Whatever happened to the (rumored) music video for Better?

13 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

When Axl was on Eddie Trunk he said something about not wanting to do a video because he wanted the fans to listen to CD and imagine for themselves.

It seemed Axl, by that 2011 interview, was still intending on dropping music videos for Chinese as he makes a note of one of their points by saying he wanted the fans to have a certain amount of time to digest the songs before hitting them with what he had in mind, something to that effect.

Same thing that happened to the new songs that were supped to be releasing earlier this year.

In all seriousness, the rumor was Lars was in the video and didn’t sign a release. But that was so bogus. Not only did Lars, I think, deny that to be true. But they could have easily just removed the clip of Lars from the video if they wanted it out there. GNR just don’t do normal band things. Axl didn’t promote Chinese at all.

The leaked video is interesting, but really not that great. The Buckethead footage was clearly out of place, and the mix of betacam and film (from the Hammerstein gigs, I assume) was jarring to say the least. The live concept was good, tho. And I liked the little red demons hidden throughout the video.

Honestly, the video sucked. At least, the version we've seen was poorly done, and if that's what Axl wanted to release 'in a week or so' (December 2008) they made the right decision by shelving it. There's some cool shots but the 'band member intros' at the beginning were really lame, and overall it was poorly edited, it looked very amateur.

• Like 2

Sorry, I think that link is not allowed so I removed it.  It's the Harley Davidson Black Sheep video on youtube

This is now done to Paradise City but as I remember it was originally done to a CD song, was it Better?  There was more footage.  This was pulled, maybe not even released on TV, because the black sheep had a racist reference.  Who knew?  Long time ago, don't remember all the details.

Edited by cineater

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

The leaked video is interesting, but really not that great. The Buckethead footage was clearly out of place, and the mix of betacam and film (from the Hammerstein gigs, I assume) was jarring to say the least. The live concept was good, tho. And I liked the little red demons hidden throughout the video.

Never seen that before, is there any way you guys know of to watch this video somewhere? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

just google "guns n roses better music video"

you can tell fernando just started workin with microsoft video editor, such poor quality

Just found it on some Peruvian GNR fangroup on facebook and yeah, I agree, it's pretty bad. Compare this video to all the classic videos (except maybe Garden of Eden) and it would stick out in a really negative way.

3 hours ago, Spoon87 said:

Just found it on some Peruvian GNR fangroup on facebook and yeah, I agree, it's pretty bad. Compare this video to all the classic videos (except maybe Garden of Eden) and it would stick out in a really negative way.

Indeed. Even if comparing to the "live" ones, like Dead Horse and LALD. Hell, even the Live Era WTTJ.

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Coulda been just some early version. Remember State of Grace. Or Nothing. There may have been more versions as well. I liked it, too bad it didn't pan out. 

Did we ever get to know how this leaked in the first place? As far as I remember, there was another Better video in the works based in Robin's original concept.

4 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Indeed. Even if comparing to the "live" ones, like Dead Horse and LALD. Hell, even the Live Era WTTJ.

Did we ever get to know how this leaked in the first place? As far as I remember, there was another Better video in the works based in Robin's original concept.

always thought the Live Era WTTJ music video was quite powerful. Anyway, wasn't there an idea kicking around for doing an animated music video for Better? could have worked. I think the title track had potential for a good music video as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Vaguely remember this, not sure if I had read the whole conversation. Very rude to not only annoy Ron like that, but also print and make it public. 

And Ron was 100% right.

Yeah, I reckoned it was a private conversation, but it was made public - and has been public since - anyway.

• Like 1