Billy Howerdel shares story on how he met Axl Rose

47 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think it was already established in a previous post (he was abducted by aliens who were probably disgruntled Slash fans)

And they probed his steel suitcase with the finished recordings, thus destroying them, so he had to start over. Ah, now it's all starting to make some sense.

• Haha 1

I call that era post-October 1996 when Slash left to the latter part of 1998 the pre-production era of Chinese Democracy. If this is around March 97 you had Matt Sorum fired right around the time of that pic and Duff leave a few months after. Axl spent the better part of 2 years recruiting for basically a new band and producers.

There was likely a ton of musical ideas and instrumentals recorded but no vocals. Guys would go to the studio and bounce ideas off each other without a clear progression of the record being made. Axl would come in during the early hours of the morning and stay until sunlight.

There were times he'd barely show or just call in to check on progress. Overall an interesting era where Axl believed in starting new but struggled to contribute any song writing or vocals himself. At some point he did start singing and writing again, likely late 1998-into 1999 and that part hasn't been talked about much.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Why do people assume the picture is from 1997, and not 1998, 1999,  or 2000? Because of how Axl looks?

If Billy Howerdel joined Guns N' Roses in 1997 it makes sense he'd take a picture with Axl when he first met him than a year or two later. You're right that there's not an exact date and Billy didn't give one. 

59 minutes ago, mystery said:

Wondering if Josh Freese has any pictures of him and Axl from that era? Before this he posted a picture of him and someone else in the studio wearing balloon hats which was the only picture from that era.

I think the other dude was Tommy or Robin

21 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Here's my chapter on some of the guys who worked with Axl in the period 1995-2000, in various capacities: (19) 21. SEPTEMBER 1997-NOVEMBER 1999: JOSH AND TOMMY JOINS, ROBIN LEAVES, LIVE ERA IS RELEASED - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

This includes Sean Paden, Gary Sunshine, Billy Howerdel and Rob Holliday. I will likely split this chapter into four new chapters and put them more chronologically in the story, but for now I will just keep it like this.

Hi - can you clarify what I'm looking at here? It's clearly a number of quotes from individuals who were there but I'm not quite sure what the sequence of events are.

1 hour ago, W. Axl Kev said:

Hi - can you clarify what I'm looking at here? It's clearly a number of quotes from individuals who were there but I'm not quite sure what the sequence of events are.

Sure. You are looking at a temporary chapter from my A4D section on the history of GN\R that details some of the people that were involved with the band in the period 1995-2000. In this chapter I try to collect all quote-based information I have on these guys. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Sure. You are looking at a temporary chapter from my A4D section on the history of GN\R that details some of the people that were involved with the band in the period 1995-2000. In this chapter I try to collect all quote-based information I have on these guys. 

Thank you - when I opened it I did so without context and wasn't sure what I was looking at.

• Like 1