Modern Music

cantrell&vai

I cann't get into anyband around at the moment, or any band from the last 10 years because they are so bad. Modern music at the moment is terrible, it's all bland (barely) musiccians who all sound the same and can barely play guitar. What happened to killer riffs, killer guitar solos, vocals etc..? Has that died?

Seriously, i've been playing Guitar for about a year, and even i'd say i'm a better musician then any modern crappy band. It's as if they learned to play for abit, then stopped. It's all bland, and here are some examples...

Keane

Franz Ferdinand

WTF? How are they rock?

What happened to bands like Led Zeppelin, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Van Halen?

The only modern band I listen to know is VR, but does that even count as they've already been around for 20 years?

At what point do any of your comments fit into GUNS N ROSES - DISCUSSION & NEWS

Use Anything Goes, then go into My World.

I agree, music is pretty poor just now, but having said that there is some good stuff out there, you've just to look for it, there is another thread similar to this Here

R.

IMO, lack of emphasis on lead guitar. A lot of bands now have two guys playing the same chords. I think there is too much emphasis on making the lyrics more meaningful, but this too many times result in stupid lyrics that are difficult to understand. Younger people may think differently, but growing up in the late 80s and 90's, I developed an interest in bands that had great guitar players. Until Green Day, Nirvana, etc. released hit songs, having a guitar player who couldn't really play was a liability. Good guitar didn't completely leave us when the 80s bands became unpopular, many of the bands that were considered to be "alternative" in the early 90s had decent guitarists that probably grew up idolizing the same guys that Slash did.

IMO, lack of emphasis on lead guitar. A lot of bands now have two guys playing the same chords. I think there is too much emphasis on making the lyrics more meaningful, but this too many times result in stupid lyrics that are difficult to understand. Younger people may think differently, but growing up in the late 80s and 90's, I developed an interest in bands that had great guitar players. Until Green Day, Nirvana, etc. released hit songs, having a guitar player who couldn't really play was a liability. Good guitar didn't completely leave us when the 80s bands became unpopular, many of the bands that were considered to be "alternative" in the early 90s had decent guitarists that probably grew up idolizing the same guys that Slash did.

I totally agree with you.

Modern bands I really like, and are more or less famous:

The Sheer

Flogging Molly

Travis

Coldplay

Keane

In all honesty...a band does not have to "rock" to be an amzing band.

Those bands all suck except for Flogging Molly which is basically just a drunk Irish gimmick band. And there are VERY few bands that suck as much as coldplay

Why does modern rock music suck today? iT DOESN'T HAVE THAT EDGE IT USED TO HAVE. Its because the bands are basically about as trendy as a bunch of frat boys. Most are a bunch of visor(my god do I hate those things) wearing, two earring wearing prettyboy pussies who are all worried about public opinion, or are using a gimmick to get over. Who gives a fuck. Their music lacks the basic 'Fuck the world" message that rock almost has to have to survive. Without that, rock music is about as bad as pop, rap, and the rest of that trendy shit.

I do also hate alot of the new bands around because of some of these reasons. Nothing important or major or any difference about them. Sure you have the rare DARKNESS and VELVETREVOLVER but honestly thats about it. It is all about the lyrics now as Outtagetme said before. What I listen to/for mostly in a song is riffs, melody, solos, anything like that. I dont actually FOCUS on the lyrics at all.

:krider:

I blame it strictly on the decline of guitar solos.

You ever notice that the really kick ass music that we all hear from GNR to Zeppelin to Queen and ACDC all had the greatest guitar solos?

Without them the song becomes nothing, just a bunch of verses and choruses thrown together.

But then again being a lead guitarist, maybe I'm just biased...

but it may be the common thread between why it rocked back then and why it sucks now.

the reason it seems to suck, is because we are comparing it to the mighty GNR, of course nothing could possibly live up.

Oh you lie. You lie. That's just the funniest thing I've ever read

Look past the mainstream and you'll uncover some talent hidden behind those metaphorical rocks.

there are good bands out there..just got back from an authority zero concert....one of my fav bands..they are punk outta AZ, and amazing....their guitarist is pretty fucking sweet, nothing totally amazing, but can actually play and has some solos..bad religion was really good i though..Flickerstick is amazing...i suggest everyone attend a Cross canadian ragweed show..yeah they are country, but i say they are more like skynard than garth any day...and Cody Canada, their frontman/lead guitarist can play that guitar so well..they do a cover of stranglehold that just rocks...

todays music sucks because of a few things

-As it was mentioned before the decline of guitar solos and guitar players that can play more than a series of four chords throughout a song

-Again its lost all of its edge. Rock used to be a way of life not just a music genre.

music has lost all of it passion

-It has no melody. There is no transition. Most of todays music is four power chords played in different sequences throughout a song.

todays music sucks because of a few things

-As it was mentioned before the decline of guitar solos and guitar players that can play more than a series of four chords throughout a song

-Again its lost all of its edge. Rock used to be a way of life not just a music genre.

music has lost all of it passion

-It has no melody. There is no transition. Most of todays music is four power chords played in different sequences throughout a song.

Man, 100% agree.

This is why i'm learning Guitar. I'm gonna show these bitches how to ROCK!

why modern music sucks??? hmm cuz it's either rap, country or talentless good looking girls..... <_<

ps. if u are talking about modern rock- not much is mainstream and they use computers far too much and dont try to actually play the songs...and not enough emphasis on guitars too.... and they hafta sound popish prolly cuz it sells right now.

Edited by GnR lives on

Modern Radio does indeed suck. I was driving to work listening to the local Rock Radio and this was the play list i heard.

Blink 182

Jimmy Eat World

VR

G N'R

Nickle Back

Alter Bridge

Montly Crue

Franz Ferdaned.

Can you gues which bands should be on a rock station and which 5 should not.

Blink182

Jimmy Eat World

Franz Ferdinand

NIckleback

Alterbridge

Do i win? :lol:

thats exactly the way i feel, even a lot of "nu-metal" bands have both of their guitarists playing the same chords over and over, no really amazing playing