Axl spoke & sang at Lisa Marie Presleys memorial (small interview pg 5)

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

I don't think that actually happened

It might been Marc Canter who mentioned it happening around 1997. Axl didn't attend Shannon Hoon's funeral allegedly because he didn't want to draw attention to himself and take away from the service.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mystery said:

It might been Marc Canter who mentioned it happening around 1997. Axl didn't attend Shannon Hoon's funeral allegedly because he didn't want to draw attention to himself and take away from the service.

when you say "it happening around 1997", what exactly does that mean? did Marc say that all 5 AFD members attended a funeral together in the late '90's? if Axl didn't attend Shannon Hoon's funeral then that doesn't count. 

Edited by Rovim

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

when you say "it happening around 1997", what exactly does that mean? did Marc say that all 5 AFD members attended a funeral together in the late '90's? if Axl didn't attend Shannon Hoon's funeral then that doesn't count. 

Basically, I haven't read it back in a while but like that other poster I do remember reading that they were technically at the same place but didn't interact. I agree that it doesn't make much sense as Slash had just left and the only member from that lineup still in the band was Duff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mystery said:

Basically, I haven't read it back in a while but like that other poster I do remember reading that they were technically at the same place but didn't interact. I agree that it doesn't make much sense as Slash had just left and the only member from that lineup still in the band was Duff.

interesting if true, maybe I've missed it, just doesn't seem likely.

Beautiful performances.  My local news mentioned Axl was at Lisa Marie funeral too. Always nice to hear cool things about Axl.

37 minutes ago, Zeppelin said:

Pretty touching for Axl to speak and perform for a friend. Speaking is hard enough at these kinds of occasions. I couldn't imagine performing something like that.

I know. you could see the sadness on Axl's face and hear it in his performance. it sucks to lose a friend and too soon like Lisa Marie.  The older you get the more loss you suffer and it never gets easier.

4 minutes ago, Rovim said:

interesting if true, maybe I've missed it, just doesn't seem likely.

Might not even be true but I read it on here before. Reminds me of that awkward moment during the 2006 Eddie Trunk interview/hangout where Sebastian Bach brings up Wes Arkeen and Axl has to tell him he died.

• Sad 1

I listened through the piano intro, hoping, praying... and then he started to sing.

Sigh.

I love the guy, but if he isn't going to sing in baritone, maybe he should retire. His voice is ruined, and it's painful to listen to him now. It's really sad (literally).

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, WendiRosei said:

Yeah, it was all so very touching.  :cry: Not sure if this has been noticed / mentioned but he didn't wear much jewellery right? and iv'e always known him in jewellery, all the chains - the clink- how it sounds and looks. thats Axl ,      ....and for Lisa's service.. n memories..   He thought of everything. i thought the scarf was a beautiful touch, The collar to his outfit may have been  a respectful nod to her father . Really emotional and heart rendering speech for his close friend. I hope he heals. :(

when you take a look closer to his scarf, you can see it wasn't polka dots designed but little face with horns. At least it is what I see, so :lol:

Wish Axl could just just do an acoustic/piano tour, dressing the way he did today which really fits him. Generally keeping it more gentle and focus more on the quality of shows than quantity.

And a setlist with a few new songs added like Perhaps.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Wish Axl could just just do an acoustic/piano tour, dressing the way he did today which really fits him. Generally keeping it more gentle and focus more on the quality of shows than quantity.

And a setlist with a few new songs added like Perhaps.

He'd need to brush up on his piano playing, he's little fast and loose with the timing. But yeah, it would be really cool even if Axl just had a spot during the set where the rest of the band went away and he played some piano by himself.

• Like 1

I don't think is was that bad, especially under these circumstances. Beside that... Just listen to some performances in 91/92. His voice was fucked up then, once in a while too. Give this guy a rest. He's nearly 61 and torturing his voice for over 3 decades now...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

I listened through the piano intro, hoping, praying... and then he started to sing.

Sigh.

I love the guy, but if he isn't going to sing in baritone, maybe he should retire. His voice is ruined, and it's painful to listen to him now. It's really sad (literally).

This. When I saw this cross my feed last night and I clicked on it. I wanted it to be amazing, but same. He sounded like a dying cat. It wasn't because he was choked up, because this is how he always sounds. It was just more in your face in this performance. The worst part is that I could hear him using his lower register voice (not necessarily baritone) in my head as he was singing, and it would have sounded great. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AtlasShrugged said:

This is an incredible performance. Maybe it's not appropriate but I think it'd be a great version to release as a single, with money going to a charity of the family's choice.

People need to hear the raw emotion from Axl here.

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

Sigh.

Interesting. Sometimes I wonder if one’s mood affects the way they hear Axl’s voice on any particular day

6 hours ago, Hollyangel said:

Yes I find it very weird that people do that at a funeral of all places where he is clearly upset at losing a friend.  Not respectful at all, and Axl did well to tolerate it.   I really don't get it.  

Ohhh long time lurker and first time poster: I was at a funeral for a really good friend a few years ago who was a heavy hitter in the music business. A bunch of rock stars showed up - I still refuse to speak to the dumbasses who harassed these mourners (who were there for their friend) and asked for pics and autographs. It was the most cringe thing I had ever seen…

side note: I think Axl sounded and looked good, and I’m hoping he’s (outside of mourning) happy!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He'd need to brush up on his piano playing, he's little fast and loose with the timing. But yeah, it would be really cool even if Axl just had a spot during the set where the rest of the band went away and he played some piano by himself.

Prince had a full tour with just him and a piano playing all his striped back hits. 

Thing is with Axls vocals it will leave him more vulnerable out there without the band. He would have to work on his voice and rearrange the way he sings.

6 minutes ago, vloors said:

Prince had a full tour with just him and a piano playing all his striped back hits. 

Thing is with Axls vocals it will leave him more vulnerable out there without the band. He would have to work on his voice and rearrange the way he sings.

Geez. It was a one time thing. Not a future endeavor.