Slash, is there anything he won't sell out to?

Mr_Sparkle

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's b*llshit slash never sold out. he was there for his fans , he did a couple of guest appearances, some of which were not very credible but he never sold out because simply he doesn't need the money and because all he did was playing guitar and not promoting a product. and you can't say axl never cooperated with the pop side because he did. mtv awards for example. and yes there were commercials during the breaks so if you want it that way then axl helped mtv get more viewrs ,the ones who happened right after to watch the tv commercials. so it's exactly the same thing if not worse..

that's b*llshit slash never sold out. he was there for his fans , he did a couple of guest appearances, some of which were not very credible but he never sold out because simply he doesn't need the money and because all he did was playing guitar and not promoting a product. and you can't say axl never cooperated with the pop side because he did. mtv awards for example. and yes there were commercials during the breaks so if you want it that way then axl helped mtv get more viewrs ,the ones who happened right after to watch the tv commercials. so it's exactly the same thing if not worse..

A couple?  How about a couple 1000 maybe.. get your head out of your arse  ::)

but why does it matter how many he does??

I mean why should it be bad if he does this? How does it affect him in a negative way? It certainly doesn't constitute "selling" as there is no financial gain (well minimal) and if you mean selling out in a more general sense (i.e. that its bad that he's doing it) well then thats wrong too, becuase it doesn't affect him in any negative way at all...

I dunno about you.. but if a person in the music biz is selling Dodge trucks, or selling pepsi.. or doing anything similar.. they have reached rock bottom and are doing to purely for the money.. there is nothing wrong with making money.. but making it that way comes with a price, a price that you have sold out and you are on the decline...  ;D

Slash is a musician, he loves to play, that simple, so he'll play on most occasions he can.

At least he IS playing, and WANTS to play, unlike Axl and his circus of merry men who dont bother turning up to big shows  ::) really people. "sell out"? Slash has kept it real, more-so than GN'R, by keeping it about making music and playing to fans. axl is still about leading the rock n roll lifestyle, turning up late etc etc..

Axl, I guess would be a sellout then also by allowing and participating in letting Cheryl Crow do a recording of Sweet Child O' Mine for the Big Daddy Soundtrack and letting it segue into a new version during the credits.... and consider that Axl was gung ho on letting Welcome to the Jungle to be used in Blackhawk Down.. which evidently sparked another war of words and deeds between his and "their" camp about the commercial use of GNR songs. Slash and co.. flat out refused to license the song to be used on film and soundtrack. This may be why Axl has decided to rerecord AFD. To Remove any claim the old band might have on the future usage of the songs. THere is songwriting credits but the actual playing on the songs is considered otherwise.

I...*gasp* have to agree with  Mr,Sparkle there is something degrading to the music when its used to move product..IE..Aerosmith and Dodge, GAP and  Led Zeppelin shilling Cadillac....I suppose in crossover culture it makes good business sense to squeeze a few more millions out of a song.

... there is something degrading to the music when its used to move product..IE..Aerosmith and Dodge, GAP and  Led Zeppelin shilling Cadillac....I suppose in crossover culture it makes good business sense to squeeze a few more millions out of a song.

I have to agree.

Nothing ruins a song faster than having it play in the background for some car, hamburger or other God-awful commercial. The music gets tired fast, the lyrics suddenly become meaningless, and you never look at the song the same way again.  :P

But soundtracks are entirely different.  I have no problem with an artist's music being used in a movie as long the film reflects what the music is about. In fact, there have been some cases where a soundtrack has helped sell a track better -- such as the Goo Goo Dolls' "Iris" when it appeared in the film "City of Angels."

Well if ANY good comes out of a song ina commercial maybe it's that a younger audience will see it and hear the song and get into it , This hopefully would get more people into Classic Rock and Real rock n roll ( the best music there is ) But that's a big if , BTW I don't think well ever have to worry  bout a GnR song ina commercial , Sh*t could you imagine WTTJ in a Skechers (shoe) commercial  :-/ , speakin of this what do you think about that Moby dude he sold out his ENTIRE album for commercial use , I mean I understand wanting to make a buck or get exposure but a whole F*#kin album , I mean come on that's a joke  :P .

Peace GnR Nation  8)

Axl and the original members "sold out" in the beginning when they let Jim Carrey sing WTTJ in The Dead Pool and they apeared in the background in a movie scene. They've been selling their music to big corporations since the beginning and it will always happen.