Axl low register

16 minutes ago, Nightrain7 said:

Axl you dont need your fans permission, you do as you please. However, if you sing certain songs in your low register fans will eat it up in a live setting.  Watching back last year in London it sounded amazing 🤩 Estranged, Civil War, Nightrain etc

Longevity- Axl could sing low but still save it for the high register  ‘for the hits’  and make a set where no one questions his voice.

He Sounds amazing singing lower, it Sounds much more natural imo 🤘

• Like 4

I'm always amazed by how Axl can go from a screeching high pitched wail to a low  Bass Baritone voice. 😄🤘 I remember hearing Patience for the first time by Guns N'Roses, and I thought,"What happened to the high pitched singer who sings Paradise City, Sweet Child Of Mine, and Welcome To The Jungle?🤔 Did they get rid of him and replace him with this low Bass Baritone man who sings Patience?🤔 It blew my mind that Axl sang the low Bass Baritone Patience as well! 😳😁

• Like 2

The best example of how quickly he can switch from high to low register is Weedsport 88, third chorus of Rocket Queen where he’s shouting to the crowd and security in his speaking voice right as he’s singing the chorus, it’s crazy flexibility 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

The best example of how quickly he can switch from high to low register is Weedsport 88, third chorus of Rocket Queen where he’s shouting to the crowd and security in his speaking voice right as he’s singing the chorus, it’s crazy flexibility 

I'm confused on how many natural speaking voices Axl has. 🤔🤨

In the Riverport Concert Riot, Axl is singing Rocket Queen and all of a sudden, he says,"Hey take that, take that, grab that guy and take it now. I'll take it, Goddamn it! Well, thanks to the lame ass Security, I'm going home!" He says this in a considerably lower voice than his usual screeching high pitched wailing singing.  I'd say this is a Baritone speaking voice.

In his ranting to the crowd when someone throws a "Rock," at him in Brazil(It was actually a piece of a towel hanger as confirmed by Brazilian Fans, 😉) he speaks with the same type of Baritone voice as the Riverport Concert Riot one.

In the middle of Perfect Crime, he sings "Ostracized, but that's all right, I was thinking about something myself." In this Baritone voice.

In his general rants to the crowd , like the one he ranted about his Stepfather constantly beating him up and his Mother just allowing him to that and not divorcing his abusive Stepfather like MANY Mothers would have done, he has a Baritone voice. He also uses this Baritone voice when he rants about magazines who were spreading BS about Guns N'Roses. 

In the NBA Finals interview he uses a slightly high pitched Baritone voice, not quite his screeching wail, not quite his It's So Easy voice. Veering somewhere right in the middle. 🤣

In the Steven Adler vs Guns N'Roses Lawsuit, Axl has a REALLY deep, Bass voice,  almost like his It's So Easy song(When I heard It's So Easy, I was like,"Axl sounds REALLY deep,  kind of like James Hetfield! 😳🤣) He also sounds similar to Barry White's Bass voice. 

He also uses his REALLY deep, Bass voice in his at home interviews with Kurt Loder(One when he's in his house sitting on a couch(Axl and Kurt Loder House Interview) and one when he's sitting outside on a patio(Last Words Interview).

Edited by Karice

8 hours ago, Spaghetti4twenty said:

3:26

Yeah, the "my hands are tied" line sounds so raw and powerful, and the other parts of the chorus where he switches to his lower register are good too. Please, oh please Axl, sing like this on the upcoming tour! 

• Like 1

not to shit on those who would prefer this low register thing, but personally, I don't get it and I don't think most Gn'R fans would be interested in this. The tunes where Axl is supposed to do the high notes in higher octaves sound weak and weird imo and a major part of the Gn'R sound is Axl's ability to use his impressive range in such a way that the high notes are a must imho. 

my guess is Axl won't go for it either. It works on some Gn'R tunes, but on most I think it requires his classic vocal approach in Gn'R. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rovim said:

not to shit on those who would prefer this low register thing, but personally, I don't get it and I don't think most Gn'R fans would be interested in this. The tunes where Axl is supposed to do the high notes in higher octaves sound weak and weird imo and a major part of the Gn'R sound is Axl's ability to use his impressive range in such a way that the high notes are a must imho. 

my guess is Axl won't go for it either. It works on some Gn'R tunes, but on most I think it requires his classic vocal approach in Gn'R. 

Maybe he could use BOTH his low Register and his high register on ALL of his songs for an upcoming Show? 🤔🤘😁

6 minutes ago, Karice said:

Maybe he could use BOTH his low Register and his high register on ALL of his songs for an upcoming Show? 🤔🤘😁

you use it where it's appropriate I think so it sounds right kinda like the right tool for a specific job, you don't use all of your tools on every job.

Edited by Rovim

38 minutes ago, Rovim said:

you use it where it's appropriate I think so it sounds right kinda like the right tool for a specific job, you don't use all of your tools on every job.

But Axl's vocals are no ordinary tools. 😏 Maybe, just maybe he could use all of his "Tools," for every "Project," for a certain upcoming Tradeshow ? 😏

49 minutes ago, Karice said:

But Axl's vocals are no ordinary tools. 😏 Maybe, just maybe he could use all of his "Tools," for every "Project," for a certain upcoming Tradeshow ? 😏

I think the point I was trying to make is that some Gn'R tunes don't work for me vocally if sung in Axl's lower register. There is clearly a valid artistic reason for why Axl chose to record the studio versions the way he did.

to sing that way like he did when he had vocal issues in that one show is not a good solution for his lack of ability to be as consistent as he once was as a vocalist imo.

Edited by Rovim

Ah, yes. That makes sense. Let's take the thing that's most unique and awesome about Axl's vocals - that screaming demonic high register - and just...take it away. That'll be great.

While we're at it - Slash does a little too much noodling these days. Rather than fix that, he should just stop playing guitar solos. The fans will love it. SCOM just sounds so much better with no solo.

...I'm being a sarcastic asshole, but there is *nothing* spectacular about Axl's lower register. There's nothing unique about it. Your average karaoke singer can go out and do that. What they *can't* do is hit those soaring high notes when he's on his game. He needs to fix his voice, not change it.

16 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Ah, yes. That makes sense. Let's take the thing that's most unique and awesome about Axl's vocals - that screaming demonic high register - and just...take it away. That'll be great.

The demonic screaming voice is already gone. :shrugs:

I'd rather hear Axl use his natural voice than a weak, thin parody of his high voice. He can still scream his way through passable performances of SOYL or Reckless Life but he pushes his voice to 100% and the results usually aren't worth the effort.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The demonic screaming voice is already gone. :shrugs:

I'd rather hear Axl use his natural voice than a weak, thin parody of his high voice. He can still scream his way through passable performances of SOYL or Reckless Life but he pushes his voice to 100% and the results usually aren't worth the effort.

I get what you're saying but, to me, if he can't hit nail the high register voice, then this thing is truly doomed. Because neither Mickey or the low register voice are going to get my butt back in a seat.

I'm just glad I caught them in 2016. Great times.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I get what you're saying but, to me, if he can't hit nail the high register voice, then this thing is truly doomed. Because neither Mickey or the low register voice are going to get my butt back in a seat.

I'm just glad I caught them in 2016. Great times.

Ideally they'd overhaul the set so most of it is low vocals, cut it down to under 3 hours, add PTU, Down On The Farm, etc and save the high vocals and screams for their 5 biggest hits.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:36 PM, Cosmo said:

Low register Axl >>>>> Mickey out-of-breath Axl

But I'd rather have Axl like he was in AC/DC.

This.

Makes you wonder why he isnt using his low register voice. Is he even aware it is better? No one even bothered to tell him, Slash, Duff, Beta, Fernando? He keeps using Mickey which I have never seen anyone praise it. 

• Like 1