I’d love a stripped down GNR show

I saw SMKC last week and it was amazing how much energy the band had. Just 2 hours of straight up Rock. Then I watched Guns at the Whiskey in 1986 and was reminded that they were a great hard rock band with lots of attitude and energy at one point. 

And while I get the whole evolution thing, I’d love to see them go back to their roots for awhile at least. 

Leave the pianos and keyboards at home, play as a 5 piece, limit the show to 4 ballads, cut the songs over 7 mins, limit the guitar changes etc. Don’t drag songs out like KOHD. Even if the show is shorter, just keep the energy going. 

Id love to see that. And sure Axl did ACDC which is a similar vibe.

Am I alone? 

• Like 4

Best case scenario is a leaner set with less of the epic tracks, pianos and keyboards are as linked to gnr now as guitars, drum and bass. Plenty of material that can't be played without them, and then there's the problem of tracks that don't need piano/keys but Axl would struggle too much trying to sing them now. That's a very limited set, but it could be cool for Arenas and some larger theatres, that could be cool.

I think they're at a point where they could drop Civil War and Estranged. I know, I know, Estranged is their best song, blah blah blah. It sucks the energy out of a stadium show. If Axl sang it with the lower voice it might be better received, but for whatever reason, he doesn't want to do that. If they're gonna play a longer song that most of the crowd isn't into, I'd take Locomotive or TWAT over Estranged these days.

Rocket Queen and KOHD need to be shortened, I wouldn't mind if they dropped RQ or at least alternated it with YCBM.

Replace Slither with a TSI? song or Marseilles... hell they could replace it with Children Of The Revolution if that's released before they tour again. But the novelty's worn off and Axl sounds dreadful on the chorus.

I know some people here are stoked they're playing Reckless Life, but man Axl struggled on that one in Vancouver last year. It was one of the songs where he was dropping lines/notes, and it's a deeper cut that didn't get a big pop from the crowd, he doesn't need to strain himself by singing it at every show.

I'd like to hear them bring back The Garden and You Ain't The First. Black Leather would be cool, and could be alternated with Down On The Farm. Alternate between Raw Power, So Fine and maybe You Ain't The First as an Axl/Duff duet before Duff's solo spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think they're at a point where they could drop Civil War and Estranged. I know, I know, Estranged is their best song, blah blah blah. It sucks the energy out of a stadium show. If Axl sang it with the lower voice it might be better received, but for whatever reason, he doesn't want to do that. If they're gonna play a longer song that most of the crowd isn't into, I'd take Locomotive or TWAT over Estranged these days.

Rocket Queen and KOHD need to be shortened, I wouldn't mind if they dropped RQ or at least alternated it with YCBM.

Replace Slither with a TSI? song or Marseilles... hell they could replace it with Children Of The Revolution if that's released before they tour again. But the novelty's worn off and Axl sounds dreadful on the chorus.

I know some people here are stoked they're playing Reckless Life, but man Axl struggled on that one in Vancouver last year. It was one of the songs where he was dropping lines/notes, and it's a deeper cut that didn't get a big pop from the crowd, he doesn't need to strain himself by singing it at every show.

I'd like to hear them bring back The Garden and You Ain't The First. Black Leather would be cool, and could be alternated with Down On The Farm. Alternate between Raw Power, So Fine and maybe You Ain't The First as an Axl/Duff duet before Duff's solo spot.

The thing with Rocket Queen is that it's actually a roughly three and a half minute song. The last three minutes is a completely different song where Axl sings about wanting to be friends with a Woman(I see you standing, standing on your own song) .  I don't know what they were thinking with tacking a completely different song into Rocket Queen and calling it a day. 🥴

Edited by Karice

9 minutes ago, Karice said:

The thing with Rocket Queen is that it's actually a roughly three and a half minute song. The last three minutes is a completely different song where Axl sings about wanting to be friends with a Woman(I see you standing, standing on your own song) .  I don't know what they were thinking with tacking a completely different song into Rocket Queen and calling it a day. 🥴

Rocket Queen and Prostitute are great closing songs for similar reasons - they're good songs on their own, and they perfectly encapsulate those albums. The first half of Rocket Queen is sleazy while the second half is more personal, but the whole song has a nice groove. It's the G and R side combined into one song and it actually works.

My point was that it doesn't sound good live anymore, and the extended jams in the middle get tiring. This lineup would sound better on songs like You Ain't The First and Black Leather.

9 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I saw SMKC last week and it was amazing how much energy the band had. Just 2 hours of straight up Rock. Then I watched Guns at the Whiskey in 1986 and was reminded that they were a great hard rock band with lots of attitude and energy at one point. 

And while I get the whole evolution thing, I’d love to see them go back to their roots for awhile at least. 

Leave the pianos and keyboards at home, play as a 5 piece, limit the show to 4 ballads, cut the songs over 7 mins, limit the guitar changes etc. Don’t drag songs out like KOHD. Even if the show is shorter, just keep the energy going. 

Id love to see that. And sure Axl did ACDC which is a similar vibe.

Am I alone? 

I think Axl needs somewhere to hide. His voice up front and centre in a accoustic setting leaves his vocal issues very exposed.

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Fully agree and that’s exactly what I mean. Estranged is obviously a great song but it sucks the energy out of the show for sure. Especially where it’s placed in the set. 

Rocket Queen is a great song. Would love to hear it live one day without the jams and noodling. 

This was a part of the setlist at a recent GNR show

Guitar Solo, SCOM, NR, This I Love, Yesterdays, KOHD

Thats probably 45 mins of ballads 

But this thread wasn’t really intended as a setlist bash. More just hopeful that they’ll do something very different next time they’re back. 

I’d be more interested in another acoustic type show. That L’Arc performance in 2010 was absolutely top drawer, I hope that the pro-shot sees the light of day as that would more than scratch the itch. Rose Bar was great too, but in true GNR fashion, the acoustic show we have professionally filmed is Bridge School.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

This was a part of the setlist at a recent GNR show

Guitar Solo, SCOM, NR, This I Love, Yesterdays, KOHD

Thats probably 45 mins of ballads 

But this thread wasn’t really intended as a setlist bash. More just hopeful that they’ll do something very different next time they’re back. 

A lot of Fans question whether or not  SCOM is a ballad. It's a love song, but a ballad is usually soft like say Every Rose Has It's Thorn by Poison or When I'm With You by Sheriff. SCOM is a hard hitting song that packs a hard wallop. 💡 

Edited by Karice