Matt Sorum says Slash didn't want to play with Carrie Underwood at Lemmy's birthday party

On 6/10/2024 at 4:27 PM, lunastar said:

In an interview, Izzy said that Axl doesn't need money, and the reunion will only happen if Axl goes broke.

—-haha I could literally hear Izzy saying this. Prob true. NuGNR wasn’t making a lot of money. Smaller rooms = smaller guarantees. Still more than most of us will ever see, but not as high as you would think.

Everything is calculated to the cent, who should be paid how much, who should be invited to the show, who should be refused, and all for reasons of saving money so as not to pay extra people.

——- GNR in its current mode (NITL) travels with something like 30+ busses and 20 trucks. TB had TWO fucking busses on the last tour. They are a bloated operation that wastes a lot of money. Still makes more money than most of us will ever see but they are made fun of by industry people because they ALWAYS bring “extra people” which bloats show costs and expenses. You gotta feed all those people (per diems AND 3 meals + post show meal for each) and have a hotel room (some double up, but most have single rooms)

So who really runs this business? It seems to me that it's not Axl at all, but someone standing behind him and inspiring him with these crazy ideas as a result of which he destroyed his legacy. Axl Rose seems to have given this band to someone to manage, and has become a puppet in someone's greedy hands.

——- TB runs the show. It’s gross. But that’s a cold, hard, sad fact.

I like this well formed comment and gave some thoughts above as well! No idea how to properly break down and quote each section so I hope yall understand the mess!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Are you Axl? We're you there? No. You're assuming.

Assumption: a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof.

You have no proof.

no need to be Axl to know he's the one who choose the musicians of his band.

7 hours ago, DeNfr said:

interesting, that video proves Slash has no animosity towards Matt, thx.

No that just proves he is ok with doing one off things but obviously isn’t ok with anything more. But since you aren’t here for reading/understanding other people’s arguments I’m not further interested in this conversation. No need to response 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Free Bird said:

And obviously didn’t want Matt. :shrugs:

Why would he want Matt when he didn't ask any other ex-members (including Snakepit etc) to be in his solo band? He purposely looked for new different people.

3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Why would he want Matt when he didn't ask any other ex-members (including Snakepit etc) to be in his solo band? He purposely looked for new different people.

It’s just an evidence more. He stopped working with Matt prior to the Conspirators. @DoMw94 pointed already out that many GNR members contributed to SLASH. Matt obviously wasn’t asked.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It’s just an evidence more. He stopped working with Matt prior to the Conspirators. @DoMw94 pointed already out that many GNR members contributed to SLASH. Matt obviously wasn’t asked.

Dizzy and Gilby aren't on that album either; I think you're reading into Matt's exclusion too much. Slash still did Kings of Chaos shows with Matt through 2015, I think if there was a problem then he wouldn't have done those either.

12 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Dizzy and Gilby aren't on that album either; I think you're reading into Matt's exclusion too much. Slash still did Kings of Chaos shows with Matt through 2015, I think if there was a problem then he wouldn't have done those either.

Dizzy was still in Guns N' Roses at the time, so that was never going to happen, and Gilby was only really ever a hired hand, never a key member of the group. The situations aren't really comparable

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Again, it’s only my impression from the timeline. One offs aren’t the same as being together in a band. But I wasn’t there and can’t tell for sure. All I say is that I can see why someone doesn’t feel the need to fight for Sorum as a band member  even though he’s a very gifted drummer.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Again, it’s only my impression from the timeline. One offs aren’t the same as being together in a band. But I wasn’t there and can’t tell for sure. All I say is that I can see why someone doesn’t feel the need to fight for Sorum as a band member  even though he’s a very gifted drummer.

Well we don't know if Slash and Duff fought for him or not. I remember there were rumors back then that Axl told them that getting Matt was not negotiable even though they wanted him. We don't know for sure though, but I don't think that Matt not being on the 2010 Slash album means that Slash didn't want to work with him anymore. Keep in mind that they were still all working on finding a new singer for VR, and this is when they wrote and recorded with Corey Taylor. Maybe Slash asked him to do a song and he wasn't available during that time, who knows. And it makes sense that Slash wouldn't want former GnR/Snakepit etc members in his solo band, he wanted it to stand on its own even though he was playing old material alongside the new songs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Well we don't know if Slash and Duff fought for him or not. I remember there were rumors back then that Axl told them that getting Matt was not negotiable even though they wanted him. We don't know for sure though, but I don't think that Matt not being on the 2010 Slash album means that Slash didn't want to work with him anymore. Keep in mind that they were still all working on finding a new singer for VR, and this is when they wrote and recorded with Corey Taylor. Maybe Slash asked him to do a song and he wasn't available during that time, who knows. And it makes sense that Slash wouldn't want former GnR/Snakepit etc members in his solo band, he wanted it to stand on its own even though he was playing old material alongside the new songs.

I agree, we don’t know. But is it that difficult to accept that it is my understanding from what happened? If you don’t agree with me, fine, but my feelings are that Slash distanced himself from Matt and not because of Axl or GNR. Period.

what is the deal with bunch of you bein g someone' advocate?

are you their mom or dad?

I love the fact that someone ACTUALLY goes and tells us stuff that is not all roses instead of hanging out their ass, like 90% of this forum goers.

and yes...Slash is my fav member and Sorum my fav drummer of this band.

what is the deal with 'booooohh he goes around pissing people off'!? why would truth piss people off.

Thanks to the people like Matt who tells us what is going on behind the scene. Amen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frankfurt93 said:

I love the fact that someone ACTUALLY goes and tells us stuff that is not all roses instead of hanging out their ass, like 90% of this forum goers.

what is the deal with 'booooohh he goes around pissing people off'!? why would truth piss people off.

Thanks to the people like Matt who tells us what is going on behind the scene. Amen!

It's not so much what he says, it's how he says it.

Matt giving it the whole 'Call Axl and tell him' wasn't all that cool.

It doesn't come across well, and him demanding to Duff to be back in the band when there was no spot for him left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. Duff and Slash didn't demand to come back, it just happened organically, and they have more of a right to be there than anyone.

Edited by DoMw94
  • Like 3

On 6/13/2024 at 11:00 PM, Free Bird said:

I agree, we don’t know. But is it that difficult to accept that it is my understanding from what happened? If you don’t agree with me, fine, but my feelings are that Slash distanced himself from Matt and not because of Axl or GNR. Period.

Also odd that in Sorum's own book, he mentioned meeting and speaking with Duff several times, asking him if it was true about GNR reuniting. But he never mentioned any communication with Slash. I know Duff and Sorum were probably in communication more often at the time due to their involvement in the Hollywood Vampires. But if he and Slash are so tight-knit, why didn't he ever ask him about GNR? Or if he did, why omit it from the book but paint Duff as the only one who was avoiding him?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Did you read his book? He comes across as immature and pompous, and those are his own words. Or ghostwritten words he signed off on. "Call Axl and tell him" (paraphrasing). As if Sorum has some right to be in GNR over a drummer who is already in the band and has been in the band for several years. Also, if anyone was gonna be asked back first, in a guest capacity, it'd be Adler, right? Sorum is, like, the last person in line.

7 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

That's what I've been saying, he tells it like it is.

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Also odd that in Sorum's own book, he mentioned meeting and speaking with Duff several times, asking him if it was true about GNR reuniting. But he never mentioned any communication with Slash. I know Duff and Sorum were probably in communication more often at the time due to their involvement in the Hollywood Vampires. But if he and Slash are so tight-knit, why didn't he ever ask him about GNR? Or if he did, why omit it from the book but paint Duff as the only one who was avoiding him?

Matt and Duff were best friends, Duff was in his wedding. He was seeing Duff a lot more so that's probably why he was asking him.

Personally I don't blame him for saying to Duff "call Axl and tell him." I can fully understand what he was feeling and why he said that, plus that's just how he is. He's not necessarily the diplomatic type like Duff. He was hoping that as his friend Duff would advocate for him but it didn't happen. 

Edited by MaskingApathy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's what I've been saying, he tells it like it is.

Matt and Duff were best friends, Duff was in his wedding. He was seeing Duff a lot more so that's probably why he was asking him.

Personally I don't blame him for saying to Duff "call Axl and tell him." I can fully understand what he was feeling and why he said that, plus that's just how he his. He's not necessarily the diplomatic type like Duff. He was hoping that as his friend Duff would advocate for him but it didn't happen. 

are we going to pretend that Sorum is a classy guy now? there was no spot available for a drummer in Axl's Gn'R. I don't think Axl would even go with Matt if he needed a drummer after Axl's comments on the drums in UYI, and that he got over excited when Matt first joined Gn'R cause he could really play I guess in comparison to Adler when it comes to the technique of it.

Matt seems like an entitled douche and it's not like it's just one thing. His book and some of his interviews makes him look like a cunt.

personally I think he's a great drummer and I find him funny in a silly way, but a class act he's not. He expected Duff to advocate for him after all the shit that went down with him and Axl. I'd say he also was a bit deluded if he thought there was actually a chance for him to come back to the fold.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

are we going to pretend that Sorum is a classy guy now? there was no spot available for a drummer in Axl's Gn'R. I don't think Axl would even go with Matt if he needed a drummer after Axl's comments on the drums in UYI, and that he got over excited when Matt first joined Gn'R cause he could really play I guess in comparison to Adler when it comes to the technique of it.

Matt seems like an entitled douche and it's not like it's just one thing. His book and some of his interviews makes him look like a cunt.

personally I think he's a great drummer and I find him funny in a silly way, but a class act he's not. He expected Duff to advocate for him after all the shit that went down with him and Axl. I'd say he also was a bit deluded if he thought there was actually a chance for him to come back to the fold.

No one's saying that he's a classy guy, even Matt himself would tell you that he's not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

No one's saying that he's a classy guy, even Matt himself would tell you that he's not. 

there's a difference between telling it like it is and not knowing when to keep your mouth shut or talking shit and expecting everyone to give you what you think is owed to you after you said and did whatever you wanted to, basically when there was no position for you to fill in the first place and then writing about it in your autobiography is I think was my point.

he even talked shit in the media after burying the hatchet with Axl years ago if I'm not mistaken and now the shit with talking about Slash not wanting to perform with Carrie Underwood is another little jab for no good reason imo. he seems to always have a need to feed his inflated ego and he's not above making Slash and Duff look bad.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Personally I don't blame him for saying to Duff "call Axl and tell him." I can fully understand what he was feeling and why he said that, plus that's just how he is. He's not necessarily the diplomatic type like Duff. He was hoping that as his friend Duff would advocate for him but it didn't happen. 

But there wasn't a drummer vacancy in GNR. Why should Duff call Axl and demand for him to fire Frank? Why would Sorum even ask that of his friend?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

But there wasn't a drummer vacancy in GNR. Why should Duff call Axl and demand for him to fire Frank? Why would Sorum even ask that of his friend?

I understand your point, that’s a total dick move to do that to Frank. But if Izzy really was supposed to be a part of the reunion, I assume he was to replace Richard so it appears that Axl was open to moving on from more of NuGuns. In that case, both Frank and Richard would probably have continued with whatever other projects they have like the Psychadelic Furs. In fact, wasn’t they already in the works until the Izzy thing didn’t work out?