BUCKETHEAD INTERVIEW MTV

ThinkAboutYou

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1458813/2...121/story.jhtml

Some classic quotes from the buckethead interview

Nobody much liked the 1988 fright flick "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers." After 10 years, this slasher franchise was pretty much played out. (Even though it's still with us today!) But Brian Carroll was inspired by the film. He went right out after seeing it and bought a Michael Myers-like white mask. Then, that night, as he was eating from a bucketful of take-out fried chicken, another inspiration struck. He described it in a 1996 interview with Guitar Player magazine: "I was eating it, and I put the mask on and then the bucket on my head. I went to the mirror. I just said, 'Buckethead. That's Buckethead right there.' It was just one of those things. After that, I wanted to be that thing all the time."

As he played, he appeared to be meditating on a large rack in front of him filled with odd dolls and objects: Michael Myers, of course; Leatherface from "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"; a little plastic replica of Colonel Sanders, the late KFC impresario; and a rubber chicken straight out of vaudeville.

Since the Buckethead character was famously raised by chickens, and has made it his mission in life to alert the world to the ongoing chicken holocaust in fast-food joints around the globe, we wondered about the presence of the Colonel Sanders doll in his travel rack. Carroll said, "It's like your father; maybe he beats you, but he's still your father, and you love him, and ... it's complicated."

Unlike Carroll, Buckethead doesn't speak at all, at least not for public consumption. When our cameras were about to start rolling, he fitted a whole-head rubber monster mask over his right hand and said that this improvised puppet — he calls it "Herbie" — would answer all questions. We asked what the chicken deal was. Apparently, the evil man who owned the farm where Buckethead was raised (with chickens, remember) came to the coop one day and cruelly slipped some fried chicken pieces inside.

• 2 weeks later...

That is so unrock and roll...dolls? a handpuppet to talk for you... doesn't like/ scared of girls??? Are you on crack or what? Someone oughta knock his bucket back into reality..Chicken farmers ? Chicken crisis? G DA*m I would rather have some f*cker up there that only knew 3 chords but knew how to rock than this techno geek. (Don't get me wrong the bast*ard knows his way around a fretboard and for that I admire him....) and geek is exactly the word that describes him. Whats funny is kids like him used to get beat up by kids wearing Guns and Roses t-shirts! The end is near!

Geeks who sat in thier room reading comic books... the ya know classic nerd sh*t. fellas that were terrified to talk to girls. The awkward backward social misfits that always found comfort and solace in pretending they were were like "supermans b*stard child".... I don't know but that always was the case in the real world. the rockers always got picked on by the hicks and the geeks got crap from everybody including the ugly girls. Were talking social order here not rocket science.

B-head don't like Girls ....... well perhaps he's playin for the OTHER team  ;D , ( take it for what it is I ain't predjuce ) but hey it could be likely , hides behind a mask , don't like girls  , maybe he don't want anyone to know .

Peace GnR Nation  8)

Oh aint that just great.... 2 gnr guitarist with limp wrists....So much for macho rocknroll.... no need to pretend its about sex drugs and Rock and roll anymore....Lets make a statement by using the oddest freakiest people we can find to be in the biggest band in all of the world....

Some say "don't give a damn about his personal life as long as he does Sweet Child O' Mine just like Slash used too" others say "What the &&^^^%$%$@! is this noise?" Me  for myself just say "yeagh whatever... to the bar."

Man, people around here should lighten up a little bit.  So many people bi*ching about how Buckethead is "unrock and roll" and all of that bullsh*t, just because he's not your usual macho rocker?  Who cares if he's different, maybe the badass rock guy stuff has played itself out.  No one in that band is really "rock and roll" anymore, at least not in their appearance.  Any loser can act rock and roll, but the members of GNR actually are because they PLAY ROCK MUSIC.  Isn't the music what it's about?

If only Axl would pull his head out of his A S S and get back with Slash and the other members then he wouldn't have to play with some robot man with a bucket on his head that can't talk as his bucket persona, but the world isn't perfect, only ugly.

I speaketh what's on my mind

Oh aint that just great.... 2 gnr guitarist with limp wrists....So much for macho rocknroll.... no need to pretend its about sex drugs and Rock and roll anymore....Lets make a statement by using the oddest freakiest people we can find to be in the biggest band in all of the world....

Some say "don't give a damn about his personal life as long as he does Sweet Child O' Mine just like Slash used too" others say "What the &&^^^%$%$@! is this noise?" Me  for myself just say "yeagh whatever... to the bar."

what is that supposed to mean? all of the members are either married or have serious girl friends. it is a gimmick no homosexuals involved here. and if there were SO WHAT!! Are you a homophobe or something? :-/

... no homosexuals involved here. and if there were SO WHAT!! Are you a homophobe or something? :-/

I was wondering the same thing myself.  ::)

Even if one member was gay, so what? How does that affect his ability to play great music?

well i would have to bring out my gay prefudices...

Its unnatural!

I mean i have no right to judge, but i dont want to be following in an idolistic way someone who is camp...

I mean not in the way that i follow gnr...

I mean elton john and all those folks gain respect but only as musicians, I respect gnr in more ways than musically...

Here we go again..... No I aint getting all freaked out about the qeer thing in GNR. I wouldn't exactly call Robin and Buckethead the most masculine acting fellas but that don't make them "queer." Robin however is flaming and has in the past acknowledged it. He played in a drag band prior to NIN. something ..."sea snakes"?...Marilyn Manson and his crew used to party with them all the time and Twiggy was stated as saying Fink was a really f*cked up sick individual. Of course rumours are rumours and thats what most speculation is. HE plays a mean guitar...is a freak/dork to look at....may be highly intellegent and probably is a really nice guy& outside of that he has his own issues.

Buckethead's presence associated with GNR kills the sleazy rebellious loud raunchy moody explititive emotional thrilling music that I believe GNR got famous for and on. Its like a parody of what it was. I mean he acts dead on stage even when he is throwning out solos. No headbanging no crowd acknowledgement nothing...no selling the sizzle.......

I mean when Slash walked up to the edge of the stage with his les paul and dangling cigarette to begin the opening notes of "the Godfather solo" It was real and believable and freaked you out that some junkie like him actually could produce something like that.... it was inspiring. You couldn't help but loving him he was so fricking real... you wanted to be like him. You wanted to be that cool.

Buckethead on the other hand throws a rubber chicken, twirls numchackus, blitzes you with arpegio after arpegio, blinds you on technique....amazes you on his ability...for about 10 minutes and then gets boring... ok maybe 20. and he remains distant and removed from the whole process, the whole scene. The more hes around the less "cool" I think the new GNR are. THe music of course will be amazing im sure of that but the whole package up to this point hasn't been so endearing.    

.. Marilyn Manson and his crew used to party with them all the time and Twiggy was stated as saying Fink was a really f*cked up sick individual....

Oh well, if Twiggy and Marilyn Manson said it, then it must be true.  :P  Manson -- with his breast implants, weirdo contact lens and devil-worshipping gimmick.  Geez, if that's not the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.

.. Buckethead's presence associated with GNR kills the sleazy rebellious loud raunchy moody explititive emotional thrilling music that I believe GNR got famous for and on. Its like a parody of what it was. I mean he acts dead on stage even when he is throwning out solos. No headbanging no crowd acknowledgement nothing...no selling the sizzle.......

The band definitely has a different image.  The leather and metal rocker image is long gone. We now have a mix of goth (Finck), hip-hop/rock (Axl), punk (Tommy) and off-the-wall (buckethead).  I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the band's old rocker image. But this is a new era and a new music world, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Robin however is flaming and has in the past acknowledged it.

Nope , neither he nor anybody in his close proximity acknowledged such thing.....unless he acknowledged it personally to you,LOL.  Yes, he has effeminate qualities about him, but many women dig it in men, like a lot of women find John Malkovich sexy who also has such charisma that is not about macho masculinity. Not that I would call Robin a wimp because I did see Robin act fierce and "manly" on a bootleg NIN video where an "unexpected" thing happened on stage,and also given his size he could beat the s.hit out of most wankers on these forums who call him fag,LOL. But the bottom line is he has an "artistic" soul and his appearance and presence reflect that which to some people may seem "gay" because they don't know any better.

And I never read Twiggy say such a thing. If he did , it was in a  tongue-in-cheek manner because both of them were in SMF for one concert and so "sick motherfucker" may be referring to it like when people called Robin a SMF  in the Closure videos when he got his finger broken. And even *if* he was so, even better for me, I like sick motherfuckers. :P

And Impotent Sea Snakes are not a drag band, there are a few people in drag but it is over all an out-there shock-performance art thing where they do all these weird out-there sexual acts on stage , mostly woman-to-man,  like I saw a pic where this guy in the band was sticking a drill-like thing inside the naked girl's v.agina who was standing upside down with her legs wide open in front of him. To my knowledge for a short period of time Robin played a "chainsaw" (!) on stage with them .

Actually Courtney Love accused the entire NIN band of being "homophobes" of all things,LOL and mentioned several times that the bakstage scene with the groupies were the most out there and vile compared to even 80's bands like GNR  and such and their scene. Now that is something not to be believed either, because she is a chronic liar and she was trying to get back at Trent at any cost and she took a shot a trying to alienate their gay fanbase by calling them homophobes.  Although the backstage scene with the willing girls seem not far fetched after reading Manson's book and reading about things that happened during that specific tour and Trent's involvement in them but nowhere was Finck mentioned in those so-called "sick" acts.

But Robin did say that it was a "different Robin" during that Self Destruct tour  and called the things that happened during the tour as "stupid". Mostly from what I understand he was high all the time ,heh, just watching the Closure tapes  every time they show a Robin clip backstage he seems really stoned and high, LOL. I don't think there was any drug they did not take during those times which is one of the reasons he stated that he needed to break away from New Orleans because he said "a few of us were not taking care of ourselves well" and hence his 180 degree turn by joining Cirque. I do believe he is sober now.

OK, I gave you plenty of Robin info, more than you needed , heh he.

HEy thanks for the info.. didn't know all that much about Robin.

Yeagh Madison I firmly and resolutely believe everything Marilyn And Twiggy say as truth. NOT.

Like I said specualtion and rumours. Might have been true might have not.  

I will say he dug into the solos pretty damn good and I was impressed by his performance in Moline. When he was here he didn't have that goofy face paint on and he actually looked human. I thought his stiped cat in the hat socks were groovy.

...  Mostly from what I understand he was high all the time ,heh, just watching the Closure tapes  every time they show a Robin clip backstage he seems really stoned and high, LOL. I don't think there was any drug they did not take during those times which is one of the reasons he stated that he needed to break away from New Orleans because he said "a few of us were not taking care of ourselves well" and hence his 180 degree turn by joining Cirque. I do believe he is sober now.

OK, I gave you plenty of Robin info, more than you needed , heh he.

Yeah, those "Closure" tapes are pretty bizarre.

But I'm a huge NIN fan. so it goes with the band.  ;D

And thanx for all the extra Robin info.