Well, it's officially been 10 years since the final NuGNR show

Posted (edited)

How do you feel about the era a decade later? And how would you sum up the last 10 years of Guns? Can't believe it's been that long tbh! 

I'd largely tuned out by the end of NuGuns, but here's Axl's wee sendoff:

Edited by AxlIsGod.
Added video
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

How do you feel about the era a decade later? And how would you sum up the last 10 years of Guns? Can't believe it's been that long tbh! 

Missed opportunities. The big problem was when Axl wasn't able to keep the Robin and Buckethead lineup together. I think he lost some drive when that fell apart and any efforts to replace them just led to weaker lineups. Gradually, probably after CD was released, he also lost the motivation to release the second album with CD era music and it all kind of just dragged out until it ended with a fizzle.

The last 10 years have been okay, I mean we got some live releases and singles from the CD sessions, but Axl runs on fumes now and any hope for new, new music is gone for me. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 3
  • PERHAPS 1

Didn't follow GnR much anymore after Slash left, too many other bands to listen to. Although I enjoyed most songs on CD, but didn't bother with the concerts anymore.
Last ten years have been cool, saw them live again, was good to see Slash and Duff being back and enjoyed some of the new songs. Obviously would have been even better if they had released more new music, but meh... it is what it is.

38 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

thanks god

*thank

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Didn't follow GnR much anymore after Slash left, too many other bands to listen to. Although I enjoyed most songs on CD, but didn't bother with the concerts anymore.
Last ten years have been cool, saw them live again, was good to see Slash and Duff being back and enjoyed some of the new songs. Obviously would have been even better if they had released more new music, but meh... it is what it is.

*thank

*gods

Posted (edited)

I'm here almost 20 yrs. Been a fan since t2 soundtrack and all I have to say is that 2005-2014 were shitty times to be a fan. I've seen them many times but 2012's Rybnik, Poland was the fkn worst. They were late more than 2,5 hrs, Ashba was unbearable, Axl looked like a pimp and it was musically so so. Gdańsk 2017 were like whole other band (indeed was). 

Edited by Tomek1985
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Missed opportunities. The big problem was when Axl wasn't able to keep the Robin and Buckethead lineup together. I think he lost some drive when that fell apart and any efforts to replace them just led to weaker lineups. Gradually, probably after CD was released, he also lost the motivation to release the second album with CD era music and it all kind of just dragged out until it ended with a fizzle.

The last 10 years have been okay, I mean we got some live releases and singles from the CD sessions, but Axl runs on fumes now and any hope for new, new music is gone for me. 

I'd agree with this a lot. GNR was very interesting to me from about 96-2001 when it seemed Axl was trying to create something new and original. Underground musicians, punk musicians, industrial music, hip-hop etc. I imagined a future where GNR would become the biggest cult band in the world, playing theatres to hardcore fans. I could get on board with that as a vision. It was genuinely something radically new for GNR.

By 2007 though nu-GNR had become an imitation of the original GNR, even down to their look. I really liked the concerts I went to but the creative energy wasn't there. Seeing music like oh My God turning into street of dreams (which I really like, but obviously is more of a traditional rock song) was also a bit disappointing. I think the sad thing was that the more Axl deviated from the 96-2001 vision and went with the imitation version of the original GNR, the less popular he became. So eventually they ended up playing quite small venues or less sold out venues.

I also wish his creative vision in terms of his lyrical content had expanded a lot more during the 96-2001 era. If anything, it feels like the more he tried to expand what GNR was the more his vision became focused on his own personal struggles. Whereas actually looking back this was a time period when the world was lead up to the war on terror, global financial crash, beginnings of runaway climate change, things like massive fires and inequality in california etc. Tapping into those themes would have been very different for a mainstream rock band at the time. I like Absurd/Silkworms but obviously it's more on the Back off Bitch side of things lyrically, and is an old theme for GNR even if the music is different.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Overall, that era was full of missed opportunities. The positives, we did get one album, that was pretty good (my favorite, but I understand why others don't like it), 1999 Oh My God, and a lot of touring. Been to two shows, my first Guns shows, 2011 and also 2012, great performances. 

I was sad about the reunion because I was still holding out for CD2 by 2014, and I knew it was largely a nostalgic money grab, much like Pitman said. Now we're getting horribly pieced together CD2 songs with the current lineup. 

Guns had 2009-2014 to drop CD2, so that's on them. (Or Axl, or the label, who knows)

Best case for Guns, as I'm sure many agree, would have been if Robin and Bucket stayed around to complete and release at least two albums of material, then by the time of the reunion, whatever they had for CD3 (or whatever) could be finished by NITL, along with whatever they could bring to the table.

The funny thing is, since 2016, aside from 4 CD2 songs with Slash and Duff, they have not done much except touring, and some music videos. It's more or less the same thing, different decade. Different players. 

The most realistic thing I hope for, is another colossal leak of CD-era songs, hopefully all the Bucket and Robin stuff. 

The thing that's different now is just the whole vibe. I enjoyed that earlier part of NuGuns when it was all a bit weird and interesting, but by the end you were a laughing stock if you liked GNR.

Touring has of course been the focus in recent years but they just feel like a real band again, and there's a huge buzz when they roll through town. A band that doesn't make music anymore, but a real, tangible thing you can like and hold on to.

I've really enjoyed the reunion years, and have never really expected new music so that side of things hasn't been a letdown to me. Imo we should have moved on straight after CD dropped and just done the reunion then but hey ho, at least we got it in this lifetime.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AxlIsGod. said:

The thing that's different now is just the whole vibe. I enjoyed that earlier part of NuGuns when it was all a bit weird and interesting, but by the end you were a laughing stock if you liked GNR.

Touring has of course been the focus in recent years but they just feel like a real band again, and there's a huge buzz when they roll through town. A band that doesn't make music anymore, but a real, tangible thing you can like and hold on to.

Axl and the band does seem to be having more fun. In fact, I got those vibes in the 2021 performance I saw in Detroit. Absurd was wild and kickass, the band on fire, the crowd mostly confused and just taking it in. :P I like how they dialed Chinese Democracy (the song) down much like the Village versions of it vs later leaks and the final album version. Even the never-ending Rocket Queen and KOHD performances were fun.  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Posted (edited)

Had the album come out in 1999 or 2001, I think they could have been a special band relative to where rock was at the time in the mainstream. 

By 2006, the bloom was off the Rose. While Axl found a second prime as a frontman, the project was far too much of a punchline for anybody to take it seriously outside of the hardcore fans. It's a miracle that the brand name was strong enough to convince Best Buy to bail them out. I loved 2006 NuGNR, but I am more referring to the prospect of the band releasing an album that would be given a fair shot critically and embraced by the public. 

Looking at the material on Libertad, and how lacklustre it was, 2006 would have been the optimal time for Slash and Duff to re-join Guns N' Roses and finish Chinese Democracy. As absuЯd and out of place as they are on that material, that material was stronger than anything they were writing at the time short of one or two songs from the Libertad sessions. Axl was a beast live and still looked like an iconic frontman. As much as I would have preferred the earlier versions of the CD material, a hypothetical Slash/Duff CD in 2006 would have been accepted by the general public and paved the way for Axl to release the material from the sessions.

I was not a fan of the later days of NuGNR. Saying that watching the band was like watching someone have sex with a corpse would be too much of a compliment. It was more like watching someone lay down nude next to a corpse because they didn't have the motivation to have sex with it. 

Edited by gunsnchalupas
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AxlIsGod. said:

I've really enjoyed the reunion years, and have never really expected new music so that side of things hasn't been a letdown to me. Imo we should have moved on straight after CD dropped and just done the reunion then but hey ho, at least we got it in this lifetime.

If you said you liked Guns N' Roses to anybody below the age of 60, they would laugh at you and make fun of Axl. I was involved in bands and had a lot of teenage friends who played in bands. Nobody liked Axl or Guns N' Roses. As a contrarian, I almost enjoyed that. It made NuGNR feel like my thing. Still, by 2006 they were incredibly uncool. 

I went to a NuGNR show in 2010 or so, and was in General Admission. I think I was the youngest guy there. It was all drunk 50 year olds trying to relive the 1980s. There is a reason that the CD material was met with such apathy live at that time. While there was a small group of hardcores like myself who were just as much CD Era fans as Old Guns fans, 99 percent of the people in the arena did not know or care about the CD material. They were only there because it was the closest thing to seeing a big band from the 80s, and they were able to get a babysitter that night. 

There was a renewed level of interest in classic rock during the early 2000s. It is a big reason why Contraband and the Greatest Hits did so well. After the aborted tour/release in 2001 or so, Axl's brand was far too tarnished. They had a dichotomy where things associated with the classic GNR act were considered cool, but Axl and NuGNR was considered counterfeit and lame. He was pushed in a corner marketing wise where releasing CD should have been impossible. It probably was impossible up until the business model changed with CDs industry wide, and the opportunity existed for business-to-business type transactions to make money on music like Wal-Mart exclusive albums. I would guess that without the Best Buy (or an equivalent) deal, CD never comes out. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah I loved it all. Saw some amazing shows, had a great time, saw some incredible musicians, made some amazing memories, slept on park benches, at bus stations, all that stuff. 

All part of the chaos and fun of being a GNR fan so long. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

New GnR was a magical era until 2007. The line up changes killed it..With Bucket and then Robin gone the “new” version of Guns n Roses lost its soul. The botched release of CD was poetically the beginning of the end instead of the rebirth it was intended to be. I attended two shows of the “DJ Ashba era” it was a a shell of the bands I  had seen in 2002 and 2006. 

Edited by chester
  • Like 2