My theory on the Decline of Rock

Carne_asaDA

Back in the 70's and early 80's, kids did not have shit to do. No video games, internet, DVD's etc....etc. So what do they do, they go pick up a guitar and not have shit to do but practice. That's why i think the late 80's early 90's rock music sounded much better than the power chord chunkers of today.

gotta go with you on this one. The kids now days have every form of entertainment they could ever want. including this forum.... They have access to information pronto. I think that they are told what to imagine and to think.  The bands of yesterday had to work thier azzes off in clubs and such to get the sound and the contract. Now all you need is a concept and a good gut growl. I know at least 10 bands that should be out on the circut now but thier music "just doesn't fit into the format" meaning it doesnt pass corporat think tank muster.

Yeah, seeing as Nirvana only used dropped D on like 5 songs, lets blame it on them.  Lots of bands used dropped D befofre alternative, like Neil Young and Queen.  If I'm not mistaken, Chinese Democracy is actually in dropped D flat tuning.

I'm sure... anyway, most alternative bands during that time dropped D, yes there was dropped D before but nothing like the early 90's duh   ::)

I think it has more to do with record company's pimping out the 1 hit wonders for a buck.  There are plenty of kick ass bands, the record company's just dont' want to spend money on them.. they would wrather pimp out the one song and ditch the band.

He's exactly right.  A lot of the local bands in my area are amazing.  And as indvidual musicians...holy s-it.  Guitarists that are only fifteen or sixteen like, here, I'll name a few, even though no one here knows them: Chris Fullam, Shawn Smith, Brendan Fullam, Sean Crooks, etc....they're all AMAZING musicians.  A lot of them just don't fit the whole "cliche" at the moment.  There's definitely no shortage of good musicians out there today.  They're just overlooked.

???????. since when has dropped d tuning made any difference to how a song sounds. All GnR songs use that tuning, but they could just be played in normal tuning, playing e as a d sharp.

I also want to say that, at his own admittance, Slash, although he sounds good, isn't a very good guitarist. in fact, that goes for almost every famous guitarist. I know people who are far better than Satriani or vai. the only difference is that they don't want to be famous. i bet 90% of then couldn't pass grade 6, let alone 8. Good guitarists aren't needed for good rock music like GnR. what has changed is peoples taste, and hopefully Axls return can do something about that!!

I have never heard a good solo from a Drop D tuned ax.

All i have heard were power chord riffs.

If you want to hear some good guitar work on a dropped d guitar, listen to Soundgarden's early stuff (before they got into the really fu*ked up tunings like open C) or even the new version of Chinese Democracy with the extended guiar solo.

???????. since when has dropped d tuning made any difference to how a song sounds. All GnR songs use that tuning, but they could just be played in normal tuning, playing e as a d sharp.

I also want to say that, at his own admittance, Slash, although he sounds good, isn't a very good guitarist. in fact, that goes for almost every famous guitarist. I know people who are far better than Satriani or vai. the only difference is that they don't want to be famous. i bet 90% of then couldn't pass grade 6, let alone 8. Good guitarists aren't needed for good rock music like GnR. what has changed is peoples taste, and hopefully Axls return can do something about that!!

I think thats a good point (for the bhead vs. slash arguement). I mean it doesn't matter how technical a guitarist bhead is, it doesn't neccessarily make him a great rock guitarist..

I mean you apply that to somehting like painting. I mean good painters and characterised on their ability to make a life like artwork, they are judged on their ability to have feel and emotions etc...