Matt Sorum says Slash didn't want to play with Carrie Underwood at Lemmy's birthday party

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

“We?” I said. “Why didn’t you call me yourself instead of getting your manager to do it?”
“Well, I thought that management could handle it.”

We got up. As we were leaving the restaurant, two guys came over to us, wanting to take photos.
Duff froze and explained that it wasn’t the right moment. I immediately knew why: he was afraid Axl would find out he had been to see me.irst time, I felt completely on my own.

the punk way :headbang:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Wait up. Why's Matt talking as if Hollywood Vampires was his band or he had any sway in it? He was never anything there, always a hired hand/touring member. He didn't even appear on the first album – that was Alice Cooper's drummer Glen Sobel, who plays with them now, and since played on the second record too.

Hollywood Vampires is Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Johnny Depp – and later Tommy Henriksen. Given that the drummer these days is Alice Cooper's and the keyboard player is Aerosmith's (and the only one was Johnny Depp's mate), it's safe to say Alice Cooper and Joe Perry call the shots, not Matt Sorum 😂

More from the unreleased version of his book:

A few weeks later, the Hollywood Vampires were booked to perform a tribute to Lemmy at the Grammy Awards. I assumed we would arrive together, but during rehearsals I found out that we weren’t going to be walking the red carpet as a band.

I called the Hollywood Vampires’ comanager, Trudy Green—a British woman with a posh accent—and asked whether there had been some kind of misunderstanding.

“Oh no, darling,” she said—which, from a Brit, means Fuck you! —“it’s the three principal figures walking together; besides, Duff didn’t want to walk with them.”

“So . . . Duff doesn’t wanna walk the red carpet with the band?”

I called him right away.

“Dude. . . . We should walk with Alice, Joe, and Johnny as a band.” But, to my surprise, he said, “Oh no, man. I’m cool, man. I’m gonna walk with my wife and daughter.”

I still didn’t understand, so I said, “Come on, dude. . . . Come on.” “Nah. . . . It’s OK.”
He was giving me really bad vibes, but I said nothing, just like I said nothing when my wife, Ace, and I saw him at the Grammys.

Trudy and I had already argued about the way we were going to be introduced. She only wanted Alice, Joe, and Johnny to be mentioned by name before we went out onstage.

That’s why, when I spotted Dave Grohl, I told him all about it. He frowned and said, “I got you, bro.”

Not long after that, I heard him reading from the script, introducing me and Duff: “And now, for the first time on TV, joined by Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan, let’s hear it for Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Johnny Depp —the Hollywood Vampires.”
We played both “Ace of Spades,” in tribute to Lemmy, and “As Bad as I Am,” written by Johnny Depp.

After we finished, Johnny came over to me. “Duff’s quit the band.”

“What?!”

I didn’t want to believe it. Above all, I couldn’t believe that Duff had told Johnny instead of me, and then snuck out the back door without saying good-bye.

As if to throw salt in the wound, Trudy Green came over to me and told me something else Duff hadn’t had the balls to say. “You understand,” she said, smiling like she was actually enjoying the situation, “Duff told me a few days ago that the reason he didn’t want to walk the red carpet with you is that he has another band now—his old one.”

“Really?” I said, deploying my best poker face as a whole load of unpleasant feelings rushed through me.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Wow 1

33 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

the punk way :headbang:

The vibe from Matt's book is that he went out of his way to paint Duff and Slash in a negative light, and paint himself as this great friend to the both of them. Later, he says Duff called him and asked why he didn't accept the offer to come play with GNR. And Sorum asked him why Duff didn't call himself to make the offer.  Who knows if that timeline is correct. But regardless, it isn't like Matt couldn't call Duff and be, like, "what the hell is this offer?"

This is just one butthurt person's account. Does Matt have a right to feel betrayed by Duff and Slash? Maybe in some ways, if they were withholding info when he'd ask about it. But then the other side of it is, GNR isn't Matt's business. He was a replacement player all those years back. He doesn't have a right to be upset that he isn't asked back full time, and he looks petty disparaging Frank.

Also, I am certain (without having any actual knowledge obviously), that during the run-up to the actual Coachella announcement before the ink was dry on the contracts, the band didn't know what the Slash/Duff return would entail, who exactly would all be involved, how long it would go, etc. They were working it all out, feeling each other out ... I mean, Pitman was reportedly still in till his drunken tirade. lol Nobody was getting fired just to bring back an former member.

If I recall correctly, I think Duff and Slash may have demanded Pitman get kicked to the curb for the shit-talking he did. That came from an inside source at the time, but I could be misremembering a little. So Matt saying Axl had called all the shots and Slash/Duff were afraid to upset him ... no. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

I 100% agree with everything Pitman said, time seems to have sided with him as well, as far as what they have done, aside from a handful of single he probably would cringe to hearing seeing how he probably helped assemble some sonically superior CD-era mixes of the same songs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I 100% agree with everything Pitman said, time seems to have sided with him as well, as far as what they have done, aside from a handful of single he probably would cringe to hearing seeing how he probably helped assemble some sonically superior CD-era mixes of the same songs.

"this is a nostalgia tour, please dont mention those who are there the last 20 fkg years.,,, oh god no! ...(a money grab) FU."

You agree with this? I think the only thing I agree with is it ended up being a nostalgia tour. Melissa has been featured as much if not more than Pitman ever was. I think he just didn't like the changing dynamics of the band. In other words, he wouldn't have been answering to just Axl anymore. It isn't like to that point GNR (prior to Slash/Duff returning), they were releasing a bunch of new music. Pitman still stuck around.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

More from the unreleased version of his book:

A few weeks later, the Hollywood Vampires were booked to perform a tribute to Lemmy at the Grammy Awards. I assumed we would arrive together, but during rehearsals I found out that we weren’t going to be walking the red carpet as a band.

I called the Hollywood Vampires’ comanager, Trudy Green—a British woman with a posh accent—and asked whether there had been some kind of misunderstanding.

“Oh no, darling,” she said—which, from a Brit, means Fuck you! —“it’s the three principal figures walking together; besides, Duff didn’t want to walk with them.”

“So . . . Duff doesn’t wanna walk the red carpet with the band?”

I called him right away.

“Dude. . . . We should walk with Alice, Joe, and Johnny as a band.” But, to my surprise, he said, “Oh no, man. I’m cool, man. I’m gonna walk with my wife and daughter.”

I still didn’t understand, so I said, “Come on, dude. . . . Come on.” “Nah. . . . It’s OK.”
He was giving me really bad vibes, but I said nothing, just like I said nothing when my wife, Ace, and I saw him at the Grammys.

Trudy and I had already argued about the way we were going to be introduced. She only wanted Alice, Joe, and Johnny to be mentioned by name before we went out onstage.

That’s why, when I spotted Dave Grohl, I told him all about it. He frowned and said, “I got you, bro.”

Not long after that, I heard him reading from the script, introducing me and Duff: “And now, for the first time on TV, joined by Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan, let’s hear it for Alice Cooper, Joe Perry, and Johnny Depp —the Hollywood Vampires.”
We played both “Ace of Spades,” in tribute to Lemmy, and “As Bad as I Am,” written by Johnny Depp.

After we finished, Johnny came over to me. “Duff’s quit the band.”

“What?!”

I didn’t want to believe it. Above all, I couldn’t believe that Duff had told Johnny instead of me, and then snuck out the back door without saying good-bye.

As if to throw salt in the wound, Trudy Green came over to me and told me something else Duff hadn’t had the balls to say. “You understand,” she said, smiling like she was actually enjoying the situation, “Duff told me a few days ago that the reason he didn’t want to walk the red carpet with you is that he has another band now—his old one.”

“Really?” I said, deploying my best poker face as a whole load of unpleasant feelings rushed through me.

Sooooo... he wasn't 'in' the band, was never 'in' that band, was straight up told he wasn't 'in' the band, and still kicked off?! 😂

This guy... 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Matt thinks he’s more important than he really was. He’s an awesome drummer but he never was the main band member that he suggested to be.

Which is why I still laugh at how he acted in the VR documentary and duff pulled him up and him being a dick to some singer they brought in.

matt and his opinions on GNR and the some of the current members remind me of superstar billy Graham and the WWF/WWE and how he’d flip flop of loving and hating them and loving them depending on if he needed something or not.

People seem to forget, the current Guns N' Roses lineup is the longest-serving in the band's history. They have stability in what is famously an extremely volatile environment.

Why on earth is it worth risking any of that to bring back Matt? The one guy out of everyone who's in the band who is more likely to cause trouble than any other...

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

"this is a nostalgia tour, please dont mention those who are there the last 20 fkg years.,,, oh god no! ...(a money grab) FU."

You agree with this? I think the only thing I agree with is it ended up being a nostalgia tour. Melissa has been featured as much if not more than Pitman ever was. I think he just didn't like the changing dynamics of the band. In other words, he wouldn't have been answering to just Axl anymore. It isn't like to that point GNR (prior to Slash/Duff returning), they were releasing a bunch of new music. Pitman still stuck around.

Yes, I do, though the "FU" part was a bit harsh. How was NITL not a nostalgia tour? It doesn't mean it's a bad thing, it's just not what he envisioned as the future of Guns, which he had been a part of for a very long time by that point and I'm sure was frustrated that a completed or nearly completed CD2 would have to be heavily modified to include work from Slash and Duff or shelved in part or whole. And "a money grab"? Absolutely! Who doesn't like money, I get that. It is what it is.  A lot of their success is riding the waves they made in the '80s and '90s. They missed the handful of opportunities to reinvent themselves when Bucket and Robin were there, and later with Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba (surprise), and so they went with plan D, which is what we have had since 2016.

In short, it's more of a brand than a band. This started during the later part of the CD-era.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Matt thinks he’s more important than he really was. He’s an awesome drummer but he never was the main band member that he suggested to be.

that's probably why he has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as a GNR member. 

oh, wait 

48 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

People seem to forget, the current Guns N' Roses lineup is the longest-serving in the band's history. They have stability in what is famously an extremely volatile environment.

Why on earth is it worth risking any of that to bring back Matt? The one guy out of everyone who's in the band who is more likely to cause trouble than any other...

Time vs recognition.

Albums vs singles?

Naahh . Matt is the guy on drums. Nobody cares FF. Nobody KNOWS FF. Nobody knows a song made by FF.

Etc etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

The vibe from Matt's book is that he went out of his way to paint Duff and Slash in a negative light, and paint himself as this great friend to the both of them. Later, he says Duff called him and asked why he didn't accept the offer to come play with GNR. And Sorum asked him why Duff didn't call himself to make the offer.  Who knows if that timeline is correct. But regardless, it isn't like Matt couldn't call Duff and be, like, "what the hell is this offer?"

This is just one butthurt person's account. Does Matt have a right to feel betrayed by Duff and Slash? Maybe in some ways, if they were withholding info when he'd ask about it. But then the other side of it is, GNR isn't Matt's business. He was a replacement player all those years back. He doesn't have a right to be upset that he isn't asked back full time, and he looks petty disparaging Frank.

Also, I am certain (without having any actual knowledge obviously), that during the run-up to the actual Coachella announcement before the ink was dry on the contracts, the band didn't know what the Slash/Duff return would entail, who exactly would all be involved, how long it would go, etc. They were working it all out, feeling each other out ... I mean, Pitman was reportedly still in till his drunken tirade. lol Nobody was getting fired just to bring back an former member.

If I recall correctly, I think Duff and Slash may have demanded Pitman get kicked to the curb for the shit-talking he did. That came from an inside source at the time, but I could be misremembering a little. So Matt saying Axl had called all the shots and Slash/Duff were afraid to upset him ... no. 

I've read the book when it leaked, so it was the same draft. I found it to be direct and honest on a lot of things,
so I suppose it is on all subjects, cant' see why he would lie, and yes it was a bit bitter on this particular subject,
and I understand why from his perspective. 

a lot of you forgot about Velvet Revolver, they created that band together, it created a bond that maybe
didn't even exist between them in GNR. they were adults, and they made it again, sort of. 

and yes, Axl calls *all* the shots in the band since the break up of the original band and the creation of GNR II. 
Matt is not in the band because *he* didn't want him back, which must be respected of course.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

that's probably why he has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as a GNR member. 

oh, wait 

He was inducted because he was involved in one of the bands most successful periods. And he was musically important up to a certain level. But he still wasn’t more than a hired hand and on the bands pay roll. He always acts as he is equal to the main members but truth is he isn’t. If you think otherwise I don’t care. 

RNRHOF inductee, like Dizzy but nothing more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

Stability only happens in a cemetery. Gnr are in a state of decline and even backwardness. They don't follow new trends in music, don't engage in self-development in music, we don't see the results of their creative work. Touring has become a business, not a showcase for new material. There are no pockets in the funeral suit. Their stability is just as destructive as their feud

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

Matt is not in the band because *he* didn't want him back, which must be respected of course.

And Pitman isn't in the band because Duff and Slash didn't want him in the band. So where does that leave your theory that Axl calls all the shots?

I mean, if we're just out here making baseless assumptions without knowing the actualities.

Edited by GnR Chris

1 hour ago, axlvai said:

Time vs recognition.

Albums vs singles?

Naahh . Matt is the guy on drums. Nobody cares FF. Nobody KNOWS FF. Nobody knows a song made by FF.

Etc etc

Ask anyone on the street who Matt Sorum is. They wouldn't know him either. GN'R is Axl and Slash, Duff if you're lucky. The band's gone through drummers like Spinal Tap. They're not faces of the band, nobody's looking at them in the same way.

45 minutes ago, lunastar said:

Stability only happens in a cemetery. Gnr are in a state of decline and even backwardness. They don't follow new trends in music, don't engage in self-development in music, we don't see the results of their creative work. Touring has become a business, not a showcase for new material. There are no pockets in the funeral suit. Their stability is just as destructive as their feud

Soooooooo they're like every single other rock band out there? This band gets too much flack from its fanbase for doing most of what everyone else is doing: touring, living off past glories, and playing the same type of music they always do

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

a lot of you forgot about Velvet Revolver, they created that band together, it created a bond that maybe
didn't even exist between them in GNR. they were adults, and they made it again, sort of. 

and yes, Axl calls *all* the shots in the band since the break up of the original band and the creation of GNR II. 

According to Arlett Vereecke, part of the reason Matt is not in the reunion is his shenanigans in Velvet Revolver.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Ask anyone on the street who Matt Sorum is. They wouldn't know him either. GN'R is Axl and Slash, Duff if you're lucky. The band's gone through drummers like Spinal Tap. They're not faces of the band, nobody's looking at them in the same way.

Soooooooo they're like every single other rock band out there? This band gets too much flack from its fanbase for doing most of what everyone else is doing: touring, living off past glories, and playing the same type of music they always do

Joe "Mama" Besser

19 hours ago, DeNfr said:

he did in The Cult for example, he quit. he wasn't meant to be a permanent member of Motorhead.

That's a lot of stuff you pull out of your ass without proof, I mean, assomptions, pardon my french I'm french :bitchfight:

Well he said as much in interviews afterwards.

On 6/11/2024 at 1:28 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

It's probably comparable to Axl/DC - it was an honour, but he knew his place and was as professional as possible.

Matt has no doubt made plenty of high profile connections, and there's no denying his skill, but at the same time he's built a certain reputation... :shrugs:

Exactly. That's what I was trying to point out. He wouldn't have said to Lemmy "thanks for the gig but if I'm not on the poster and equally in frame to you I'm not interested". I mean this stuff isn't concrete evidence but it did sound like he was pulling that kind of shit in VR at least according to that publicist... But maybe she just didn't like him for some other unrelated reason

Great drummer no doubt about that. And for the most part I liked him in gnr