Deep lyrics and statements

username

I've been thinking about this a bit....and I'm curious which bands you think have the most deep and meaningfull lyrics. Cryptical lyrics, hidden messages, songs that make you think. Songs that make a statement. Songs that you KNOW are meant to do more then just entertain you. And please explain WHY you think that band's lyrics are so meaningfull. For example AC/DC is one of my favorite rock bands, but still it's way more straight forward. Nothing cryptical. No huge statements to the world or important messages put in albums. So...let's name some bands that DO have that. And I'm not talking about balleds that make you think of an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend, but REAL statements.

As for me...

Pink Floyd - Any explenation needed at all? The weird psychadelic stuff, the brilliant concept albums, these guys didn't write a single note without it having a deep meaning to it.

Roger Waters - Same as the Floyd. Radio KAOS, Amused To Death, The Pros And Cons of Hitch Hiking... They all just tell a story. Makes a statement. He's more political solo. Also more conceptual.

Guns n' Roses - Well..the UYI albums have them. A lot of songs there are the typical Axl-styled cryptical songs. The more epic songs. I think Magagascar also has this. AFD had good stuff as well, but it was way more straight forward. Not the deep stuff.

Syd Barrett - Original Floyd guitarist. A poetic genious. Very hard to understand though, and very psychadelic.

Queen - Actually mostly the Made In Heaven album imo. It makes you think about life, death... Freddy knew he was about to die when recording it. His emotions are perfectly in the album, and to me the're is nothing like it.

U2 - How could anybody NOT mention U2 when talking about making (political) statements and giving opinions about what's happening in the world trough your music?

John Lennon - When he went solo he became more and more opinionated in his music. Political references, comment about the world, his message of peace and love. A genious like no other.

Rage Against The Machine - Explains itself. Very anti-american-goverment. Very anti-political.

I'll leave the rest up to you. Discuss! :)

I've been thinking about this a bit....and I'm curious which bands you think have the most deep and meaningfull lyrics. Cryptical lyrics, hidden messages, songs that make you think. Songs that make a statement. Songs that you KNOW are meant to do more then just entertain you. And please explain WHY you think that band's lyrics are so meaningfull. For example AC/DC is one of my favorite rock bands, but still it's way more straight forward. Nothing cryptical. No huge statements to the world or important messages put in albums. So...let's name some bands that DO have that. And I'm not talking about balleds that make you think of an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend, but REAL statements.

As for me...

Pink Floyd - Any explenation needed at all? The weird psychadelic stuff, the brilliant concept albums, these guys didn't write a single note without it having a deep meaning to it.

Roger Waters - Same as the Floyd. Radio KAOS, Amused To Death, The Pros And Cons of Hitch Hiking... They all just tell a story. Makes a statement. He's more political solo. Also more conceptual.

Guns n' Roses - Well..the UYI albums have them. A lot of songs there are the typical Axl-styled cryptical songs. The more epic songs. I think Magagascar also has this. AFD had good stuff as well, but it was way more straight forward. Not the deep stuff.

Syd Barrett - Original Floyd guitarist. A poetic genious. Very hard to understand though, and very psychadelic.

Queen - Actually mostly the Made In Heaven album imo. It makes you think about life, death... Freddy knew he was about to die when recording it. His emotions are perfectly in the album, and to me the're is nothing like it.

U2 - How could anybody NOT mention U2 when talking about making (political) statements and giving opinions about what's happening in the world trough your music?

John Lennon - When he went solo he became more and more opinionated in his music. Political references, comment about the world, his message of peace and love. A genious like no other.

Rage Against The Machine - Explains itself. Very anti-american-goverment. Very anti-political.

I'll leave the rest up to you. Discuss! :)

dude,

I got nothing left to say :cry:

I totally agree with you

Probably the badn with the deepest lyrics is U2, that's why I love them so much B)

You guys are funny sometimes. i mean I like Motey Crue and Skid Row but how are the lyrics really that deep? Even Guns N' Roses lyrics aren't overly deep. I guess it all depends on what you consider deep. Oh well.

In this life like weeds you're just a rock to me

You're just a rock to me, you're just a rock to me

I could have told you all that I love you

And in the places you go, you'll see the place where you're from

But in the faces you meet, you'll see the place where you'll die

And on the day that you die you'll see the people you met

And in the faces you see, you'll see just who you've been

I wish I could have told you I love you

In this life like weeds eyes need us to see

Hearts need us to bleed

In this life like weeds you're a rock to me

I know where you're from

But where do you belong?

In this life like weeds you're the good I breed

I know where you're from

But where do you belong?

In this life like weeds eyes need us to see

Hearts need us to bleed

In this life like weeds you're the good I breed

All this talking all the time of the year

fills up until there's nothing left to breathe

And you think you feel most everything

And you know that our hearts are just made out of strings

to be pulled

Strings to be pulled

So you think you've figured out everything

But we know that our hearts are just made out of strings

to be pulled

Strings to be pulled

All this talking all the time, and the air

fills up until there's nothing left to breathe

Up until there's nothing left to speak

Up into the better parts of space

they'd call it a wasteland

auslander plates

you know its armor was human

drove stakes into the main camps

eyesockets sank into

the back of its head again

this frequency was jet lagged

yes the wrinkles mate

was the owner's manual

frequent flyers in denial

and all the while

emergency is evident

revenants were the statues

radar learning of huddles masses

sutured all the patience

of this nursing home

emitted from the pages

of this burial ground

labor concentrated

in this sheepless chapel

they call it a wasteland

i'm just tired of counting bodies

is this mausoleum tardy

let's just paint you a pretty face

flies dip tongues into tear ducts

in toothpicks fought unborn

contusion is hungry

they still eat their young

proto-culture null and void

all veins in highway laps

this breath collapsed again

this hex was delivered spent

orchestra influenza

drawn and quartered pets

it dwells and grows

this is the pocket-sized edition

rapid sleep through benediction

let's just paint you a pretty face

museums mark their bodies down

and the tenants found

all the distance in their prefix

contusion is hungry

they still eat their young

proto-culture null and void

fever bliss into central nervousness

i was bitten on the entrance

Already here now already done

Combine and collapse Dancing with none

White is for "so dumb" Blue is for "numb"

Yellow the streaks on their backs

They all step in line I'm just a rug...

Under the foot prints of strangers

All I need all I know

This one's for Jimmy and two more for me

It's something you sell to your self

It absolves you of your role

Accidental... Pardoned the repeat offenders toll

They missed the last week's wake It's cold

Find yourself here now Dance the collapse

Those aging children they all know the steps

I'm just a bug Under the rug Under the reap Absent

Under the gray Under the grief Absent

Under the myth Under the meek Absent

Under courage Under caring Absent

Understudy Understudy Absent

Understudy Understudy Absent

The Beatles - I'am The Walrus

Sage Francis - Makeshift Patriot

Insane Clown Posse - Terrible

New York Dolls / Guns N' Roses - Human Being

The White Stripes - The Union Forever

Radiohead - Exit Music (For A Film)

Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire

Eminem - Mosh

The Axl Rose Band - Madagascar and The Blues

John Lennon (The Beatles, solo artist): do I need to explain why? He's the music 'God', nobody comes close to him. Check songs like 'Gimme Some Truth', 'Imagine' , 'God' and you'll see why he's a genius.

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden, Temple of The Dog, Audioslave, solo artist): easily the most underrated songwriter ever. As Chris said once he tries to create lyrical environments where you can escape to and he's damn right!. He creates songs in a way that you are able to find a meaning in your own way.

George Harrison (The Beatles, solo artist): also a very underrated songwriter. Most of his songshave a very deep meaning.

Greg Graffin (Bad Religion): writes about politics, social problems and stuff. The lyrics of 'Shattered Faith' are amazing.

Kurt Cobain: most people are too stupid and they don't get his lyrics. Polly, All Apologies, Serve the Servants are masterpieces.

18 and life - skid row

i remember you - skid row

therer are many more but ive just been thinking about these songs

:wacko:

they are great ones, there are lots more, there are plenty of GnR ones, err a couple from Tone Loc, the Eagles have a few, Phil Collins has lots, there are many

:monkey: