Matt Sorum says Slash didn't want to play with Carrie Underwood at Lemmy's birthday party

1 minute ago, DoMw94 said:

In fairness Matt apparently did get a call to be a guest, but it was to be unpaid...

I mean, duh. Why would you get paid to play one or two songs with a band you're not in or didn't found?

Yea, same as Gilby and likely Izzy... I think they offered to cover his travel and hotel, but that's basically it. Who could've guessed Steven would be the only one to take their offer... :lol:

That was 8 years ago though. Anything beyond a token guest appearance went out the window when he talked all that shit in his book. Slash and Duff have distanced themselves, and Axl already wanted nothing to do with him... it's bizarre seeing people hold out hope for Matt or Gilby appearances in the future.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

He was great in GNR and his work with Snakepit and VR was even better. I don’t question this. But he acts like a jealous moron at times.

Yes, he definitely gives off some drama queen vibes at times. At the very least, he seems to be aware of the oddities of Team Brazil, and I'm sure Slash and Duff are too, at least behind closed doors. Former housekeeper and her creepy as fuck sexual predator (allegedly, but let's be honest not surprising if true) son managing one of the biggest rock bands in the world, and name it after the country they are from. Fucking can't write shit half as ridiculous. You know bands and professional management teams of bands in the same tier as Guns probably think it's a huge joke. But, they gave us the reunion (would have happened anyways), the NITL selects (lol), and 4 half-baked horribly produced (except for Perhaps, minus Slash's solo, and the editing of that in, JFC) 20+ year old singles that will never sound as good as they were after being "completed" by the members who originally created them. 

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong @Blackstar but I believe the last time Matt, Duff, and Slash (and Gilby) played GnR songs on stage together was July 2015 (Kings of Chaos). I don't think Coachella and all that was fully in place yet. The Slash and Axl dinner wasn't until October right? By December Slash and Duff knew that 2016 would be all GnR and there was already lots of online chatter about who the drummer would be. 

Yes, that's accurate.

• Like 2

I'm curious what Axl's thoughts on Matt are as of now, I've heard several times that he is the reason that Matt was not in the reunion because Axl doesn't like him, but is there anything solid that shows that? I thought the last time they spoke they were on decent terms, other than the uncensored version of Matt's book that we never got a comment on. Obviously Frank was going nowhere, but if Axl was willing for Steven to play some, I don't think it's that far fetched that Matt could have been asked in that same capacity, and I'm not sure I buy he was asked for an unpaid position for a couple of songs. What are Slash and Duff's thoughts on him, it seems he caused some friction in VR too and that they wanted as little to do with him as Axl. I think his not being included was a unanimous group decision, and for all we know was the right one to make. I like his work and don't have strong feelings either way and he has a right to complain/vent, but it doesn't help his case any. 

That being said, I wish he would leave Carrie Underwood out of the drama fest that is the band lol, she's too nice to be dragged into this and he's coming across as very bitter towards Slash that is rivaling Axl from back in the day if that's possible :lol: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeNfr said:

they keep distancing themselves from him because they let him down when a reunion was in the move.
I understand Axl doesn't like him that much, mainly because Matt wasn't afraid to say to him straight to
his face when he thought he was wrong, when the other guys cowardly stepped back.

musically 85% of the fans think he's a better fit than Frank and that's what I think too, too bad
there's not much chemistry with Axl. but yeah, I can see why he said Duff's attitude and Slash was a let down.

That's one way to look at it... Or you can go by the ex PR people, managers etc. that have described what he was like and you can look at how many lead singers he's fallen out with to work out that he is not the easiest guy to get along with and he is not satisfied just being in a band be has to be up front. 

Fantastic drummer but obviously once fame hit, he forgot about how to play nice with others. 

I have full respect for him standing up to Axl (if his account is accurate). I just don't think Slash/Duff wanted him in gnr for the reunion even if they weren't bowled over by Frank initially.

End of the day the player the gets the job done and doesn't cause any grief is always going to get the call over the other person, especially in this instance where Frank had been in the band for 9/10yrs at that point. They go to Frank "Stevens going to play the AFD material" he's not going to throw a fit, if they said that to Matt you just know he'd be stewing! Even though he was out there for years saying "get me and Steven".

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

No Matt would've been ok with that, there would still be plenty of songs left for him to play.

How do you know? 😄 I haven't seen anything from Matt in recent years to suggest he would have been ok, it's possible but he absolutely would not have been ok being paid the same as Richard, Dizzy, Melissa as he views himself closer to a Slash/Duff in terms of $$$

6 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Didnt axl and matt make up in 2006? They had that night out together in new york and matt said they had a great time and cleared the air. So i dont think axl hates matt, as much as he's loyal to frank

They did have that night out in NY in 2006, but Matt later said it was good only because both he and Axl were drunk and talked some shit about Axl again (saying he was jealous of VR etc), and then Axl made some disparaging comments about Matt's drumming on UYI.

But yeah, I don't think Axl hates Matt. Matt was invited to guest at GN'R shows and I doubt that would have happened if Axl hated him.

• Like 2

Anyone have that awkward video, just after slash n duff were announced, that had paparazzi asking Matf about it?  He awkwardly tried to wave them off and shoosh them cause I think at that time he was still hoping Slash/Duff would denand him on drums or it was right after Duff told him they already signed on without him.  Cringe-level was high 😂 

13 minutes ago, trev said:

Anyone have that awkward video, just after slash n duff were announced, that had paparazzi asking Matf about it?  He awkwardly tried to wave them off and shoosh them cause I think at that time he was still hoping Slash/Duff would denand him on drums or it was right after Duff told him they already signed on without him.  Cringe-level was high 😂 

I guess you mean this one:

https://ovp.tmz.com/video/c8/o/2022/09/14/c87b998df0324e37b18aeb5f2072fa66.mp4

9 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Didnt axl and matt make up in 2006? They had that night out together in new york and matt said they had a great time and cleared the air. So i dont think axl hates matt, as much as he's loyal to frank

Going out drinking for a night seems lot more tolerable than dealing with Matt for a full tour, or in this case several tours...

Pretty sure the last time Axl mentioned him (indirectly) was late 2011: https://www.latimes.com/archives/blogs/pop-hiss/story/2011-12-21/axl-rose-talks-playing-the-forum-hall-of-fame-gig-reunion

All these managers, they know one thing. They know that they can at least ... sell a reunion tour and get their commission. It’s just a phone call. It’s a half a day’s ... work, or however long they want to keep the bidding war going. They get their commission and they don’t care if it falls on its face.

Because, really, you can get guys from the ‘Illusion’ thing, but the only thing that would make it would be Duff and Slash, really. It’s nothing against Izzy and it’s nothing against Steven, or anything like that. Steven may want it, but these guys I’m working with right now, they work really hard and it’s hard work. I’ve toured with the other guys and I’ve also seen what they’ve done since, and I just know the difficulties.

I don’t have an excitement to work with people that joined in the ‘Illusion’ time. There’s behind the scenes that was really, really difficult there with different ones. So it’s not really even a full reunion. And these guys have been here a long time, whether the public knows it or not because we haven’t done the media like that. Tommy’s been on 14 years, Richard’s going on 11. That’s as long as Duff was in the band. Chris has been in going on 11, Dizzy’s on since ‘Illusion,’ Frank’s going on six, and so’s Bumble. These guys have been here. And DJ’s going on three.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Выйти выпить на ночь кажется гораздо более терпимым, чем иметь дело с Мэттом на протяжении всего тура или, в данном случае, нескольких туров...

Почти уверен, что последний раз Эксл упоминал его (косвенно) в конце 2011 года: https://www.latimes.com/archives/blogs/pop-hiss/story/2011-12-21/axl-rose-talks-playing-the -форум-зал-оф-славы-концерт-воссоединение

Все эти менеджеры знают одно. Они знают, что могут, по крайней мере... продать тур по воссоединению и получить свои комиссионные. Это просто телефонный звонок. Это полдня... работы, или сколько бы они ни хотели продолжать войну предложений. Они получают свои комиссионные, и их не волнует, если они упадут на лицо.

Потому что, на самом деле, из «Иллюзии» можно найти парней, но на самом деле единственными, кто мог бы это сделать, были бы Дафф и Слэш. Это не имеет ничего против Иззи и ничего против Стивена или чего-то в этом роде. Стивен, возможно, этого и хочет, но ребята, с которыми я сейчас работаю, работают очень усердно, и это тяжелая работа. Я гастролировал с другими ребятами, а также видел, что они сделали с тех пор, и просто знаю трудности.

У меня нет желания работать с людьми, которые присоединились во времена «Иллюзий». Там за кулисами было очень-очень сложно с разными. Так что это даже не полноценное воссоединение. И эти ребята были здесь уже долгое время, знает об этом публика или нет, потому что мы не делали ничего подобного со СМИ. Томми играет уже 14 лет, Ричарду уже 11. Это с тех пор, как Дафф был в группе. Крис участвует в 11-м, Диззи - со времен "Иллюзии", Фрэнк - в шестом, и Бамбл тоже. Эти ребята были здесь. И диджей идет на три.

In an interview, Izzy said that Axl doesn't need money, and the reunion will only happen if Axl goes broke. If Axl is such a good-natured guy, why are his arguments so cowardly (" illusion" thing, he and this one have been playing in a group for a hundred years, it's hard work, etc.) and then they run away from him and Slash and Duff turn out to be in the group and gnr turns into a cold-blooded calculating machine. Everything is calculated to the cent, who should be paid how much, who should be invited to the show, who should be refused, and all for reasons of saving money so as not to pay extra people. So who really runs this business? It seems to me that it's not Axl at all, but someone standing behind him and inspiring him with these crazy ideas as a result of which he destroyed his legacy. Axl Rose seems to have given this band to someone to manage, and has become a puppet in someone's greedy hands.

18 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Fantastic drummer but obviously once fame hit, he forgot about how to play nice with others. 

how can you buy this narrative when the guy basically worked with as much different musicians as Slash? 

first, if you "can't play nice with others", there's one universal rule: you don't tour (in the band) with Motorhead. this band had zero tolerance for dickheads.

Edited by DeNfr

31 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

how can you buy this narrative when the guy basically worked with as much different musicians as Slash? 

first, if you "can't play nice with others", there's one universal rule: you don't tour (in the band) with Motorhead. this band had zero tolerance for dickheads.

Alternative take: if he played nice he'd stay put in one spot 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

How do you know? 😄 I haven't seen anything from Matt in recent years to suggest he would have been ok, it's possible but he absolutely would not have been ok being paid the same as Richard, Dizzy, Melissa as he views himself closer to a Slash/Duff in terms of $$$

Idk about the pay but he's on good terms with Steven, he would have no problem sharing the show with him. 

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

Idk about the pay but he's on good terms with Steven, he would have no problem sharing the show with him. 

That's true, but Matt switches pretty quick and it's usually down to money.

If a lot of hurdles were hopped I think Matt could play ball with all of them. He would need to have changed a lot though. 

3 hours ago, DeNfr said:

😄 

He thought it was like a badge of honour, cool points to play with Motorhead and he wanted Lemmy the think he was rock n roll. He also spent a few weeks with them, he didn't spend years with Motorhead to show his spots.

And he's not going to be a douche in every situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

😄

He thought it was like a badge of honour, cool points to play with Motorhead and he wanted Lemmy the think he was rock n roll. He also spent a few weeks with them, he didn't spend years with Motorhead to show his spots.

It's probably comparable to Axl/DC - it was an honour, but he knew his place and was as professional as possible.

Matt has no doubt made plenty of high profile connections, and there's no denying his skill, but at the same time he's built a certain reputation... :shrugs:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Alternative take: if he played nice he'd stay put in one spot 🤷‍♂️

he did in The Cult for example, he quit. he wasn't meant to be a permanent member of Motorhead.

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

😄

That's a lot of stuff you pull out of your ass without proof, I mean, assomptions, pardon my french I'm french :bitchfight:

From Matt Sorum re: bumping into Axl in 2006.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

“Then last night I went to a club called 6 and 8s. While getting out of the cab I run into Sean Lennon who was leaving and when inside there was AXL ROSE. Oh my God.

“I hadn't seen him in at least 6 years.
 I walked over and said Hello.
 We shook hands.
 And it was pleasant. 
Later that evening I ended up in a loft somewhere in the East Village.
 Where Axl was again. 
We spoke for quite sometime. And it was nice to clear somethings up.
 I told him how great of a frontman he was while I was in the band and no hard feelings from me at all.
It was an all around
Good vibe I think.

After the party ended. Axl gave me a
 ride back to my hotel
 in his Suburban.”

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

Here’s some more from Matt’s book (pre-release draft). He comes across as bitter and entitled, and probably doesn’t realize it. It’s obvious as the reunion plans were moving forward, and not everything was set in stone, Slash and Duff probably didn’t wanna tell Matt too much because he has a big mouth. 

(Except starts now.)

“Duff, what’s going on?” I said.

“Well, Axl wants to use his drummer,” he said. “But the guy can’t even play the drums. I’ve gotta talk to Axl and say I really can’t play with this guy.”

“Wait! Back up!” I said. “What do you mean you don’t think he’s very good? And you can’t fucking tell Axl? That would be the first thing I’d say if I was the bass player and you were the drummer. Why do you think I asked you to play in the Vampires? Because you’re my favorite bass player.”

“Come on, man.”

“No. . . . Go to Axl and tell him you want me on drums. Period. Now’s the time.”

“Oh, man,” Duff said, his voice kind of shrinking. “I already signed the deal.”
“What deal?”

But he didn’t want to say any more.

Edited by GnR Chris

Matt painted Duff as a coward in his book, but strangely never mentioned Slash in regard to communication about the GNR reunion. He claimed Duff and Slash didn’t like Frank, and that they both betrayed Matt out of fear of upsetting Axl. He also made sure to get a dig in on our favorite whipping boy, Fernando.

Matt also made it clear elsewhere in his book that he recruited Duff in Hollywood Vampires because of how loyal he is as a friend. He claimed Duff quit the Vampires without even telling him (said Duff told Johnny Depp he was out due to being back in GNR), and didn’t want to walk the red carpet with Matt during the final Vampires appearance. 

The following excerpt is over lunch after GNR tour was in full force (again from Matt’s book, pre-release):

As [Duff] sat down at the table, he said, “I don’t know why you didn’t come play with us when we called to ask.”

“We?” I said. “Why didn’t you call me yourself instead of getting your manager to do it?”

“Well, I thought that management could handle it.”

“That ten-year-old kid?”

“He’s not ten anymore,” Duff said, “he’s thirty-five.”

We sat in silence for a few minutes. Duff looked down at the table the way he always had when he felt uncomfortable or cornered. “There would’ve been money,” he eventually said.

I stared at him, at a loss for what to say. After a while, I said, “One good thing about all this is that Izzy and I started hanging out again.” As the words left my mouth, Duff got a dark look in his eye. “Fuck Izzy!” he snapped.

I knew his reaction was because of Izzy turning them down, so I calmly said, “Well . . . Izzy says fuck you too.”

Duff didn’t reply. Instead, he just poked at his food—he didn’t really seem hungry—and then checked his watch and said, “I’ve gotta go.”

“Where?” I asked.

“Rehearsal.”

“Rehearsal? Didn’t you guys just get off a three-month tour? Why are
you rehearsing?”

“Because we don’t have you on drums,” Duff said.

We got up. As we were leaving the restaurant, two guys came over to us, wanting to take photos.

Duff froze and explained that it wasn’t the right moment. I immediately knew why: he was afraid Axl would find out he had been to see me.

Out on the street, Duff awkwardly tried to hug me again, then he walked over to his car and drove away. In that moment, he felt like a complete stranger to me, like someone I didn’t know at all. But maybe I was the one who had changed, and he was the same as ever?

What I do know for sure is that our friendship wasn’t the only thing that had ended—our twenty-eight-year musical partnership was over too. I wouldn’t be able to call him or Slash and ask if they wanted to play with me. The GNR machine had taken them back. I knew I wouldn’t be able to rely on those guys any longer. For the first time, I felt completely on my own.

Edited by GnR Chris

Wait up. Why's Matt talking as if Hollywood Vampires was his band or he had any sway in it? He was never anything there, always a hired hand/touring member. He didn't even appear on the first album – that was Alice Cooper's drummer Glen Sobel, who plays with them now, and since played on the second record too.

Hollywood Vampires is Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Johnny Depp – and later Tommy Henriksen. Given that the drummer these days is Alice Cooper's and the keyboard player is Aerosmith's (and the only one was Johnny Depp's mate), it's safe to say Alice Cooper and Joe Perry call the shots, not Matt Sorum 😂

• Like 2