New lengthy interview with Duff (Stereogum) + radio interview on Eddie Trunk

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

I think that could have only made things worse though. It created expectations and demands which ultimately led to disappointment. We were never supposed to hear any of that, and had we not, the end result might not have only been more pleasing, but different altogether.

I saw a video recently about an Eminem album that got leaked, and that forced a number of changes to the record itself, its promotion, and a few other things. The leaks ruined everything because they were not supposed to be heard at that time.

So yeah, we're all happy we heard stuff and are still hearing stuff, but it may well have changed the course of all of this. The respect goes both ways: as fans we want our support to be rewarded with new material, but as artists they'll expect us to get what we're given when it's ready. Without the leaks, Axl and the label might not have shit their pants and we could very well be on the fourth album of the 21st century by now rather than the second. Just speculation, of course. We'll never actually know.

Well, each to their own, however I prefer expectations than (almost) complete radio silent. Hey, you do you 

Edit. Also on the assertion that the leaks and us consuming them may have altered the path and our experience negatively....ok, sure. That is possible and probable...

But you name me one major band that hasn't had leaks, outtakes, boots of unreleased, etc etc. GNR are far from alone, you mentioned Eminem as an example already. The difference is, the other acts still have released plenty of official product despite these setbacks and inconveniences... 

At this point, I truly believe, the desire for material (and lack there of) has actual fueled the will to find these sorta things waaay beyond what it would be, if they were album every 4 years band....my 2 💵

Edited by colonizedmind
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Duff interviewed by his daughter, Grace:

you can tell he carefully considers what he can and cannot say about GNR

and say nothing :bitchfight:

Edited by DeNfr
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Rovim said:

Andrew Watt's whole thing is that he kinda fits anywhere if the band/musicians he works for are open enough for him to work with them. He's kinda like Rick Rubin in a way, only musically more gifted but the main thing about these people is that they seem to know how to get good results when it comes to the material itself. less so the sound of it.

don't know if Axl's personality is compatible enough with a guy like Andrew Watt. Duff is nothing like Axl it seems. If Axl wants to make a new Gn'R album and for it to sound as Gn'R as possible, I'm sure he's aware of what Clink can do for him in a Gn'R context, but we don't even know which approach Axl wants to take if any when it comes to releasing new material or any material for that matter and what his specific goal is which should influence what kind of producer you're going to choose to make your album. Axl doesn't strike me as someone whos top priority is for the process of making an album to be quick and to the point like Duff seems to want.

still. seems like Andrew Watt is capable of bringing something fresh to the table with a lot of classic bands/musicians but I don't care for how most of the records he's involved with sound like. Same way I feel about Rick Rubin, only he doesn't really have technical abilities as a producer/engineer and these guys are more about bringing a new approach so it doesn't sound stale or getting back to what worked for the artist in the past, kind of a back to basics approach and writing a lot of tunes to choose from.

Andrew worked out well with RS and PJ because he's a huge fan of both bands and knows all their old material. I'm not sure he would work as well with GnR. In any case they need to want to do a new album and Axl needs to be willing to do it without Caram.

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Andrew worked out well with RS and PJ because he's a huge fan of both bands and knows all their old material. I'm not sure he would work as well with GnR. In any case they need to want to do a new album and Axl needs to be willing to do it without Caram.

Axl and Caram need to be far away from mixing/production and hand it over to a pro.

The other problem is Axl needs to be open enough to hear someones own opinion when they say this songs not good enough or this parts wrong. Hear real feedback about the songs. His surrounded himself with yes man and thats half the problem.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Watt seems to be a pretty big fan of Slash when they worked on Ozzy's album. do we know that he's not a big Gn'R fan? from latest interviews with Slash and Duff it seems like they are attempting to put something together or progress when it comes to new music.

I wouldn't say no to new material with a producer I don't like, but a producer/engineer could be like the man with the ideas more than a great technician of sound and sometimes that shapes the album in a positive way. I think my personal pick for a producer when it comes to a new Gn'R record would still be Mike Clink mainly cause I miss the way he recorded Gn'R tunes and the chemistry he seems to share with the band makes trying to work with him at least worth a shot imo.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Watt seems to be a pretty big fan of Slash when they worked on Ozzy's album. do we know that he's not a big Gn'R fan?

He also toured with Slash a decade ago.

Not sure how we decided he isn't a GN'R fan, it's safe to assume he probably is

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Yep and performed with eachother about a year ago. Slash/duff would not have a issue with him. Its more Axl.

Edited by vloors

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Well first steps were booting him out for "Perhaps", right? That happened to much acclaim, only to walk it back in December

11 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

As far as we know, Axl does not work with Caram anymore.

The General and the other CD leftovers were apparently produced before the collaboration with Caram ended.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

He may be a fan but I don't think he's a huge fan like he claims to be of RS and PJ. Either way I think they have other things to sort out first before they get around to choosing a producer.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

As far as we know, Axl does not work with Caram anymore.

The General and the other CD leftovers were apparently produced before the collaboration with Caram ended.

Perhaps seems to have the best production out of all of the CD2 official releases. I was upset to hear how poor The General is from a production standpoint. It's significantly louder than the former, even on the CD single.

If they all get put on an EP or album togerher with other songs, "new" and maybe actual new songs. They should remix and master them all together.