effect.

So, if I were the players who supposedly care so much about this, I would refuse to attend this Qatar World Cup and I would do this very strategically

Good for you.  Others decided to appear and express support for by signalling to the discriminated and persecuted that they are not alone.  But according to your standards, that's pointless and not worth the effort, as you are some grand arbiter in what is effective or worthwhile. 

By your logic, Jesse Owens should have stayed at home at the 1936 Olympics rather than compete in Nazi Germany. 

I'm basically just saying "Stand up for values in a meaningful way and don't be full of shit."

So it's all or nothing with you.  Great.  Others don't live in such a binary fashion.  You don't think it would matter to gay kids living in Qatar and the region to see some measure of public support by their athletic heroes?  What about a kid who lives in home with homophobic parents where hateful language about guys and marginalized people are normalized?  You're telling me some small public expression wouldn't matter or have an impact? 

No, for you it's either all or nothing.  Anything in the middle is an empty gesture worthy of scorn and derision.  Nice.

Statistically not 'normal' just meaning not the majority. They are a normally occurring minority percentage in nature. Thanks for actively trying to think the worst of me.

No one in their right mind thinks like that.  To equate normality with majority is absolutely nonsense.  If tomorrow 60 percent of babies born were born blind, nobody would consider this normal.  

As for the point about white people lol; I bitch about tokenism simply because it's obnoxious and more importantly it's counterintuitive - you project onto that and extrapolate it with wild assumptions, that's on you. The reality is I don't bitch about "ehhhhhhhh not enough whiteyyyys! We need more hetero whitesssss!"

No, but you bitch and complain almost any time a non-white, non-straight person appears in a situation you find inappropriate.  How else is anyone suppose to consider your discomfort and being offended with such public displays of consternation when certain people don't stay in their lanes?

Anyway, this discussion is another complete waste of time.  Enough.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, whereas Kane might suffer a yellow card, Iranian players might suffer imprisonment and torture. Kudos to the Iranian players for having balls.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/21/iran-world-cup-national-anthem-silent-protest-qatar

They are saying they just don't know what could happen to them when they return. It's not the players, but the fans who are in Qatar. They showed support for the demostrations

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

There’s more to a game than number of shots on goal/target. The first half in particular was quite fast-paced and entertaining, even though Qatar never really looked threatening. 

Of course, but I still think the game was pretty boring for the most part (mainly because of Qatar), just my opinon. :) 

Today's games were very good, a good start for England, the Netherlands also won, although I think Senegal played better. And as for the USA-Wales game, I don't think Wales would have scored without the penalty and if they had played an extra half. :D

316285253-6645502988798825-1480472355084316411531-6646070528742071-9785882042818316196898-6646623885353402-4780325918210

59 minutes ago, darkside259 said:

THEY STEAL US THE GAME THOSE DIRTY BASTARDS

THOSE FUCKERS THEY R CHEATERS

Mate you lost fair and square. Argentina looked rubbish today while SA played their hearts out. They had Argentina sussed  from the moment they kicked off, and really figured out how to push your buttons. The offside traps in the first half were great (Though I’ll concede the one where the shoulder down was offside was extremely tight and the call probably could’ve gone either way) and even though Argentina was controlling the flow it never really felt like they were in the driver’s seat. After the break SA stepped up their intensity, took a foot hold in the game, and you guys couldn’t match it. Their defense was rock solid and their keeper had the game of his life. I get feeling burned with a result like that, but they were the better side today plain and simple. 

4 minutes ago, Padme said:

Yeah, it looks those were silly off side calls. The VAR and the referee looked at the position of the players arm?

That was the only one I questioned. The top of the shoulder can be used to score, and the line is very, very close to the shoulder joint. Seeing a CG image it’s harder to visualize too. 

• Like 1

Also let’s be honest - if the fix was in for SA then the ref wouldn’t let Argentina keep attacking for literally 30 seconds after a SA player was knocked unconscious inside the box with a very clear and very serious head injury. That’s a shockingly poor decision to let play continue in that circumstance. 

• Like 1