Would The Band Sound Bad/Different Without Melissa?

2 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Just wondering if it would make much difference especially live. Maybe my ears are not rock enough cuz when I listen to old concerts vs current line up, I really dont hear how big of a difference Melissa make.

Who’s gonna trigger Axl’s vocal samples? 

4 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Who’s gonna trigger Axl’s vocal samples? 

There are no vocal samples.  It's all real.  This is a rock band, not pop shit.

1 hour ago, GoForJMark said:

They'll sound raw without her. Not necessarily a bad thing, heck they'd probably sound like '91, music wise(2 guitars/1 bass/1 drummer/1 key/occasionally bonggos/1 vocal). I think she's there to thicken up the sound and her samples bring the album feels to some songs.

You would not notice anything musically.  

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, nathanhall said:

Mostly in the CD stuff. There are vocal samples in Sorry ("Not sorry for you"), sampled strings in Madagascar, and she adds who knows what in Absurd. I think she also compliments with whatever Dizzy is playing on some songs as I see her on her keyboard at times.

• Like 1

Search YouTube for the Apollo show. Melissa was uncharacteristically high in the mix so it’s easy to tell what she does. If memory serves, it was especially prevalent on “Better.”

There’s also this: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/guns-n-roses-melissa-reese-interview-1003943/

The gig meant she had to learn roughly 50 songs in granular detail so she could help replicate them on the stage. That includes keyboard parts along with countless tiny samples she had to create herself, like the flute flurries on “November Rain,” along with guitar parts she plays on the keyboard and various sub-bass frequencies. “I had to do an insane amount of shit, plus be able to sing backgrounds for Axl,” she says. “It’s stuff that would be hard to pick out, because I’m using sounds that are meant to enhance what’s already going on with Richard [Fortus] or another guitar part. It’s supposed to just sound bigger when I’m doing it, but it’s not supposed to stand out.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mystery said:

People don't think she contributes enough even though the band had 2 keyboardists onstage from 2001-2014 with Chris Pitman and Dizzy Reed.

They had 2 keyboard players for most of the UYI tour, too.

16 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Just wondering if it would make much difference especially live. Maybe my ears are not rock enough cuz when I listen to old concerts vs current line up, I really dont hear how big of a difference Melissa make.

She's doing the same things that Teddy Zigzag and Chris Pitman did. You can't really hear Teddy for most of the Freddie Mercury tribute show for example, but he's up there playing the 2nd keyboard...

13 hours ago, nathanhall said:

Except on Chinese, Madagascar, Sorry, Locomotive, Absurd...

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2

Without Melissa they would sound really bad because they sounded like shit in the 80s and 90s

Jez...:facepalm:

Edited by Free Bird
  • Haha 1