What's the story behind the title 'Madagascar'?

Such an amazing cut, but the title doesn't click with me... What's it mean? The imagry of the live performance didn't have anything to do with that part of the world, nor do the lyrics. Someone help me out here!

PS. It's such a wicked track! K, I'm done.

Actually, if you look into the history of the country of Madagascar, the lyrics fit quite well.

During World War 2, Hitler planned to use Madagascar as an island where he would kill Jews.  Thousands of gas chambers were planned for the island.

Also, Madagascar was home to many of the Slaves that Europeans took under their control(hence the Martin Luther King, Jr. segments in the interlude).  :)

Actually, if you look into the history of the country of Madagascar, the lyrics fit quite well.

During World War 2, Hitler planned to use Madagascar as an island where he would kill Jews.  Thousands of gas chambers were planned for the island.

Also, Madagascar was home to many of the Slaves that Europeans took under their control(hence the Martin Luther King, Jr. segments in the interlude).  :)

oh my god if this is true then axl has gone crazy i think things about the ww2 are iron maiden stuff

It could be about many things, I personally think it's about him feeling secluded and removed from the world, like an island (hence Madagascar) and his fight to free himself from his past "I'm free of all the chains"

Posting my old interpretion again.. :)

I think that Madagascar comes from that Madagascar is the lonely irland rigth outside Africa.. Once Madagascar where a part of Africa but it drifted away.. Just like Axl drifted away from his old life, old friends and stuff..

The stuff about axl drifting away from society (like madagascar) is good.

But it could also be about human right, like slaves (martin luther king/free the ball the chain/)

However, anyone ever wondered why these paintings of jesus and marie appeared when they played MTV Awards?

Peace