Ramones vs Sex Pistols

Gallagher Rose

Ramones vs Sex Pistols..Which is the best?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAh, killer question man! the pistols had the attitude for sure and not too much out there beats throwing on your vinyl copy of 'Never mind the bollocks' and hearing those first marching beats of 'Holidays in the sun' before it rips into that classic steve jones riff. For pure tuneage and lyrical insanity though, its the ramones, even if they started to suck towards the end, they win for me, i could hear 'blitzkrieg', 'beat on the brat' or 'sheena is a punk rocker' every day for the rest of my life and still have that same feeling the first time i heard them, absolutely awesome!

• 6 years later...
Guest Len B'stard

Difficult question but i gotta say The Sex Pistols because...its hard to explain but...as good as The Ramones were, they were ultimately derivative. That's not an insult of any kind cuz they were brilliant with it and were original in their presentation of it and as stated previously their guitar sound and what have you but...The Pistols are just like...WHAT...THE...FUCK?!?! Just frighteningly good. There was no prescedent for The Pistols. There's no band that you can look at and go "ahhh, so THATS where The Pistols were coming from" cuz they weren't coming from anywhere...cept North/West London. Amazing band, the best of all times i think, all told, changed the world, changed music, changed standards. They were just legendary, punk but not what the stereotype of punk is, they didn't have the speed aspect and they benefited because it made Steve Joneses guitar play all the more thunderous. Musically they were just incredible, such a tight little unit...and Rotten i'm not gonna go on about because if i do i might be here all night but quite frankly, again, absolutely no prescedent for that man. As a lead singer he's just...so amazing, so brilliant, no airs n graces, no fuckin...bullshit talk, just straight ahead, dealing with emotions as bare as you can, highly intelligent but never intellectual...forceful...and totally totally original, singing as he was, in his North London accent, a total desconstruction of and, in my mind, the death of the concept of the traditional lead singer. It took a lot of water under the bridge before anybody could accept a bullshittey lead singer again. Rotten set the bar so fucking high. And Cookie is just like Charlie Watts on steroids. Glen Matlock, brilliant pop bass player, listen to any of the Pistols songs, play em on accoustic and tell me there isn't some serious melodiousness there.

And a perfect image, changed society really, dyed spikey haircuts were not acceptable pre-Pistols, nowadays in newsreaders have spikey barnets. They forced society to look at itself and it didn't like what it saw and took it out on them. They are the only band i can really think of excepting The Beatles that can seriously lay claim to having changed society somewhat (obviously within the bounds of what can be achieved through popular music, i ain't saying they invented the fuckin wheel or nothing, don't get me wrong).

So yeah, i love adore and cherish The Ramones but pound for pound with The Pistols? Pfft, no band cuts it. Except maybe The Beatles, The Pistols were fucking incredible. I just don't get how some people don't see it, the naked brilliance of what they were, what they did, what they achieved the resultant effect on the world. They even changed the music industry, practically invented or lead the way for their to even be an independent music scene, the notion that there could possible be an alternative to what the mainstream presented was just not there until The Pistols happened.

There is so much in society that people think is a load of shit, so much that we accept, so much that is representative of us a generation, things like Rebecca Black and Pop Idol and fuckin...i dunno, whatevers out there thats a load of bollocks yet we just either don't care or are indifferent or...whatever y'know, those things remain, despite our finding them totally objectionable and facile and...just crap. The Pistols just came in and went fuck you, we ain't having it, you're shit, you're shit, you're shit, you're OK, i like you, you're shit, you're shit :lol: They just laid it down basically, they did and said what was need to be done and told. And they enriched the music industry for it.

There is a school of thought out there that says that a vast percentage of what was good and of artistic worth and value post the mid 70s is directly attributable to punk and by extension, the groundwork that The Pistols laid down. It's in art, its in cinema, it's in fashion, it's in music, it's in peoples attitudes to the establishment, it's a part of the very fabric of modern society.

Guest Len B'stard

Purists may look down on it because it's "in tune" or played with "good precise musicianship" or the "right tempo", but that is one kickass cover.

Excuse me, when was The Pistols version not in tune and not with precise musicianship? Y'wanna how precise it is? The words are wrong, it's your future dream is a shopping scheme not shopping scream, what the fucks a shopping scream?!?! :lol: And it's Another council tenancy not and other cunt-like tendencies. Absolute slaughter of a classic, here, rinse out your eardrums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8szRgIcYlY

Guest Len B'stard

With Megadeth you can appreciate what the song could've been. The Pistols version is just one guy screaming the same note over and over...

I presume you're talking about Johns vocals. They're what makes the song. I mean, i get that people have their pre-concieved notions of what is or isn't singing and what the High Court Lord Chancellory of Rock n Roll say is singing must be but unfortunately for them (and fortunately for the rest of us) there are certain people who don't want every damn thing to sound the same. Wa-hey, lets all have long hair and have shredding solos and try and sound like a biker after 40 Marlboros and have a bottle of Jack. I know it's easier to box and categorise and you can sleep better at night knowing you understand everything when everythings the same but hey, some people are themselves, they can't help it, they can't be anybody else and don't wanna try. It's called having a soul.

uh huh, you sir have a far more open mind.

I'm not even a Megadeth fan per say. But they have a great track record in covering other artists, starting with the Pistols cover, also with No More Mister Nice Guy, Paranoid, Never Say Die, These Boots Are Made For Walking, they've acquited themselves admirably in covering other people's stuff. Their only stumble in that regard would probably be Out On The Tiles...

Edited by moreblack

uh huh, you sir have a far more open mind.

I'm not even a Megadeth fan per say. But they have a great track record in covering other artists, starting with the Pistols cover, also with No More Mister Nice Guy, Paranoid, Never Say Die, These Boots Are Made For Walking, they've acquited themselves admirably in covering other people's stuff. Their only stumble in that regard would probably be Out On The Tiles...

Sex Pistols rank up there with Alice Cooper,Sabbath,Zeppelin as influential artists on Megadeth..wow..awesome!