When did you start listening, & bein a "true" fan?

darat

Okay, I'm 17.. Always knew about GnR, friends listend to em back in grade school alot, welcome to the jungle was such an awesome song. I really never listened to many other songs from them, i knew of paradise city, and thought it was okay. And who didn't know about knockin on heavens door.

After 8th grade i got really into music, and started getting all the great songs i could (with the help of internet  hehe).. Never really looked for GnR..  

So, theres a new GnR CD coming out my freshman year (or slightly before it). It was Live Era, and WMMR was actually playing it. I was sitting in a car waiting for my aunt to come out of a store when i heard it, in it's fullness. The one song I loved, but NEVER knew GnR sang: November Rain.

The final 3 minutes of the song was the part i loved, but after listening to it all, i went out the next week and bought Live Era.

Instantly, I was (and still am) a die hard fan. Love the music, and that wont change, ever. I can still listen to November Rain, every day at least once or twice. And most of their other music.

I love the new music, and really really wanted to see them play (in Philly).. I get there, I felt something was wrong the whole time. I knew it, it was a weird gut feeling. And sadly, Axl no showed.

I don't care that he didnt show, he sitll has a great voice. I'm just pissed i didn't get to see GnR, and the tour is most likely over. I need to see them once in concert sometime, no matter what.

Hands down, my favorite band ever: Guns N' Roses.

Why/When did you start to listen?

Started listening to Gn'R when they were the biggest band in the world and had their videoes all over MTV.  Sometime around 1992.  I was only four.  I will always remember sitting in front of the TV watching 'Welcome to the Jungle,' 'Sweet Child O' Mine,' 'November Rain,' 'Live and Let Die,' 'Don't Cry,' 'Paradise City' and everything else.  Never really heard much about them from 1994 until 1998, but my friend was listening to his mom's Live Era CD and I remembered how much I loved them.  Went out and bought AFD and UYI II and bought the rest of their CD's since...well, I've had all of their CD's for, like, two years, probably.  And they've been my favorite band ever since.  Their CD's are ALWAYS in 'rotation' (haha) in my house.  I wouldn't consider myself a 'true fan' until 1999 when the 'End of Days' soundtrack came out and I got a computer and s-it.  Then I started going on forums and message boards and such (MYGNR blue board was my first) and I've been dedicated to these guys more than most people.  Obviously Axl the most.  Gn'R is the greatest band ever and the new album is going to be f-cking historical and the most untouchable record ever in music.  The project's record will be f-cking good too, I'm sure (of course they will, Izzy's in on writing the songs now instead of just Slash and Duff).  And for the Mullet Muksateers, I AM going to buy the project's album whenever they get around to releasing it.   :)

Started listening around 1986 - I was 16 then.

Thought GNR were the greatest thing since sliced bread (and the Chevelle)

I had tickets for Dallas gig on Dec 19th.  

I know its not the old GNR but I was willing to let that pass and just go and enjoy a night of the old songs trotted out by Axl.  However, I've started to feel sick to my stomach with whats gone on.  I give him one more day to make an official statement, if it doesnt happen then the last bit of respect I have for Axl is gone.  

I'm feeling a little sad and bitter today.  A far cry from the days of excitement racing around in my car with Appetite blasting out the windows.  Ahhhh those were the days.  Oh well, I'm getting old and most music is shit out there today.  I think I need to go rent Grumpy old men from Blockbuster.

Later y'all :-X

I was 13 it was back in 89, I purchased apetite for destruction, and I was blown away.. I never heard any bands out there as raw and as angry as gnr, I fell inlove with them since, got obsessed, tore down every poster I got in my room, and replaced it with all of gnr's.. axl is a legend, no matter what.

back in early 1991 i was in grade 6 and really wasn't into music to crazy yet. that spring as grade 6 wore down you could be mine came out for T2 and i was hooked. i then went and got afd and was a diehard now, by the end of the year the illusions came out and the rest is history.

Man, I wish I could say that I've loved them since the beginning days on the Sunset Strip and saw them at the Whisky and all that, but I didn't really get into music until 2-3 years ago.  I mean, I liked music before that, but not for the right reasons, I liked it because it was popular (I was all about rap music).  Then, in 1999 when I was in 8th grade, I heard Welcome to the Jungle on the radio.  I had truly never listened to rock music, I'm from the south and all we really had down there on the radio was rap and country, but now I live in Cleveland, so there's rock music EVERYWHERE.  After I heard Jungle, I immediately went and bought Use Your Illusion 1, and it quickly became my favorite album of all time.  I got Appetite soon after, and the rest was history, I loved Guns N' Roses.  So...I became a Guns N' Roses fan when I was 14 years old.

Im 17 aswell  :P

Like most of you i remember listening to them when i was "little" lol, always liking it but never really being old enough to know that you go buy CD's or whatever!

I have 2 older brothers 20 and 23 and they were kinda into them... we had the illusion albums... i always liked the songs and shit... never actually got into them until my brother bought some weird bootleg... called "Guns N' Roses - Unlicenced Live" had just a collection of songs from different shows combined together... kinda like Live Era... just way DoDgy!

Anyway i think the song that really really got me into them was Civil War! Fuckn mad song!

By this time i looked for the illusion cd's in the house somewhere and later found out they were stolen at a party  >:(

Not to worry... we had them all on the computer! So i woulda been in yr 8/9 when i fully got into them... so 13/14 yo!

Still havent bought the illusion albums... hahaha im so cheap... i have UYI2 on vinyl though! Fuck paying 30$ for the cd's... I'd rather buy stuff i didn't have! I will get them one day i guess.... I still have the UYI1 case if that counts  :P

So yeah... Then i bought Live Era and naturally i was hooked after that! (Then i lent it to my brother and it came back scratched to the bullshit... so now i have to fuckn buy that again aswell.... NOT HAPPY)

Anyways Yeah thats it....  ;D

i was 11,i used to spend my times after school over my friend's house,we would go to his room,he had hundreds of posters hanging on his wall of rock musician,going from metallica to the Stooges,he was a big Iggy Pop fan,we would put make up on and dress very glam cause at that time he had just made me discovered to New York Dolls.We would take tennis Racket as a Guitar and just pretend that we're a band ;D and go over our favorite song and just make his Mother go crazy,so in 91,GNR just released the illusion album,the only song i knew at that time is Civil War,which i thought was pretty good but not enough i guess to get me hook,so my friend put out a GNR record,a cross with five skulls on it,and start to tell me about the band and all the drugs stories possible about the band,i'm still amazed to this day that this guy was just 12 and knew so much about drugs,anyway and then he asked me to listen to that song ,IT'S SO EASY....i was hooked for good..i'm 22 now and this song in particular got the whole thing started.

87' I bolted out the door with a diploma in one hand and a microphone in the other. I was cruising down Speedway blvd in Tucson Arizona when Sweet Child o' Mine came on. I had just broke  up with my blonde haired blue eyed girlfriend and I was feeling really miserable so that song just tore me up.. I remember pulling into the next k- mart and picking up AFD. I played that thing like 3 times that night as Ilooked out over Tucson from Mt. Lemon. I had heard Welcome to the Jungle before and thught it was cool but at that time there were so many bands coming out and they all had like maybe 1 good song on them and then sh*t .Kinda like now! I had known about GNR when Iwas in Hollywood the summer before while my band was out at GIT. People were raging about them then. THe first time I remember seeing Axl was when he was going into the cathouse..he looked like a woman withhis hair all teased up and lipstick on. When an article came out in Hit Parader i thought they looked like a bunch of scruffy cats....

im 17 too, wheni was younger i sw the novemeber rain video (i always remembered the guy jumpin on the cake...) n the estranged video, but i didnt get into them then, not until i met a friend who was in love with the band him n his family all diehard gnr fans, for halloween he would dress ar axl or slash, thats hwo he met one of his best friends (another die hard fan), when he was dressed as slash for halloween,

but about 2, 3 years ago, i was on a trip with me school to europe we were in a hard rock cafe in london when the paradise video came on, i couldnt get the song out of my head for the rest of the trip... i got home n either bought the albums or dled them

n im so happy, just recently i found the AFD on vinyl with the original cover art lol, of course i bought it, when i went to pay for it the guy was like "...we had this?!... y didnt i know!?"

oo n the live era album is great, n i agree that version of nov rain is amazing i can listen to that ending for ever

n i had the same thing too, n so did my friend when we went to the philly show things didnt seem right, our stomachs were both bothering us as if tense n we werent even sitting by each other her n her mom were on one side of the arena, me n my other friend were on the other

87' I bolted out the door with a diploma in one hand and a microphone in the other. I was cruising down Speedway blvd in Tucson Arizona when Sweet Child o' Mine came on. I had just broke  up with my blonde haired blue eyed girlfriend and I was feeling really miserable so that song just tore me up.. I remember pulling into the next k- mart and picking up AFD. I played that thing like 3 times that night as Ilooked out over Tucson from Mt. Lemon. I had heard Welcome to the Jungle before and thught it was cool but at that time there were so many bands coming out and they all had like maybe 1 good song on them and then sh*t .Kinda like now! I had known about GNR when Iwas in Hollywood the summer before while my band was out at GIT. People were raging about them then. THe first time I remember seeing Axl was when he was going into the cathouse..he looked like a woman withhis hair all teased up and lipstick on. When an article came out in Hit Parader i thought they looked like a bunch of scruffy cats....

Please dont' come back to arizona... you give it a bad name.

Hey Mr. sparkle enuff already..Sorry if my beating your A S S hurt your feelings. We can take our childish bickering to another thread but this one happened to be a decent one.. probably the first in months...Every stupid post you  put up like that just demonstrates how petty you allow yourself to be.......

1986 or 87, I lived in mexico in Culiacan  (that's near mazatlan), I was watching headbandger´s ball on mtv and then i saw this video, where a skinny redhead gets off a greyhound and screams his heart out, then there was this guy with a hi-top hat and no face. i was hooked on gnr in that instant. then I got toghether with a bunch of friends, put a band together and we covered most of AFD songs. it was a very special time in my life.

Twas '87" or '88'. I am from Jamaica, I was about 16 then always trying to find other stuff to listen to other than reggae. We had sattelite....hence...MTV (thank God) The first time I saw WTTJ, I thought it was kinda different....MTV kept playing it...and playing it. I thought....oh just one of those bands with a one hit song and that'd be the end. The SCOM was released, it blew me away....I got hooked after that, I immediately bought their album (cassette at the time)...."I think about you"....amazing...NEways it went on.....I bought "Lies" and then There was the concert that MTV played @ The Ritz....amazing....I recorded it but for some reason it got erased....man was I pissed....I couldn't sleep....I even wrote to MTV....I had to have it.

Eventually they played it....I recorded it and still have it up to this day.....with all of their videos I might add on VHS.

I bought UYI 1&2 red and blue versions, my biggest dream was to see them in concert.....which I did this year in Toronto.....they were f....king unbelievable. Slash and the gang wasn't there but trust me I didn't miss them.

I am a fan for life. I listen to other shit but nothing compares.....Guns n Roses is TIMELESS.

87 or 88 when i was 16 i saw the paradise city video on english music programme  top of pops and thought who the hell are these guys,had to go out and buy the album which was the onewith the banned cover.thought i would only like paradise city cos at the time i was into u2 and thought gnr would be one great  song on album kind of band,how wrong can u be every song was unbelievable.when u say when do u become a true fan i think it has to be the first time u see them live,u cant believe how good they are and how magnetic axl is.ive seen u2,stones live which was great but gnr was better without doubt  

I first listened to GNR in 1991, when they released The Use Your Illuson CD's. I had UYI 2, listened to it again and again, especially liked Don't Cry, Yesterdays, Kn.o.h.door, 14 Years, I was 7 back then.

GNR's "Don't Cry" and Bon Jovi's "Bed of Roses" where my favourites back then. Both fantastic songs, I also listen to them nowadays.

87 as soon as AFD came out we got it , because the band just looked like they knew how to Rock unlike evryone else at the time , needless to say I wasn't dissappointed , I also remember seein the WTTJ vid for the first time ( one of the most memorable vid in all video history IMO ) . an it blew me away  ;D

Peace GnR Nation  8)