Chinese Democracy 2 - Songlist

I have not dealt with it for a few years now and wanted to know if it is actually clear which songs would have ended up on Chinese Democracy 2? That was supposedly finished, according to Axl, but was never released (probably also because of the reunion?!).

So sure, a few songs should be clear:
The General
Atlas Shrugged
State of Grace
Perhaps
Absurd? (at that time still, meanwhile of course published differently)
Oh my God (unlikely as I think)

Then there are of course the other demos without vocals, but as far as there was no further work on them, Axl might not have meant them.

But it's hard for me to come up with at least 10 songs.
Do we know all the "finished" songs GNR have in stock songs from the leaks or can there possibly be more we don't know about. So I mean from the old sessions. That they haven't recorded anything new in the last 10-15 years should be obvious.

If someone can give me a hint how to get the Village Tapes, I would be grateful.

Edited by OhMyGod1986

What a sad list of songs that is. :/

imo, Atlas, State and Perhaps are B-sides at best and won't turn into Big Guns just because Slash is playing guitar now.

The other songs have been released already.

If this is gonna be the core of the final Guns N' Roses album they're better of not releasing anything. Again, imo.

Edited by El Guapo

Just now, El Guapo said:

What a sad list of songs that is. :/

imo, Atlas, State and Perhaps are B-sides at best and won't turn into Big Guns just because Slash is playing guitar now.

The other songs have been released already.

If this is gonna be the core of the final Guns N' Roses album they're better of not releasing anything. Again, imo.

that's what i thought. i mean that can't be it

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Adding to the songs in your original list: Cuban Skies, Soul Monster, Thyme, Going Down, Tonto, Monstrocity, Nothing, Hardschool, Light My Fire, and whatever "4 Heavens" is...

T6I6W5R.png

I’ve always been interested in hearing this rendition of light my fire…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Unless this is a Pele alt account, Soul Monster should certainly make the list, since Axl said he recorded on it.

For all we know it could be a recording like Eye on You where axl is just spitting ideas and mac daddy bs and not final vocals

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Adding to the songs in your original list: Cuban Skies, Soul Monster, Thyme, Going Down, Tonto, Monstrocity, Nothing, Hardschool, Light My Fire, and whatever "4 Heavens" is...

T6I6W5R.png

When is this list from? I’ve heard people say 2008, but is there any proof of that? Does anyone here actually remember seeing this in 2008?

14 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

When is this list from? I’ve heard people say 2008, but is there any proof of that? Does anyone here actually remember seeing this in 2008?

The original email was from early 2008, but I think it was posted online sometime around 2011...

54 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I’ve always been interested in hearing this rendition of light my fire…

They played a bit of the song at one of the 2006 shows: https://streamable.com/ia5k1d

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, OhMyGod1986 said:

I have not dealt with it for a few years now and wanted to know if it is actually clear which songs would have ended up on Chinese Democracy 2? That was supposedly finished, according to Axl, but was never released (probably also because of the reunion?!).

So sure, a few songs should be clear:
The General
Atlas Shrugged
State of Grace
Perhaps
Absurd? (at that time still, meanwhile of course published differently)
Oh my God (unlikely as I think)

Then there are of course the other demos without vocals, but as far as there was no further work on them, Axl might not have meant them.

I don't get the reasoning here.

Except for Atlas Shrugged, none of the songs you listed are "clear" to be on CD2. They were worked on back around 2000. They could easily have been abandoned at any point since then. It's like This I Love, Axl worked on it back in 1993 or so, and it wouldn't have ended up on CD if other guys hadn't insisted. The exception is likely Atlas Shrugged which was ready to go in 2008 and almost made it onto CD.

And then you claim that there was "no further work on" the other songs back from 2000 which at that time had no vocals. How do you know these were abandoned back then? We know the band continued to work on new songs, that Axl recorded vocals prior to the release of CD (between 2000 and 2008) and after (all the way up to 2014). What we don't know is what songs of these, or others, were worked on (except that we know he worked on Silkworms/Absurd, Hard Skool, Soul Monster, and likely the General), but I find it more likely that some of these progressed than that all of them were abandoned as you seem to just assume.

As for your questions: I believe the songs intended for CD2 must have varied, and if we were to ask Axl back in 2000 (when CD2 was to be named PRL), then the songs would probably not be exactly the same as if we had asked him in 2008 or 2014.  

These guys just need to jam together. These songs are old as fuck, most have leaked in some way or another, and they don't represent Slash and Duff's sound in any way. Just jam, record the ideas, work on them, then jam again. Repeat the process a few more times and voila. You got something to hand to the producers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

These guys just need to jam together. These songs are old as fuck, most have leaked in some way or another, and they don't represent Slash and Duff's sound in any way. Just jam, record the ideas, work on them, then jam again. Repeat the process a few more times and voila. You got something to hand to the producers.

They could also just record new songs and use axl's existing lyrics for those. So Axl wouldn't even have to to anything 

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't get the reasoning here.

Except for Atlas Shrugged, none of the songs you listed are "clear" to be on CD2. They were worked on back around 2000. They could easily have been abandoned at any point since then. It's like This I Love, Axl worked on it back in 1993 or so, and it wouldn't have ended up on CD if other guys hadn't insisted. The exception is likely Atlas Shrugged which was ready to go in 2008 and almost made it onto CD.

And then you claim that there was "no further work on" the other songs back from 2000 which at that time had no vocals. How do you know these were abandoned back then? We know the band continued to work on new songs, that Axl recorded vocals prior to the release of CD (between 2000 and 2008) and after (all the way up to 2014). What we don't know is what songs of these, or others, were worked on (except that we know he worked on Silkworms/Absurd, Hard Skool, Soul Monster, and likely the General), but I find it more likely that some of these progressed than that all of them were abandoned as you seem to just assume.

As for your questions: I believe the songs intended for CD2 must have varied, and if we were to ask Axl back in 2000 (when CD2 was to be named PRL), then the songs would probably not be exactly the same as if we had asked him in 2008 or 2014.  

That's my question. Are there finished songs that we don't even know exist? I mean, when Axl says CD 2 is finished, it must be either the songs we know about, and those are the ones I listed and added to by other comments, or it's songs we don't know about yet. There is no other possibility. 
And since there aren't 30 more finished songs that we know about, the track list of the leaked finished songs basically puts them up by itself. 
Of course CD2 from 2000 is different than from 2014. After all, the track list from CD 1 has also changed.

12 minutes ago, OhMyGod1986 said:

That's my question. Are there finished songs that we don't even know exist?

Well, we don't know :lol:

Is it likely there are finished songs we don't know exist? I would say it is not unlikely considering that we know they developed entirely new songs since the sessions in 2000 (like Scraped and resurrected This I Love), and worked extensively on others (like Sorry and Shackler's), and since we know Axl recorded vocals intermittently through the years. Based on this I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some of the other songs from the 2000 leaks have been developed into fully fleshed-out songs or that they have finished songs that originated after 2000 and might have been intended for CD2.

But it's all speculation and it seems like people don't necessarily go with the most plausible or rational scenario but instead whatever fits with their opinions of Axl or what they hope for. 

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

T6I6W5R.png

I believe the songs on this list come from the MSL video where he talked about the memory stick that wound up in his hands somehow.

Also I believe 4 Heavens refers to different versions on KOHD

MSL is a guy known for, and bragging about, elaborating on pieces of actual information he had to make it seem like he had more, to get trades happening. I don't trust ANYTHING that came from him. It was his modus operandi when scamming traders. The list, if it really came from him, could contain a few real songs he had info on, and then be populated with bogus titles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

MSL is a guy known for, and bragging about, elaborating on pieces of actual information he had to make it seem like he had more, to get trades happening. I don't trust ANYTHING that came from him. It was his modus operandi when scamming traders. The list, if it really came from him, could contain a few real songs he had info on, and then be populated with bogus titles.

It's been years since I saw that video or spoke to him, but I fairly sure he mentioned Cuban Skies in that vid and maybe Tonto. Most titles in the lists people make probably just come from the chats Axl did back in the day on the boards

6 hours ago, Shacklermyrye said:

It's been years since I saw that video or spoke to him, but I fairly sure he mentioned Cuban Skies in that vid and maybe Tonto. 

You are correct.

Perhaps and Nothing leaking in 2019 confirmed that list was legit to those who don't know the source.

I didn't even think Perhaps was a song title on that list back then, I thought it was listing an alt song.