Oasis vs Nirvana

Gallagher Rose

Oasis vs Nirvana  

146 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a band that broke musical ground and sparked a shit ton of influence that completely dominated the 90's vs. a band that tried to recreate the beatles and really didnt spark any influence at all seeing as well... the beatles beat em to it

ima say Nirvana

fuck oasis and their "we're the shit" attitude

a band that broke musical ground and sparked a shit ton of influence that completely dominated the 90's vs. a band that tried to recreate the beatles and really didnt spark any influence at all seeing as well... the beatles beat em to it

ima say Nirvana

Recreate the Beatles? I agree with Oasis being huge fans off the beatles. But they hardly tried to recreate them? They became much heavier than the Beatles ever were, wrote a different style of song etc.

And Nirvana didn't break musical ground, they simply crossed the line between underground and mainstream.

ima say Nirvana

Id say they tried to recreate the stone roses much more so than the beatles. Liam is a total ian brown clone except he can sing. Well he was when they first came out anyway.

And Nirvana didn't break musical ground, they simply crossed the line between underground and mainstream.

But few bands could have done that, at least not the way Nirvana did it, so that in itself is breaking musical ground.

Oasis does much more for me then Nirvana ever could.

Like what? :huh:

Tour? :xmasssanta:

:rofl-lol:

I'm voting Nirvana out of personal preferences. You can argue forever if you want to come to a "who's more important"-conclusion...

But few bands could have done that, at least not the way Nirvana did it, so that in itself is breaking musical ground.

Oasis kinda did the same thing in europe and the uk, especially the uk. They took what the roses had done and alot of the other 'madchester' bands that had only been in the mne scene and brought it to the masses.

Oasis kinda did the same thing in europe and the uk, especially the uk. They took what the roses had done and alot of the other 'madchester' bands that had only been in the mne scene and brought it to the masses.

Yeah, I agree they did that too, and they were really important to music, but it was only in Britain. Nirvana did that to the entire world, and to a much larger degree. Not to mention their influence.

Influence?

Right, Im really not taking the piss or being rude, but if Kurt was still alive, Nirvana wouldn't be haf as loved. Kids wouldn't be walking round with the smily face shirt or anything. They had, what, 4 albums? Oasis have continued to make music. And not just important to Europe. They repeatedly sell out Asia, Australia and South America. Even North America are starting to get Oasis a tiny bit. Look at Kings Of Leon. About to storm the world many people reckon, and they state Oasis as a major influence.

Influence?

Right, Im really not taking the piss or being rude, but if Kurt was still alive, Nirvana wouldn't be haf as loved. Kids wouldn't be walking round with the smily face shirt or anything. They had, what, 4 albums? Oasis have continued to make music. And not just important to Europe. They repeatedly sell out Asia, Australia and South America. Even North America are starting to get Oasis a tiny bit. Look at Kings Of Leon. About to storm the world many people reckon, and they state Oasis as a major influence.

Tell me, what has Oasis really influenced indirectly? Stereophonics, Bloc Party? All those bands that Oasis has indirectly influenced are British-based, and not really significant in other parts of the world. Nirvana indirectly influenced entire genres like post-grunge, emo, alternative, indie rock and so on.

Whether Kurt is dead or not has nothing to do with the fact that Nirvana is, indirectly, the most influential band of the past 15 years or so. The fact that Kurt has become one of those "rock martyrs", have raised Nirvanas fan count, sure, but popularity means nothing. Just look at Kiss - they have one of the largest fan bases around, and I'd say they're pretty fucking far from being one of the greatest bands of all time.

You mention that they already are big in certain parts of the world and are becoming big in other. Well, that happened after the big change they did in Britain happened. And now that Oasis are well-established in other parts of the world, they can't do that change anymore. I've never heard of a band that already were well-established then revolutionized music, without drastically changing their sound, that is.

Edited by Lithium

Oasis have written far too many amazing songs than they've any right to have actually made.

Rock N Roll Star, Live Forever, Supersonic, Slide Away, Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger, Some Might Say, Morning Glory, Champagne Supernova..........all in the space of two albums, and all pretty much secondary national anthems in the UK. Ridiculous really when you think about it.

Influence?

Tell me, what has Oasis really influenced indirectly? Stereophonics, Bloc Party? All those bands that Oasis has indirectly influenced are British-based, and not really significant in other parts of the world. Nirvana indirectly influenced entire genres like post-grunge, emo, alternative, indie rock and so on.

Whether Kurt is dead or not has nothing to do with the fact that Nirvana is, indirectly, the most influential band of the past 15 years or so. The fact that Kurt has become one of those "rock martyrs", have raised Nirvanas fan count, sure, but popularity means nothing. Just look at Kiss - they have one of the largest fan bases around, and I'd say they're pretty fucking far from being one of the greatest bands of all time.

You mention that they already are big in certain parts of the world and are becoming big in other. Well, that happened after the big change they did in Britain happened. And now that Oasis are well-established in other parts of the world, they can't do that change anymore. I've never heard of a band that already were well-established then revolutionized music, without drastically changing their sound, that is.

U2 - Achtung Baby

Radiohead - Ok Computer/ Kid A

Influence?

U2 - Achtung Baby

Both bands drastically changed their sound for the albums you mentioned.

Influence?

U2 - Achtung Baby

Both bands drastically changed their sound for the albums you mentioned.

Yeah you're right.

I misread what he wrote.

Influence?

Lets not forget that Nirvana was huge before Kurt died. I think we can both agree that the mainstream/general public, whatever you wanna call it, can be influenced by simple things, and when it comes to Nirvana I'd say the riff for Smells Like Teen Spirit had way more to do with Nirvana's success than Kurt's death, and even with only four albums it still lingers on.

But I live in the US, and to most people here Oasis is like... meh. And Nirvana is like... man i really wish that selfish prick didn't blow his head off cause he really had somethin goin.

But we dont have any control of the course of history, so as it stands Id still say Nirvana > Oasis