Green Day Vs U2

GnRmaniac

Which Band Do You Like Better?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand and respect that U2 have had a huge and very long career. Green Day can't compete with that. Also Bono and the other guys are known worldwide and they're in the public spotlight a lot more. They have done great albums in the past.

But: As nice and as classy the Jashua Tree is and as much as I like Achtung Baby, I just prefer to listen to Green Day. Many of the U2 songs are nice to listen to, but they're kinda boring (to me). I like the faster kinda rock/punk that Green Day play. I also think that both leadsingers have great voices who fit perfectly for their bands songs, but I can't say that one of them has a better voice (they're both no Placido Domingos).

Green Day rocks a lot harder than U2 and that is the kinda music I like better. ;)

Comparing them is a joke. U2 by a million miles.

American Idiot is currently outselling How to dismantle...

U2 have many years on green day, given all this, maybe its not such a joke after all? i do like U2 but i think they reached their peak about 14 years ago, there are some nice tunes on their new album, like 'Sometimes...' but come on, does it really compare to stuff like 'One'? they've had their day, man. Green day, on the other hand, are only just reaching their peak, American idiot is absolutely huge and has taken the band to another level, perhaps this comparison is not so ridiculous as it would first seem to be.

U2 have many years on green day, given all this, maybe its not such a joke after all? i do like U2 but i think they reached their peak about 14 years ago, there are some nice tunes on their new album, like 'Sometimes...' but come on, does it really compare to stuff like 'One'? they've had their day, man. Green day, on the other hand, are only just reaching their peak, American idiot is absolutely huge and has taken the band to another level, perhaps this comparison is not so ridiculous as it would first seem to be.

One album does not make a band. Green Day is thorugh away pop/punk music. Name me the classics they have? They don't really have any classics to tell you the truth. The have a few nice pop/punk tunes here and there but that's it. On the flip side U2 is litered with them. Seriously comparing these two band is like comparing Good Charlotte to Pearl Jam. American Idiot may be selling better but do you really think that the damand to see Green Day live is anywhere near as huge as the demand to see U2 live. It's not even close. Seriously man. Do you honestly think Green Day is as highly regarded in the music world as U2 is? U2 is legendary and they are without a doubt the biggest band in the world. Can you possible see U2 opening for Green Day? Hell no but it wouldn't be so far fetched for Green Day to open for U2. Hell Oasis and No Doubt have opened for U2. I don't see Green Day embarking on a completey sold out North America(Arena) and European(stadium) tour. And to insinuate that U2 have "had their time" and that Green Day are just coming into their own, implying that Green Day has the potential to surpass U2 and their career achievments is ridiculous. Like I said when it comes down to it comparing these two is a joke. :kiss:

I think its really a joke to compare both bands.

One of them is a legendary Rock band that usually appears in best band of all times lists while the other is a modern punk band with soem success on a music era which is dominated by rap, cheesy nu-metal and punk bands.

I don't really care if Bono wants to become Mother Teresa to help and save the world or not...I just focus on the amazing music he's made throughout the years with his band and still makes.

this is like comparing Blink 182 with GnR :monkey:

One album does not make a band. Green Day is thorugh away pop/punk music. Name me the classics they have? They don't really have any classics to tell you the truth. The have a few nice pop/punk tunes here and there but that's it. On the flip side U2 is litered with them. Seriously comparing these two band is like comparing Good Charlotte to Pearl Jam. American Idiot may be selling better but do you really think that the damand to see Green Day live is anywhere near as huge as the demand to see U2 live. It's not even close. Seriously man. Do you honestly think Green Day is as highly regarded in the music world as U2 is? U2 is legendary and they are without a doubt the biggest band in the world. Can you possible see U2 opening for Green Day? Hell no but it wouldn't be so far fetched for Green Day to open for U2. Hell Oasis and No Doubt have opened for U2. I don't see Green Day embarking on a completey sold out North America(Arena) and European(stadium) tour. And to insinuate that U2 have "had their time" and that Green Day are just coming into their own, implying that Green Day has the potential to surpass U2 and their career achievments is ridiculous. Like I said when it comes down to it comparing these two is a joke. :kiss:

I think we do agree on some things, Green day will never be looked upon the same way as U2 because of their early years/roots, its the whole 'punk' tag that does it, the world does not want to see a punk band succeed and make it as one of the biggest, and that stems from this country back in the 70's and the sex pistols, in the music world, thats just not credible. Im sure that green day would be the first to scoff at being compared to U2 as i know its a band they really look up to, so comparing them from a world music view, yes it is ridiculous. However, in what context are we comparing them? the question, as i understood it, was down to personal preference and judging from the posts, its about the same, isnt it? and to call green day throwaway is getting a little old, theyve had all them accusatiuons thrown at them 10 years ago and they'd been going for 7 years back then, and im sorry but as much as a classic 'Beautiful Day' may be, 'Basket Case' has stood the test of time just as well, and is 'Time Of Your Life' NOT a classic? and what chance 'Boulevard Of Broken Dreams' doesnt go down as a classic in years to come also? if Green Day are forever to be looked upon as throwaway despite producing singles like these, then its just as easy to accuse U2, for all their depth and fantastic back catalogue, of being boring and riding on past glories. I think its best to just to say they're very different other than state your personal preference.

Make this poll again in 20 years and I promise you that U2 will destroy Green Day. I don't even remember Green Day's stuff after it comes on the radio 5 minutes ago, it's hopelessly shitty. U2, on the other hand, has created some stuff I really like, Mysterious Ways is my favorite song and Achtung Baby is my favorite album (even though I'm still not sure how to pronounce it).

i wanna see how long american idiot actually lasts and is remembered..u2's stuff is still good and new people are discovering it all the time...that's like the usher songs that were popular 4 years ago..nobody remembers them..just while they had their spotlight... :krider:

Good point. I knew about Green Day years ago and didn't care they existed but I started listening to U2 like last month and I'm on the verge of aquiring a few CDs already.

Please stop this foolishness before you make Bono's head explode!!!

Why the heck would you argue that "Time of My Life" is a classic?!?! It's a classic in the same way that Motley Crue's "Change" is a classic; both were written to be played at graduations. It represents, to me, a song that destroys any credibility that the band had.

Billy Joe is not a good singer. He sounds like he has a cold. Granted, punk singers are not supposed to be good singers, but that is why there will never be a mainstream acceptable classic punk band. It has nothing to do with a bias against punk and everything to do with most punk bands' lack of talent.

i wanna see how long american idiot actually lasts and is remembered..u2's stuff is still good and new people are discovering it all the time...that's like the usher songs that were popular 4 years ago..nobody remembers them..just while they had their spotlight... :krider:

Whether you love or hate a song like basket case, you remember it, and its ELEVEN years old, so i guess that pisses on your chips, doesnt it?! :P

Please stop this foolishness before you make Bono's head explode!!!

Why the heck would you argue that "Time of My Life" is a classic?!?! It's a classic in the same way that Motley Crue's "Change" is a classic; both were written to be played at graduations. It represents, to me, a song that destroys any credibility that the band had.

Billy Joe is not a good singer. He sounds like he has a cold. Granted, punk singers are not supposed to be good singers, but that is why there will never be a mainstream acceptable classic punk band. It has nothing to do with a bias against punk and everything to do with most punk bands' lack of talent.

Why the heck would i argue its a classic? i dunno, ask the makers of Seinfield when they used it the at the end of their last show of the series, ask ITV why they used it when England got knocked out of the 98 world cup, just to name a couple of examples here, it is a classic in the sense that it is a simple bittersweet love song that stands the test of time, whats wrong with that? why the hell would it lower any bands credibility when they are in fact showing they can do more than just rock out? How do you define classic? does it have to be monstrous in the sense of U2 or Pink Floyd, or November Rain? or can it also be just a really good song, Basket Case is a really simple 3 chord ditty but it is also brilliant in the same way Teenage Kicks by The Undertones is, and please dont tell me that's not a classic. I personally think it can be either, you dont always HAVE to go for huge epic tunes with clever chord changes or several sections, sometimes just a really good memorable hook works just as well.