Matt Sorum says Slash didn't want to play with Carrie Underwood at Lemmy's birthday party

7 hours ago, axlvai said:

Time vs recognition.

Albums vs singles?

Naahh . Matt is the guy on drums. Nobody cares FF. Nobody KNOWS FF. Nobody knows a song made by FF.

Etc etc

And people know songs made by Matt Sorum?  Honestly Steven is the only drummer I think we can make a case for being the one anyone would know - and that is purely because he is forever the dude known for getting kicked out of a drug-laden band for being too drug-laden

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Ask anyone on the street who Matt Sorum is. They wouldn't know him either. GN'R is Axl and Slash, Duff if you're lucky. The band's gone through drummers like Spinal Tap. They're not faces of the band, nobody's looking at them in the same way.

But show some picture. Most of ppl dont know a name of any band member.

Ask anyone on the street who Matt Sorum is. They wouldn't know him either. GN'R is Axl and Slash, Duff if you're lucky. The band's gone through drummers like Spinal Tap. They're not faces of the band, nobody's looking at them in the same way.

Put a pic of FF....... is nobody.

47 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Exactly. That's what I was trying to point out. He wouldn't have said to Lemmy "thanks for the gig but if I'm not on the poster and equally in frame to you I'm not interested". I mean this stuff isn't concrete evidence but it did sound like he was pulling that kind of shit in VR at least according to that publicist... But maybe she just didn't like him for some other unrelated reason

Great drummer no doubt about that. And for the most part I liked him in gnr

Remember, he tried to sell (in his book?) he left Snakepit because Slash engaged a singer without consulting him. Ignoring the fact he was part of the video shooting afterwards.

• Haha 1

Heres a little snippet of VR dramas unfolding. Again Matt airing out the dirty laundry to the public.

"[We] had a little band turmoil on stage, as you probably all could tell," he wrote. "Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes, you just don't get along. I guess there has been more [article id="1575643"]turmoil lately[/article], with the cancellations and all. It has been frustrating; I am not going to lie. My career and life in rock and roll has come with its ups and downs. Unfortunately, some people in this business don't realize how great of a life they have. Touring the world, meeting great people, and fans all over the world -- and just playing music for a living. I feel truly blessed. But sometimes the road can be draining for some.

"Being away from home and family does grind on you sometimes," Sorum continued. "Personally, I love this sh-- and sometimes can't believe I am so lucky to still be doing what I do for a living. Everybody could see who was unhappy [at the Glasgow show], but all I can say is let's keep the rock alive, people. In this life, you just pick up and keep moving. And don't ever let anybody stand in your way."

Perhaps it wasn't the clarification Velvet Revolver fans were hoping for, but Sorum's blog post did inspire Weiland to issue his own, slightly vicious statement on the matter.

"The state of my family affairs is really none of [Sorum's] business, since he is too immature to have a real relationship, let alone children," Weiland said, in a statement issued to Blabbermouth.net. "So don't attempt to stand in a man's shoes when you haven't walked his path. I've made many attempts to remain cordial with the members of VR, but mainly, the likes of you. Funny though -- this is your first band, as opposed to being a hired gun. I've been making records (now, on my ninth), which have sold over 35 million copies worldwide and have maintained a level of professionalism regardless of how many drugs I've ingested into my system. I have only cancelled one tour during the entire course of my 16-year run and that was the 'make-up' Australia tour. Now, shall I open that can of worms, Matthew? Release the Kraken? Serve ... volley! You cancelled the Aussie tour in the fall because you went to rehab, but I won't say why."

Again, Weiland didn't exactly come right out and say "Velvet Revolver are no more" in his statement, but he did stop short of that admission. "I will sweat, bruise, and bleed for you," he continued, directing his words to the band's fans. "[I] will continue to do so until the end of this tour. However, you deserve to hear Velvet Revolver playing ... not certain individuals singing along to get a muddied-up sound. It's a shame ... we were a gang. But ego and jealousy can get the better of anyone. I wish the best and plan to annihilate the stage in the last few shows."

Edited by vloors
  • GNFNR 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, vloors said:

Heres a little snippet of VR dramas unfolding. Again Matt airing out the dirty laundry to the media.

"[We] had a little band turmoil on stage, as you probably all could tell," he wrote. "Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes, you just don't get along. I guess there has been more [article id="1575643"]turmoil lately[/article], with the cancellations and all. It has been frustrating; I am not going to lie. My career and life in rock and roll has come with its ups and downs. Unfortunately, some people in this business don't realize how great of a life they have. Touring the world, meeting great people, and fans all over the world -- and just playing music for a living. I feel truly blessed. But sometimes the road can be draining for some.

"Being away from home and family does grind on you sometimes," Sorum continued. "Personally, I love this sh-- and sometimes can't believe I am so lucky to still be doing what I do for a living. Everybody could see who was unhappy [at the Glasgow show], but all I can say is let's keep the rock alive, people. In this life, you just pick up and keep moving. And don't ever let anybody stand in your way."

Perhaps it wasn't the clarification Velvet Revolver fans were hoping for, but Sorum's blog post did inspire Weiland to issue his own, slightly vicious statement on the matter.

"The state of my family affairs is really none of [Sorum's] business, since he is too immature to have a real relationship, let alone children," Weiland said, in a statement issued to Blabbermouth.net. "So don't attempt to stand in a man's shoes when you haven't walked his path. I've made many attempts to remain cordial with the members of VR, but mainly, the likes of you. Funny though -- this is your first band, as opposed to being a hired gun. I've been making records (now, on my ninth), which have sold over 35 million copies worldwide and have maintained a level of professionalism regardless of how many drugs I've ingested into my system. I have only cancelled one tour during the entire course of my 16-year run and that was the 'make-up' Australia tour. Now, shall I open that can of worms, Matthew? Release the Kraken? Serve ... volley! You cancelled the Aussie tour in the fall because you went to rehab, but I won't say why."

Again, Weiland didn't exactly come right out and say "Velvet Revolver are no more" in his statement, but he did stop short of that admission. "I will sweat, bruise, and bleed for you," he continued, directing his words to the band's fans. "[I] will continue to do so until the end of this tour. However, you deserve to hear Velvet Revolver playing ... not certain individuals singing along to get a muddied-up sound. It's a shame ... we were a gang. But ego and jealousy can get the better of anyone. I wish the best and plan to annihilate the stage in the last few shows."

Do you have the link to this?

12 hours ago, axlvai said:

You're highlighting what I'm saying. If people don't care about Frank or any other band member (who's not Axl or Slash), they won't care about Matt either. In trying to disagree with me, you've actually agreed with me and proved my point.

And thanks for telling me three times, the message got through 😉

Edited by DoMw94

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

According to Arlett Vereecke, part of the reason Matt is not in the reunion is his shenanigans in Velvet Revolver.

it was a roller coaster situation, mainly with Scott, but I don't see why VR would have had an impact on GNR line up, especially if the chemistry with Frank wasn't there. plus Matt proved to be a great asset in the songwriting department with Set Me Free, which was a nice way to launch the band.

I think the main reason was Frank's loyalty to Axl and vice versa, plus a balance between forces in the "reunited" band.
Matt would have been a (loud) voice to support Slash & Duff if the reunion didn't go well...call that politics if you want...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

I think the main reason was Frank's loyalty to Axl and vice versa, plus a balance between forces in the "reunited" band.
Matt would have been a (loud) voice to support Slash & Duff if the reunion didn't go well...call that politics if you want...

This seems like the most plausible scenario.

Matt's drumming would've been more exciting, but he could've also derailed the whole thing with his ego. I completely understand why Slash and Duff didn't push him to be involved. It's their and Axl's band and their legacy. They should get to enjoy their victory lap.

13 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

Immediately afterward, I said:  mean, if we're just out here making baseless assumptions without knowing the actualities.

yeah, but what I said is not an assumptionMatt is not in GNR because Axl didn't want him, that's a fact.

so, I don't see your point here.

9 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

yeah, but what I said is not an assumptionMatt is not in GNR because Axl didn't want him, that's a fact.

so, I don't see your point here.

No that’s your assumption. It could be that the three of them didn’t want him in the band.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

No that’s your assumption. It could be that the three of them didn’t want him in the band.

I really doubt Duff would have dinner or doing anything else at the time with Matt if it was the case.
and saying things like he had a hard time to play with Frank and needed to rehearse.

about Slash, who knows, but there is nothing to indicate that he chose Frank over Matt.

and they'd still invite him to to play at a one time gig? to do what? mocking him?
"hey, we don't want to play with you anymore, but here you are, playing two songs on this show haha" 
doesn't make any sense.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

I really doubt Duff would have dinner or doing anything else at the time with Matt if it was the case.
and saying things like he had a hard time to play with Frank and needed to rehearse.

about Slash, who knows, but there is nothing to indicate that he chose Frank over Matt.

and they'd still invite him to to play at a one time gig? to do what? mocking him?
"hey, we don't want to play with you anymore, but here you are, playing two songs on this show haha" 
doesn't make any sense.

But inviting someone for one or two gigs isn’t the same as having him in your band constantly, especially when you know he’s difficult to work with. It’s not like they didn’t want him because he a bad musician. Matt answered every question in his book. Slash and Duff obviously deal rather with Franks drumming than racking their brains with Matt. Of course Axl doesn’t want him either in GNR. 

Matt wasn’t involved in Slash nor in SMKC. It’s not like Slash stopped working with him in 2016 when he joined GNR again.

And it’s not like he’s afraid of working with Matt now just to not piss Axl off, like Matt’s always assuming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeNfr said:

Matt is not in GNR because Axl didn't want him, that's a fact.

That isn't a fact. That is an assumption on your part. There's no actual confirmation of this.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Matt wasn’t involved in Slash

And without meaning to stir the pot, Duff, Izzy, and Steven all were... 👀

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

47 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

That isn't a fact. That is an assumption on your part. There's no actual confirmation of this.

No, that is a fact : it's Axl's band, and he picks the musicians.
He clearly decided to stick with Frank, and Slash and Duff had no say in the matter, as the result clearly demonstrate.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

But inviting someone for one or two gigs isn’t the same as having him in your band constantly, especially when you know he’s difficult to work with. It’s not like they didn’t want him because he a bad musician. Matt answered every question in his book. Slash and Duff obviously deal rather with Franks drumming than racking their brains with Matt. Of course Axl doesn’t want him either in GNR. 

interesting, that video proves Slash has no animosity towards Matt, thx.

23 minutes ago, DeNfr said:

No, that is a fact : it's Axl's band, and he picks the musicians.
He clearly decided to stick with Frank, and Slash and Duff had no say in the matter, as the result clearly demonstrate.

Are you Axl? We're you there? No. You're assuming.

Assumption: a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof.

You have no proof.

• Like 2