The best one to interview Axl, for me, would be someone that would both make Axl lower his guard and go into fun storytelling mode, but would also ask great questions that would help probe the actual unknowns and not just superficial, fluff questions. I can't really think of anyone.

Edited by SoulMonster

6 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I just would rather not see Axl on his podcast and based on Axl's views I don't think we really gotta worry about it anyways, not to mention the dude doesn't do 5 minute interviews much let alone a 1-3 hour one :lol:

Plus I don't know if Axl has even done DMT anyways which would eliminate a lot of what Joe would bring up

how long was the China Exchange interview or Eddie Trunk '06 interview? those seemed comparable in length to a JRE interview. I think when in an interview mood and when he has a lot to say, Axl might go for a long interview like before the release of Chinese, or right after the reunion with Slash and Duff but he does seem to be less communicative in recent years. Slash does most out of the big 3.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I think too many people these days form an opinion at the slightest chance. All they need is a headline. It's silly.

I'm generally left wing. But just me saying "You know what, I like Joe, he's alright. He's not so bad." automatically casts me as alt-right or whatever in some peoples minds. :lol:

I wouldn't assume specifically that of you, I just think GNR can do much better than Joe Rogan of all people for a multitude of reasons lol

Edited by WhazUp

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I wouldn't mind a Howard Stern interview. Then again he's a lame duck these days.

You know what? More than all of these I'd like Appetite For Distortion to interview Axl.

I am totally down with that idea, it would be cool to see Axl pop up on a fan podcast

#AxlN'Brando

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The best one to interview Axl, for me, would be someone that would both make Axl lower his guard and go into fun storytelling mode, but would also ask great questions that would help probe the actual unknowns and not just superficial, fluff questions. I can't really think of anyone.

I think Kimmel did a great job of doing exactly that, was a fun watch, especially with the “Halloween tree” and “double corn” talk 🤣

Man, people hate Joe Rogan for absolutely no reason, it's quite comical actually.

The same people to easily shun him for a headline (WRITTEN BY SOMEONE ELSE) that may or may not be true are also the same people that wouldn't be able to listen to a 3 hour long podcast by him and form their own opinion on the man. 

I've listened to Joe since 2016 and have gone back and listened to some of his shows before that. He's no stranger to musical guests: it started with a small local band Honey Honey, but eventually led to him interviewing the likes of Everlast, Paul Stanley, Maynard James Keenan, Henry Rollins, Steven Tyler, etc etc the list goes on.

The whole idea of the show is like a bunch of college students smoked pot and had a stream of consciousness that they recorded. For those of you that have never had that experience, the common denominator of it is: WHAT IF. and thats where a lot of these "JOE ROGAN SPREADS DISINFORMATION..." headlines come from. "WHAT IF x, y, or z happened?"

I think if you gave 3 hours with Joe and Axl, Slash, or Duff in a room, you'd come out with more info then when you started. 

• Like 2

Jon Bernthal. His podcast series is outstanding. Axl would be comfortable around a dude like Jon and would probably open up more. The interview with Shia LaBeouf was all about being comfortable with the person opposite you asking the questions allowing you to open up and let it all out... 

Edited by kiwiguns

Axl talking about his music and his legacy in the most popular podcast show in the world? Not a chance, bub!

But he would probably do a 5-hour podcast talking about cooking, 90's vampire movies and his favorite Buckethead albums with some random Swedish guy who has like 50 subscribers. 

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2023 at 12:53 AM, WhazUp said:

For me it was mostly, regarding peak COVID the dude spouting out just false and potentially harmful info regarding actions during a pandemic, and as well as giving some really skethy peeps and ideas such a major platform.  I can't see Axl, based on his views and statements on Twitter, ever subscribing to wanting to give him the light of day when other interviewers can provide a long form interview without all that baggage

Do a little research on that. Quite a bit of the things he gave a platform have now become the accepted answers.

He was having the first people on to discuss that it was likely a lab leak. He had the first people on that said vitamin c was one of the main preventative measures we could take both of which were denied at the time. There's a bunch more but I can't recall off the top of my head, but there was far more interest at the time in dismissing all that as conspiracy.

And of course not every person he has on was 100% right, but the news stations and governments were also far from 100% correct and at least one of those knew pretty confidently that they were releasing false information.

So... Joe Rogan may be a lot of things but the narrative you've bought into isn't the one to hang him on. He can be a complete meathead in other areas, and he does say some really stupid shit and sometimes he has people on I wholeheartedly disagree with though.

Just to be clear. I'm not saying the people he platformed were completely right, just that quite a bit was correct and not presented to us in the news for at least another year after his podcast.

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

He was having the first people on to discuss that it was likely a lab leak. He had the first people on that said vitamin c was one of the main preventative measures we could take both of which were denied at the time. There's a bunch more but I can't recall off the top of my head, but there was far more interest at the time in dismissing all that as conspiracy.

The stance on whether the virus was the result of another completely (I say 'another' because this has happened to many times in human history) natural zoonotic event (a virus that mutates to move from an animal to humans) or whether it was a leak from a lab, has not changed: the scientific consensus is still that the former is much more likely: The evidence remains clear: SARS-CoV-2 emerged via the wildlife trade | PNAS The Covid-19 Lab Leak Theory Is a Tale of Weaponized Uncertainty | WIRED

As for vitamin C and Covid-19: This has been tested thoroughly and there is no evidence suggesting vitamin C has a significant preventive effect on Covid-19: Vitamin C and COVID-19 treatment: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials - PMC (nih.gov)

So you didn't really give good examples here. I am not saying there aren't examples where Joe Rogan was ahead of times and interviewed people with minority opinions that turned out to be correct, that will undoubtedly happen if you just interview enough people with opinions that contradict the consensus. Sooner or later even a blind chicken finds a seed. The problem with Joe Rogan, as I understand it, is that he seems to very often give a platform to people whose opinions are proven to be wrong or very unlikely are right.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:05 AM, SoulMonster said:

Jian Ghomeshi

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

So... Joe Rogan may be a lot of things but the narrative you've bought into isn't the one to hang him on. He can be a complete meathead in other areas, and he does say some really stupid shit and sometimes he has people on I wholeheartedly disagree with though.

Just to be clear. I'm not saying the people he platformed were completely right, just that quite a bit was correct and not presented to us in the news for at least another year after his podcast.

I think Rogan allows himself the freedom to express his opinions on a wide variety of topics he seems to know very little about just because it's his show and the selling point seems to be that he's more your average joe that can talk to anyone and keep shit interesting cause the viewers and the guests seems to like him.

some of it is worth a watch imho mainly thanks to some of the guests he brings on his show, but I prefer it when the interviewer knows his shit instead of being like a one stop shop so I get all kinds of interesting topics and guests filtered through how Joe sees it. If that's the trend now, I'm not sure I'm onboard.  

it's still a fun podcast, there are good episodes, but it's like he got the 200 mill for being the perfect common denominator interviewer with some controversy, enough alpha male vibes for the guys, weed and DMT so you know he's down and baseless speculation for the conspiracy theorists plus he tried to steal Fred Durst's image when Limp Bizkit were blowing up.

I'd rather have Nicolas Cage interview Axl in a spooky mansion. no offense to JRE fans, he's not a bad interviwer, I just think there are better options for Axl.

Joe rogans done some of the best rockstar interviews ever. That’s what got me into JRE. He’s had some weird awkward ones (David Lee Roth, Steven Tyler), some mildly interesting ones (Black Keys, Hetfield) and some surprisingly very informative ones (Paul Stanley’s was great, not a huge KISS guy but Paul and Joe got on great).

Joe is a bit of a dunce sometimes, but if you were ever getting your medical advice from a podcaster, you get what you deserve anyway. He’s an entertainer, don’t take it too seriously. He’s spoken about getting Axl on before too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think Rogan allows himself the freedom to express his opinions on a wide variety of topics he seems to know very little about just because it's his show and the selling point seems to be that he's more your average joe that can talk to anyone and keep shit interesting cause the viewers and the guests seems to like him.

some of it is worth a watch imho mainly thanks to some of the guests he brings on his show, but I prefer it when the interviewer knows his shit instead of being like a one stop shop so I get all kinds of interesting topics and guests filtered through how Joe sees it. If that's the trend now, I'm not sure I'm onboard.  

it's still a fun podcast, there are good episodes, but it's like he got the 200 mill for being the perfect common denominator interviewer with some controversy, enough alpha male vibes for the guys, weed and DMT so you know he's down and baseless speculation for the conspiracy theorists plus he tried to steal Fred Durst's image when Limp Bizkit were blowing up.

I'd rather have Nicolas Cage interview Axl in a spooky mansion. no offense to JRE fans, he's not a bad interviwer, I just think there are better options for Axl.

I agree that I'd prefer someone with a bit more specific knowledge on the person being interviewed, but I am a fan of interviews where it's just conversation and unusual topics naturally come out. Like when Hetfield was interviewed and he disclosed that he keeps bees and makes honey, I don't think your typical journalist would get a strange aside question like that.

Honestly don't know who would suit Axl though. One thing Axl might like is that Rogan isn't looking for gotcha headlines so it's a fairly safe space. Dean Delray and Marc Maron have good podcasts with similar styles too. 

I'd listen of course, we all would. But the person I think would be the best to interview him would be Stephen Bartlett on his podcast Diary Of A CEO. Might sound an odd choice but that guy seems to have a way of opening all of his guests up on every episode

JR is a self-admitted idiot.  He knows a lot about stand up comedy and MMA.  If his guests were limited to those areas, I wouldn't have an issue with him. 

But he's the last person who should be interviewing many of the people he has on.  If you need three hours to interview someone, you're not very good at interviewing.

I'd much prefer to hear Howard Stern interview Axl.  Stern is great with people who are generally uncomfortable being interviewed.  Despite the tone of the rest of the show, Stern is a relatively grounded interviewer who often puts his guests at ease, enabling them to open up in ways that most interviewers do not.  

Either way, I don't see Axl doing any long-form interviews any time soon.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Man, people hate Joe Rogan for absolutely no reason, it's quite comical actually.

The same people to easily shun him for a headline (WRITTEN BY SOMEONE ELSE) that may or may not be true are also the same people that wouldn't be able to listen to a 3 hour long podcast by him and form their own opinion on the man. 

I've listened to Joe since 2016 and have gone back and listened to some of his shows before that. He's no stranger to musical guests: it started with a small local band Honey Honey, but eventually led to him interviewing the likes of Everlast, Paul Stanley, Maynard James Keenan, Henry Rollins, Steven Tyler, etc etc the list goes on.

The whole idea of the show is like a bunch of college students smoked pot and had a stream of consciousness that they recorded. For those of you that have never had that experience, the common denominator of it is: WHAT IF. and thats where a lot of these "JOE ROGAN SPREADS DISINFORMATION..." headlines come from. "WHAT IF x, y, or z happened?"

I think if you gave 3 hours with Joe and Axl, Slash, or Duff in a room, you'd come out with more info then when you started. 

He just had on Anthony Kiedis recently. And RHCP fans hated because it shows too much of the regular guy side rather than the rock star mystique. People got to realize, JRE is not an interview. It's a conversation that could go anywhere.

• Like 1

Imagine he had a podcast of his own... Fucking hell the boards would cave in on themselves with joy/anger/rage/ect.

Either that or a Justin Hawkins Rides Again style reaction channel

1 hour ago, downzy said:

JR is a self-admitted idiot.  He knows a lot about stand up comedy and MMA.  If his guests were limited to those areas, I wouldn't have an issue with him. 

But he's the last person who should be interviewing many of the people he has on.  If you need three hours to interview someone, you're not very good at interviewing.

I'd much prefer to hear Howard Stern interview Axl.  Stern is great with people who are generally uncomfortable being interviewed.  Despite the tone of the rest of the show, Stern is a relatively grounded interviewer who often puts his guests at ease, enabling them to open up in ways that most interviewers do not.  

Either way, I don't see Axl doing any long-form interviews any time soon.  

It seems you don't get the point of JRE..because you just made a perfect example of yourself as someone who doesn't know what it's about by writing "interview". How can you seem to know so much about JRE and then write "interview"?? His podcast is literally NOT AN INTERVIEW, but a conversation between people from all walks of life coming in and hanging out. Many people who only tune in when their favourite musician is on there often end up disappointed because they EXPECT an interview, but it's not one and not designed to be one.

It is evident if you actually listen to episodes such as with Paul Stanley or David Lee Roth where they don't talk much about the music but life in general and other random things. There is no formula or pre written questions, just free flowing thoughts for 3 hours.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1