How well do you remember the 80s?

gnrafd87

Personally, I don't remember much cuz I was born in '85.  I think it was a much better era than the new millenium so far because it really stood out on it's own.  From what I've seen, the 80s had a unique style that was distinct and I'm really disappointed to have missed out on such a special time.  As I said before I probably don't know as much as the ppl who actually "lived" through the 80s (unlike me, who was still a mere baby in awe of the music and people).  So heres a topic for all you not-so-old-timers who won't mind rewinding a bit back into the hair-metal era.  Tell us younglings more about the music (particularly GnR) and the people cuz I'm curious.  

Thanks

To me, GnR represented the attitude and showmanship that 80s metal was so famous for, yet the music wasn't empty, like that of Poison or Warrant.  Appetite for Destruction was so great because it bridged between 80s metal and what would come in the early 90s, and threw in a bit of old school punk, too.

HAHAHA!!!

Mine too!!!

i already have that DVD box set with number 1 2 and 3!

It came out here at the begining of the year?? Howcome it comes out so late in the US???

Well its maaaad!

I love those movies.. Theres so many little things to look out for...

HAHA  ;D :D ::)

I was born in 71 so I was in High School in the later part of the 80s and I can tell you that is was much different .  I first saw GNR in '85 and they were very different.  They went by Hollywood Rose, and Drunk Fuxx  and a few other names  back then. They had a few band members (Traci Gunns) replaced and became GNR.    Very glam , but very , very good.  Back then they did not play any ballads.  It was all very raw metal /punk ....and some other styles.

They were struggling back then so they were just regular guys playing at a Rock n Roll bar.  Listen to LIVE LIKE A SUICIDE and that will give a  real good idea of what they were like.  Then ,  they started opening for major acts like Aerosmith.  Saw that one  in '86-87 and they stole the show from Aerosmith. Aerosmith was great,  but Guns N' Roses was just taking off and they put on unbelievable concerts.  No pyrotechs. or things like that.  Just raw energy, aggression and a serious attitude that said , F#CK OFF and we dont care what you think about us.   Appetite For Destruction finally took off about late '88 and they were no longer just a band from LA. It was about '88 and '89 where they started appealing to the masses.  I think Sweet Child O' Mine did it for the girls and the pissed off aggression is what made everybody else like them.  I don't know for sure but thats my reason.   Alot of people hated them too, but thats what made it cool.  Everybody had their opinions about Guns, especially W. Axl Rose.   He has always been the one in the spotlight ...even back then.   At tihis point they were still the aggressive five member band that recorded Appetite.  Alot of people did not like them now that I think about it.  Then , Steven Adler left and was replaced with Sorum.  Izzy Stradlin left and was replaced with Gilbly Clark.  Dizzy Reed came in at this time too.  Use Your Illusion came out it 91 and they had a much different look and some of the songs were ballads.   Their appearance is now changing from Leather and snakeskin to .........well I don't know what to call it but it was different.   The music was still very good and they released two albums and they were on top of the music scene again.  I then watched them tour with Metallica and Faith No More in 1992.  Big mistake I thought.  Metallica was pissed because they played 2nd and Guns was the headliner.   There were huge productions back then with Metallica and Guns playing the same stage.   A few years later The Spaghetti Incident was released and then the band broke up shortly after that.   Now you have a way different group and a very different Axl Rose.  I do like the new line up however.  I have been a fan of Robin Fink since he started with Trent Reznor w/NIN.  I've met him and Trent and they are both very down to earth.  Never heard of Buckethead though and the rest of the guys seem really good.  Tommy Stinson is very fun to watch play and Brain is a excellent drummer.  I bought tickets to see them at Mandalay Bay on Dec. 28th.  On the floor in about the 10th row Section 1.

Nobody is more dissapointed than me about this cancellation , but you can't be mad at Guns N' Roses or even Axl as so many people are.  We will never know what really happened and at least they came and played some very impressive shows at Madison Sq. Garden and some others.  I have learned over the years that you must  be patient if you want to see this band and if you cant understand that then maybe buy tickets to a more reliable band 'cause this Axl Rose is not someone to bet the farm on as many people have done who post here.   Never has been.  I'm just glad they are back and I can assure you this is not the last tour they'll go on.  And they might screw the next one up too,  but it's always interesting and thats what this is all about .  Entertainment......

SIN CITY

HAHAHA!!!

Mine too!!!

i already have that DVD box set with number 1 2 and 3!

It came out here at the begining of the year?? Howcome it comes out so late in the US???

Well its maaaad!

I love those movies.. Theres so many little things to look out for...

HAHA  ;D :D ::)

DVD's are werid here.  Weird law makes it hard to get a DVD out.  They are coming out with more and more every day though.

I don't know why they make different DVD players with different region codes. Like if a get a DVD from overseas, it won't be compatible with a DVD player here.

Yeah thats fuckn DUMB!  >:(

Guess its like NTSC and PAL.. same shit.. but fuck.. shouldnt they have fixed that problem with DVD's

FUCKN!

Really?!?That's my favorite movie too. :D 8) :D

BTTF is the best fucking move of all time!

Its your classic post modern mix of genre's..

And the thing i like about it, is that in a day with no computers or digital effects, if it came out today, it would still look just as vibrant and futuristic (for number 2)...

I was born in 71 so I was in High School in the later part of the 80s and I can tell you that is was much different .  I first saw GNR in '85 and they were very different.  They went by Hollywood Rose, and Drunk Fuxx  and a few other names  back then. They had a few band members (Traci Gunns) replaced and became GNR.    Very glam , but very , very good.  Back then they did not play any ballads.  It was all very raw metal /punk ....and some other styles.

They were struggling back then so they were just regular guys playing at a Rock n Roll bar.  Listen to LIVE LIKE A SUICIDE and that will give a  real good idea of what they were like.  Then ,  they started opening for major acts like Aerosmith.  Saw that one  in '86-87 and they stole the show from Aerosmith. Aerosmith was great,  but Guns N' Roses was just taking off and they put on unbelievable concerts.  No pyrotechs. or things like that.  Just raw energy, aggression and a serious attitude that said , F#CK OFF and we dont care what you think about us.   Appetite For Destruction finally took off about late '88 and they were no longer just a band from LA. It was about '88 and '89 where they started appealing to the masses.  I think Sweet Child O' Mine did it for the girls and the pissed off aggression is what made everybody else like them.  I don't know for sure but thats my reason.   Alot of people hated them too, but thats what made it cool.  Everybody had their opinions about Guns, especially W. Axl Rose.   He has always been the one in the spotlight ...even back then.   At tihis point they were still the aggressive five member band that recorded Appetite.  Alot of people did not like them now that I think about it.  Then , Steven Adler left and was replaced with Sorum.  Izzy Stradlin left and was replaced with Gilbly Clark.  Dizzy Reed came in at this time too.  Use Your Illusion came out it 91 and they had a much different look and some of the songs were ballads.   Their appearance is now changing from Leather and snakeskin to .........well I don't know what to call it but it was different.   The music was still very good and they released two albums and they were on top of the music scene again.  I then watched them tour with Metallica and Faith No More in 1992.  Big mistake I thought.  Metallica was pissed because they played 2nd and Guns was the headliner.   There were huge productions back then with Metallica and Guns playing the same stage.   A few years later The Spaghetti Incident was released and then the band broke up shortly after that.   Now you have a way different group and a very different Axl Rose.  I do like the new line up however.  I have been a fan of Robin Fink since he started with Trent Reznor w/NIN.  I've met him and Trent and they are both very down to earth.  Never heard of Buckethead though and the rest of the guys seem really good.  Tommy Stinson is very fun to watch play and Brain is a excellent drummer.  I bought tickets to see them at Mandalay Bay on Dec. 28th.  On the floor in about the 10th row Section 1.

Nobody is more dissapointed than me about this cancellation , but you can't be mad at Guns N' Roses or even Axl as so many people are.  We will never know what really happened and at least they came and played some very impressive shows at Madison Sq. Garden and some others.  I have learned over the years that you must  be patient if you want to see this band and if you cant understand that then maybe buy tickets to a more reliable band 'cause this Axl Rose is not someone to bet the farm on as many people have done who post here.   Never has been.  I'm just glad they are back and I can assure you this is not the last tour they'll go on.  And they might screw the next one up too,  but it's always interesting and thats what this is all about .  Entertainment......

SIN CITY

Hells yes...you said a mouthfull!  Good post!

BTTF is the best fucking move of all time!

Its your classic post modern mix of genre's..

And the thing i like about it, is that in a day with no computers or digital effects, if it came out today, it would still look just as vibrant and futuristic (for number 2)...

Yep...............the movie is a classic. Didn't like part 3 that much.  ;D

well said reckles..i was born in 72 and remember the rize and fall of gnr. i remember seeing them open for areosmith in the summer of 87 or 88 blew them off the stage. during aerosmith axl was seen sitting on a mountain bike against a fence of in the crowd, as this was just before gnr broke big. seen them live 9 times cought them in detroit 02' i was  surprised they still rock hope to see live agin. 8)