The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

2 minutes ago, mystery said:

I think Slash leaving was something that honestly hurt Axl and wasn't expected on his part. Remember reading that Axl tried contacting people close to him immediately after to convince him to come back. Axl's dislike of Slash in that era was that he thought he was distorting things that happened and putting him in a bad light.

Despite that I think he always respected his musicianship. I think there's an interview from 2001 or 02 where Axl admits the music they were makin in 1996 was really good.

yes, I think Axl was honest about Slash's abilities as a gifted guitar player. No one can play like that which is a big problem in a band like Gn'R which benefited greatly from Slash's unique sound, riffs, and lead playing. (image and stage presence as well) imo. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

if it's true that Axl wanted Slash to play on 3 Chinese tracks or something if he agreed to make a public apology (which I think was an absurd condition) then maybe Axl was aware that even just a little Slash would make the album something else, more acceptable to od school Guns fans and/or improve it. I think it was in 2001, but I could be wrong.

Yes, it was in early 2001. According to Marc Canter, one of the three songs was Fall To Pieces  (or,  rather,  the sketch that ended up becoming FTP):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t6807-fall-to-pieces

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

This thread should be locked until ACTUAL news that is discussion worthy comes out. There is no point to have a thread like this that consists of a myriad of different topics, conversations, and arguments like the original one was and is the only reason it ever reached 1000 pages. As it stands right now, per the band themselves, there is NO album, not in release state, not in production, not in plans to be recorded, or released ... NOTHING. There are MAYBE a FEW songs that MIGHT be released. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS THREAD TO BE OPEN.

Killjoy

1 hour ago, Jw224 said:

Here's to another thousand, everyone. 

Au contraire mon frère, we’ll be back next summer with a whole bunch of ‘plans changed’ bullshit excuses. 

48 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

This thread should be locked until ACTUAL news that is discussion worthy comes out. There is no point to have a thread like this that consists of a myriad of different topics, conversations, and arguments like the original one was and is the only reason it ever reached 1000 pages. As it stands right now, per the band themselves, there is NO album, not in release state, not in production, not in plans to be recorded, or released ... NOTHING. There are MAYBE a FEW songs that MIGHT be released. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS THREAD TO BE OPEN.

Dude got a point 

2 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Lol. I'm already in enough trouble for locking the other one. If I lock this one there will be mutiny. 

So that's a no I'm afraid.

Spoiler

Unless Uncle Axl sends me some more hush money. ;)

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Lol. I'm already in enough trouble for locking the other one. If I lock this one there will be mutiny. 

So that's a no I'm afraid.

Reveal hidden contents

Unless Uncle Axl sends me some more hush money. ;)

We would support you, if you could lock this thread and reopen the other one until it reaches a legit 1000 pages. We need that album announcement. :lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sofine11 said:

This was always a no-brainer for me. Chinese is a good song, but that minute long ambient intro made it a very strange choice for lead single.

The single itself doesn’t contain the fake Chinese talking at the beginning.

The Village and Skrewl versions are still superior versions IMO 

17 hours ago, sofine11 said:

This was always a no-brainer for me. Chinese is a good song, but that minute long ambient intro made it a very strange choice for lead single.

My favorite mix is the 2000 with Josh on drums. (I believe there's a few on the Village CDs) The short intro, Tommy's bass, and Josh's drums are killer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rovim said:

if it's true that Axl wanted Slash to play on 3 Chinese tracks or something if he agreed to make a public apology (which I think was an absurd condition) then maybe Axl was aware that even just a little Slash would make the album something else, more acceptable to od school Guns fans and/or improve it. I think it was in 2001, but I could be wrong.

Is that seriously true?? Even for Axl Rose that's a new level of immaturity (I think so anyway- who knows though? :blink:). 

Edited by Rodzilla72
fix typo

21 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, it was in early 2001. According to Marc Canter, one of the three songs was Fall To Pieces  (or,  rather,  the sketch that ended up becoming FTP):

https://www.a-4-d.com/t6807-fall-to-pieces

So are you saying that the demo of what would become FTP was worked on during the CD sessions as well?

5 hours ago, Rodzilla72 said:

Is that seriously true?? Even for Axl Rose that's a new level of immaturity (I think so anyway- who knows though? :blink:). 

I dunno, slash had spent 5 years by then slagging him off while in the same sentence saying "I don't wanna talk about it/I'm bored of being asked". Axl always came across far better in that era, his very few public comments seemed to be lengthy explanations of how things went down. Slash spent years bad mouthing Axl and making pretty shitty comments, especially when on the promotion train circa 2004 for the VR album. 

Ive always been team Axl. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Matinator said:

So are you saying that the demo of what would become FTP was worked on during the CD sessions as well?

Who knows, but I don't think so. Maybe what would become FTP was a part Slash had written on a song idea Axl was working on in 1996, and Axl was thinking of using that part only if Slash played on the album. But since that didn't happen, the song idea could have developed into something else or abandoned.

Someone mentioned in the last couple of pages that Axl, Slash, and I assume Duff too, were working on new stuff in around 1996. I totally forgot about this. And apparently Axl thought highly of this material.

Does anyone know if this stuff was ever used? Did it become incorporated into Chinese Democracy or Velvet Revolver? Or does it just need a wee spit and polish for the current version of the band for release?

2 hours ago, Millions said:

Someone mentioned in the last couple of pages that Axl, Slash, and I assume Duff too, were working on new stuff in around 1996. I totally forgot about this. And apparently Axl thought highly of this material.

Does anyone know if this stuff was ever used? Did it become incorporated into Chinese Democracy or Velvet Revolver? Or does it just need a wee spit and polish for the current version of the band for release?

I think one of them may have been Hardschool, outside of that who knows. Given rejected stuff went on the first Snakepit album wouldn't surprise me if some stuff off Ain't life grand started life as GNR songs rejected by Axl. I do remember hearing Nightcrawler turned into Speed Parade, Although obviously Nightcrawler was way old by 96

10 hours ago, Millions said:

We don't know much about the fate of the songs they worked on during these ill-fated weeks in August/September 1996. Fall To Pieces were likely one of the songs they worked on, perhaps Hardschool, too. As @Shacklermyrye suggests, they could have been used elsewhere. I think most likely they exist as sketches of songs without leads guitar or vocals found on some DATs in an archive somewhere. 

You can read about this period here: (16) 19. DECEMBER 1994-OCTOBER 1996: AXL AND SLASH FIGHTS, SLASH QUITS - Page 2 (a-4-d.com) There are about 4-5 chapters after each other that deal with his period and many quotes mentioning the songs.