Billy Howerdel shares story on how he met Axl Rose

4 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That's awesome, thanks for sharing! I assume that photo is from 1997 then.

Yeah, I assume so! It’s class that these photos are being unearthed from periods where he wasn’t photographed all that often, or seen for that matter!

• Like 3

That photo is a huge bombshell and should go in the Axl in the Wilderness Years thread. He looks like he did around 94-95 but with shorter hair and with a bit of weight on him. I just wonder why he cut his hair so short from 1996-98?

Its also interesting because despite being a "recluse" Axl seemingly didn't mind having his picture taken. He decided not to be a public figure but if asked he would take pictures with friends or even random fans like that guy who showed up at his gate in 1998.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 2

He didn't put an an exact date on this but Billy Howerdel in that post mentioned being there 2 1/2 years and in other sources mentions that he left around September 1999 and was there long enough to have worked on Oh My God.

That places his tenure roughly from March 1997-September 1999. That picture seems like it was taken in either 1997 or 1998 as Axl looked similar in both those years.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this! I've never seen this picture before. It's always so interesting to hear and see about gnr during that time. I think Axl looks really good here as well, not too skinny like during parts of the uyi tour and not overweight. I would love to see more pics or just know more in general about this time 

• Like 2

Amazing that Axl basically disappeared from public eye so long…literally went from biggest “star” to totally disappearing.   With his hat on- wonder if that’s because of hair transplant, his hair was definitely thinning last we saw him in public (‘94ish).   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Original said:

Amazing that Axl basically disappeared from public eye so long…literally went from biggest “star” to totally disappearing.   With his hat on- wonder if that’s because of hair transplant, his hair was definitely thinning last we saw him in public (‘94ish).   

Almost all the pics from that era except for the mugshot and rollercoaster picture has him wearing a hat or bandana so it seems likely. We need a picture that's definitive as being 1999 because he'd grown his hair out by that point.

24 minutes ago, axlvai said:

I cant imagine that vocals... and of course he have some sessions from that era.

If the photo is from 1997 then maybe there wasn't any vocals. The instrumentals would be cool to hear though, I think when Billy first started working with GNR the "lineup" was Robin, Duff, Dave Abbruzzese, Dizzy, and maybe Paul?

1 hour ago, mystery said:

Almost all the pics from that era except for the mugshot and rollercoaster picture has him wearing a hat or bandana so it seems likely. We need a picture that's definitive as being 1999 because he'd grown his hair out by that point.

rollercoaster pic shows his hair was intact and that is summer 97

Really cool story and photo. Another tick in the box of Axl being a decent guy, which after seeing him live for 17 years now, I'm totally convinced of. Hope one day he documents that part of his life but if he doesn't that's just fine too. Guy is a complete legend. Other guy seems really cool too.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

Really cool story and photo. Another tick in the box of Axl being a decent guy, which after seeing him live for 17 years now, I'm totally convinced of. Hope one day he documents that part of his life but if he doesn't that's just fine too. Guy is a complete legend. Other guy seems really cool too.

Its almost unanimous from everyone who worked with Axl during the early Chinese Democracy sessions that he was a friendly, generous guy who's vision they believed in. Most of them left because the album stalled but they had nothing but good things to say and hoped it would eventually be completed.

• Like 1

Here's my chapter on some of the guys who worked with Axl in the period 1995-2000, in various capacities: (19) 21. SEPTEMBER 1997-NOVEMBER 1999: JOSH AND TOMMY JOINS, ROBIN LEAVES, LIVE ERA IS RELEASED - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

This includes Sean Paden, Gary Sunshine, Billy Howerdel and Rob Holliday. I will likely split this chapter into four new chapters and put them more chronologically in the story, but for now I will just keep it like this.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mystery said:

Its almost unanimous from everyone who worked with Axl during the early Chinese Democracy sessions that he was a friendly, generous guy who's vision they believed in. Most of them left because the album stalled but they had nothing but good things to say and hoped it would eventually be completed.

True. Everyone from that era who have spoken seem to have genuinely liked Axl, despite his eccentricities. Even people who were briefly involved, like Moby - I was surprised to read a couple of years ago that, after all this time, he felt sad because Axl didn't talk to him.

• Like 4

Great picture. It's mind-boggling to me that Axl looked very much like Axl all the way up until he resurfaced on the scene looking like a fucking alien after doing god knows what to his face. And he has never recovered since. It's so unfortunate he went down that road but he's the one that has to live with it so who am I to judge ...

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

Great picture. It's mind-boggling to me that Axl looked very much like Axl all the way up until he resurfaced on the scene looking like a fucking alien after doing god knows what to his face. And he has never recovered since. It's so unfortunate he went down that road but he's the one that has to live with it so who am I to judge ...

I thought he looked fanstastic in 2006, never understand what happened afterwards when he resurfaced later for nuGNR tours or his current look. I understand the man is 61 and I'm not judging, I just don't understand what lead to this.

Just now, NicoRourke said:

I thought he looked fanstastic in 2006, never understand what happened afterwards when he resurfaced later for nuGNR tours or his current look. I understand the man is 61 and I'm not judging, I just don't understand what lead to this.

apart from plastic surgery and various skin procedures that can make a person look less like himself, some people age more gracefully than others. It's not a big mystery. Personally, I don't really care about this shit, but I think Axl looks pretty good for his age. :shrugs:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

That is not the point. After 2006, he just grew older and gained some weight, nothing curious about that. The point is what the hell happened to him between 2000 and 2001, hence the weird-ass looks in 2001–2002/03. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

That is not the point. After 2006, he just grew older and gained some weight, nothing curious about that. The point is what the hell happened to him between 2000 and 2001, hence the weird-ass looks in 2001–2002/03. 

I think it was already established in a previous post (he was abducted by aliens who were probably disgruntled Slash fans)

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, NicoRourke said:

He did look much better in 2006 but still rather unnatural if you watch him closely. I understand that he's 61 as well, I don't want to be judgemental here, but to me he doesn't old but rather weird.

He looked like himself in 1999 and almost unrecognizable in 2000. It's shocking that he felt he needed some work done at the age of 37, 38. He was so young. Ah well.