Axl spoke & sang at Lisa Marie Presleys memorial (small interview pg 5)

6 minutes ago, DustNBones1990 said:

There ain’t no use in challenging these judgemental/hate posters recently. Sadly it’s all about what they want/expect and no one else can be right or be a voice of reason or logic. 
What I don’t understand is if they are so “done” with Axl, why are they even wasting their time on here? But hey… what do we know, they’re right, we’re wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I've been a member here for 20 years. Defended Axl in 2002 when most were shitting on his voice. It's terrible now. 

I check back in case things change. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I've been a member here for 20 years. Defended Axl in 2002 when most were shitting on his voice. It's terrible now. 

I check back in case things change. 

Hey man, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But bringing negativity to others positivity just seems uncool, especially in amongst this thread. You defended him 20 years ago against people “shitting on his voice”… I guess it’s gone full circle, you’re “that” person now. Why waste you’re own time, maybe find another artist you can truly enjoy?

• Like 1

I have to say, I wouldn't have wanted a camera in my face at my friend's funeral. 

I did actually watch this clip, out of curiosity.

I don't think it's very fair to judge it really, given the occasion, but it is astonishing to me that people would think it sounds ok. 

Before we start the "you're a hater" bullshit, and the studious ignoring of all the positive things people say about GNR in favour of the negative.....it probably isn't the occasion to criticize his voice at all. 

Heartfelt, clearly, at a difficult occasion for any human being, let alone one where he was  asked to sing with a camera in his face while he tries to do it. Did it sound good? Very much not to my ears, but it isn't the place for that sort of debate I don't think. 

So....I guess both sides of the debate are right, all things considered. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

This. When I saw this cross my feed last night and I clicked on it. I wanted it to be amazing, but same. He sounded like a dying cat. It wasn't because he was choked up, because this is how he always sounds. It was just more in your face in this performance. The worst part is that I could hear him using his lower register voice (not necessarily baritone) in my head as he was singing, and it would have sounded great. 

Yes, lower register is what I meant lol. I have no idea what baritone, tenor and soprano actually mean in the literal sense. I just know they are low, medium and high haha.

But yes, if he doesn't use his lower voice, he needs to just stop imo.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DustNBones1990 said:

Hey man, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But bringing negativity to others positivity just seems uncool, especially in amongst this thread. You defended him 20 years ago against people “shitting on his voice”… I guess it’s gone full circle, you’re “that” person now. Why waste you’re own time, maybe find another artist you can truly enjoy?

You're right no question about it. And I appreciate your post.

I've checked back many times the last few years to see if Axls voice has improved because it has in the past. 

It isn't improving to my ears so it's time.to check out again!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Just now, F*ck Fear said:

You're right no question about it. And I appreciate your post.

I've checked back many times the last few years to see if Axls voice has improved because it has in the past. 

It isn't improving to my ears so it's time.to check out again!

I wish Axl the best, and I'll always have my fingers crossed that things improve, but as of right now, I'm done with current GNR. Even the band is barely a whisper of what they were in 1992.

But this is a GNR forum. It's not a 2023-GNR-forum. You don't have to listen to, or enjoy what they're doing now to be here. You can be like me, and be a fan of their original run up until 1993 only. It's totally fine.

• Like 3

Just now, SoulMonster said:

There’s no right or wrong in regards to whether you like some singing or not. If you don't like it, that's right for you; if you like it, that's right for you. 

What could be discussed is whether this is the right time and place to critique Axl's singing, and apparently there are different opinions on that too. 

Besides, Axl has never had a typical beautiful, classical voice, at least not the one he has used the most. It's special. For some, immediately appealing, for others more of an acquired taste, for some unpleasant. It is what it is. Some people liked his voice back in the 80s, some in the 90s, some in the 00s, some in the 10s, etc. It has gone through changes and natural deterioration. I am sure many people would prefer the more sombre voice he used here at the funeral to the grating, squealing voice he used so extensively in the 90s, and which so many fans prefer. 

Personally, I think it is awesome how he is still able to sing the songs, in the right key. It's hit and miss but good enough to entertain concert-goers, as evidenced by the mostly praising reviews from the last Australian leg. I mean, considering how challenging many of the songs are, especially in the original key, and how much he has abused his voice. 

As for this performance, I didn't hear much difference to how he has sung this song lately, and I felt it was a moving, sympathetic performance. 

That's what I mean really- the right place thing. 

I think there is definitely lines between people's personal taste in stuff, and whether someone is actually able to do something......but another time, another place etc. 

Reading through, I just... don't get the confusion, or should I say surprise. It's surely no different than what we've been used to lately, or is it? Only this time there's no huge PA and mics, so it sounds even weaker, but we've known this before about Axl's middle range and songs like NR, no? Plus the circumstances, yeah, why not, so... what gives? No surprises there for me.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Reading through, I just... don't get the confusion, or should I say surprise. It's surely no different than what we've been used to lately, or is it? Only this time there's no huge PA and mics, so it sounds even weaker, but we've known this before about Axl's middle range and songs like NR, no? Plus the circumstances, yeah, why not, so... what gives? No surprises there for me.

I think it's that people aren't used to hearing Axl without loads of delay/reverb/compression/eq so they think his voice is thicker than it actually is. I think this is a pretty honest performance in many ways. His voice is not in good shape, but it was a beautiful tribute nonetheless!! End of!

• Like 3

It had obviously been hard to get there, his high anxiety obviously stops him from appearing in public any more except with the band.  He wrote a beautiful rememberance for Lisa and read it out in such a heartfelt manner which was most touching. He then sang a song which she had wished for this  must have been difficult for him in such an emotionally charged environment.  I have a huge respect for him and wish I could give him a cuddle.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 10:47 PM, Tom-Ass said:

This. When I saw this cross my feed last night and I clicked on it. I wanted it to be amazing, but same. He sounded like a dying cat. It wasn't because he was choked up, because this is how he always sounds. It was just more in your face in this performance. The worst part is that I could hear him using his lower register voice (not necessarily baritone) in my head as he was singing, and it would have sounded great. 

Agreed, people praising his vocals hm I do not get that. Sometimes calling a spade a spade is just that. For me no sugarcoating is needed or wanted.  

• Like 1

An eloquent and touching speech from a man who you could tell was humbled to be involved. The Presley family and descendants, for all their wealth and privilege, have seen their fair share of tragedy and loss. It’s as though humans aren’t built to cope in the stratosphere of fame. 

I’m sure Axl can empathise. Glad he’s still knocking about! 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1