Slash interview in Total Guitar (April 2023 issue)

second time I've read Slash saying that he compromised when it came to studio equipment. It's a shame cause sometimes I get the feeling that he doesn't care enough to make sure it's right. Did this with the recording of Contraband too. Using Josh Abraham to produce with a studio setup that Slash wasn't used to or happy with and saying that Josh Abraham "wasn't a guitar guy".

very different from how Gn'R used to record and you get the sense that Slash is almost like a guest in his own band.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rovim said:

second time I've read Slash saying that he compromised when it came to studio equipment. It's a shame cause sometimes I get the feeling that he doesn't care enough to make sure it's right. Did this with the recording of Contraband too. Using Josh Abraham to produce with a studio setup that Slash wasn't used to or happy with and saying that Josh Abraham "wasn't a guitar guy".

very different from how Gn'R used to record and you get the sense that Slash is almost like a guest in his own band.

That's how these 2 tracks sound like and that's the vibe Slash is giving since at least 2018. :/

• Like 2

As poorly mixed as the 2 songs are, I actually find the guitar tone to be very Slash and not bad at all.  Very "Slashy" for lack of a better term lol so I don't have an issue with the approach moreso the treatment the songs as a whole were given

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 6:09 PM, Rovim said:

Completely agree. That's that exact the sentiment I felt too. "Small sort of Pro-Tools setup" and comparing it to "my own rig". 

16 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Sounds like Caram and Axl reamped Slash's track, that's why he didn't use his own rig. I think Hard Skool was ok, but his tone in Absurd wasn't great.

Slash could be forgiven for feeling "this is Sympathy for the Devil all over again". However, the pay checks that come with this are significantly larger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

And the unsincronized verses which we believe are an artistic decision 

Of course that was done on purpose, you think nobody recognized it? :D

I thought it was kinda cool the first couple of listens, after that...not so much. :/

Maybe it was their best idea to get away with only one verse, who knows.

Edited by El Guapo

If I recall correctly, didn’t someone accidentally tweet that they were loaning slash an amp to use to record a new song at Axl’s house? And Gibbo even verified that? Slash’s comment here seems to line up with that.

Cant remember who it was that made that tweet, though. Caram, maybe?

On 3/20/2023 at 9:00 AM, Alejandro GNR said:

And the unsincronized verses which we believe are an artistic decision 

It’s rather Absurd. Other than the OG chorus, that second verse coming in hot right after the interlude was the coolest part of the song. 

Edited by Spaghetti4twenty

On 3/20/2023 at 9:54 AM, guitarpatch said:

You get the sense that he just went in and put down a few takes and washed his hands of it.  They’re not his or this current band’s tunes 

Again, I wished they’d re-recorded those old songs from the ground up. Axl included. The reworked songs end up being a completely different vibe. The vocals should reflect that. 

It just says they aren’t serious on that front. This is a nostalgic touring band. Creative outlets are elsewhere 

And unfortunately for Axl, those creative outlets are 100% private! 

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

If I recall correctly, didn’t someone accidentally tweet that they were loaning slash an amp to use to record a new song at Axl’s house? And Gibbo even verified that? Slash’s comment here seems to line up with that.

Cant remember who it was that made that tweet, though. Caram, maybe?

I think it was a guitar shop that posted something about servicing an amp before sending it to Axl's house? Pretty sure it wasn't Caram.