Did Izzy write most of AFD/UYI songs?

livelikeasuicide

Izzy was a principle songwriter for the group and helped arrange/compose most of the songs.

SI was recorded at the same time /around as UYI sessions. The songs on SI are punk covers done previously by other bands. From what I understand they were songs they had jammed on in consideration of putting them on UYI but didn't make the cut. SI "sucked" because it was B songs that didn't merit GnRs sticker being put on it. THere are some brilliant songs on it like Down on the Farm and Since I Dont Have You.

Izzy offered to continue writing for GNR but did not want to tour anymore with them. Kinda like what he is doing now with this "project" It was supposed to be a filler mini- album like Lies was between major albums to keep the fans interested. At the time SI was released they were rehearsing new material trying to get their act together.

Actually Izzy also wrote most appetite as well - Mr.B , SCOM , Your Crazy , Out ta get me , ISE , and Nightrain ,and even though Adler is ripped on a lot he cowrote a couple songs as well and is a credited with ISE .

Peace GnR Nation  8)

G-Face  , really  Izzy did cowrite SCOM with Axl  , I found it out through a lot of on line research and someone even posted the AFD writing credits at THIS forum a couple of weeks ago , I wouldn't write it if I didn't have the Facts .

Peace GnR Nation  8)

Axl wrote the lyrics to SCOM...not the music...that was probably Izzy's contribution to it.  I've heard numerous times that Axl was responsible for the lyrics to that song.  Izzy did write Mr. Brownstone though.  Not too sure about the others.  But here are the total combined contributions on the UYI albums (Axl, Izzy, Slash, and Duff anyway):

Axl: 22

Izzy: 12

Slash: 9

Duff: 5

So yeah...Axl contributed a lot more than Izzy...he wrote a lot of UYI 2, while Izzy wrote a good portion of UYI 1.  Not even close to sure about AFD because in the liners, everyone is credited for writing every song.  I know that Izzy wrote 'Move to the City' though (for what it's worth...haha...he co-wrote it was Chris Weber, I believe)...heard Izzy wrote 'Patience,' too, while Axl wrote 'One in a Million.'  So yeah...Axl contributed more than anyone when it came to lyrics.

yeah, axl was definately the main songwriter, but it needs to be aknowledged that he wrote only lyrics and general parts of the song, whereas slash and izzy mainly wrote the riffs and guitar parts which are very important to a successful song.

It does say in after the title of each song who wrote the songs in the Illusion booklets. Izzy mainly wrote UYI1, whereas Axl was UYI 2.

The lyrics too Appetite I don't know about, and I suggest most people here are just guessing. I have an interview with Slash on CD where he says he and Adler wrote Mr. Brownstone, but I have another interview with Slash where he says Izzy wrote it.... to be honest I dont think they know  ;D

I also read that izzy wrote Patience....

Izzy has probably written the most material overall if you include his 5 solo albums. I read somewhere that Duff McKagan has totalled at 9 solo albums so far since leaving GNR - that includes his work with Loaded though

i believe izzy was mostly responsible for afd. all facts show that.. when he was sober he put out an album like afd. several years after ,he was so high on drugs that he couldn't do it so good any more and that's why uyi turned out to be more axl-style. also i see many people concentrate mainly on the lyrics when they are talking about songwriting. no my friends.. that's wrong have you ever tried to write 10 seconds of music ? also remember that scom is remembered for its music, not for its lyrics and so are many other gnr songs.. btw i guess that axl used to consider izzy as an older brother and did what he said at first. don't forget he left indiana to find izzy. izzy was the driving force, axl was the best "instrument" in his hands (considering part of the lyrics and vocals).

..  also remember that scom is remembered for its music, not for its lyrics and so are many other gnr songs..

Surely you jest.  

Do you really think Sweet Child would have been as popular if the lyrics to -- oh, I don't know, let's say N'Sync's "Bye Bye Bye" -- were being sung over Slash's great guitar riffs?  I don't think so.

.. btw i guess that axl used to consider izzy as an older brother and did what he said at first. don't forget he left indiana to find izzy. izzy was the driving force, axl was the best "instrument" in his hands (considering part of the lyrics and vocals).

It's true. They were a great team.

well the point was that the distinctive part of sweet child is the opening riff of course and the lyrics.. i think you agree on this. i didn't mean the lyrics are of no importance but you must admit that they were far from gnr's best ;)

It shouldn't really matter that much who has written the most and like it's some sort of competition or something.  They were a band and that's what bands do.  It was like when Axl thanked Slash for his killer guitar melodies in Estranged.  I thought that was stupid to be thanking him because that is why they jam together.  Slash is talented and modest enough to say that himself.

Anyway, why are people, like counting and all that sh*t on who made the biggest contribution to writing?  I mean Axl sings, so it would be natural for him to write most of the lyrics, Slash plays the guitar, so it is natural for him to write the guitars for the songs and so on with Duff and the band as a whole as a part of jamming.  Music is about always experimenting.  That's the chemistry they had and that's why they were the best band in the world.

D-ckhead...I was just doing my best to answer the f-cking question at hand...must you really be an @ss about everything?

Anyway, why are people, like counting and all that sh*t on who made the biggest contribution to writing?  

That was directed at ME, that is why I snapped at you in my last post.  I was simply ANSWERING the d amn question and you had to be an idiot and be all like, "Why are people counting the credits?" or whatever.  Anyway, I'm not going to make a big deal out of this unless you do, so I'm done with you for now.

... ...  I mean there are plenty of sh*t hot songs out there that people can't understand the words to but they can like the song.  Sometimes the words don't matter at all.  It's the music that catches people's ears.

But Nathan, that's what puts GNR a step above everyone else. The band has kicka*s music AND lyrics.  ;)

And for some of us, it is axl's vocals and lyrics that do it for us.  But we get knocked down because we look forward to Chinese Democracy.  And the music is what did it for you, you don't see us complainging about you liking the project and not the new gnr.  i could give a rats ass if you liked the new gnr or not.  I said i wished the old gnr all the luck and i hope they put out some great tunes, because no doubt would i pick up the album.  But you don't even give axl's band a chance. so you can suck it, hypocritical indeed

G-Face

as for the lyrics thing, i mean i know that for most gnr songs their lyrics are meaningfull etc, but i mean when you look at some songs and you say (well i say) Cheezy!

I mean they flow and are well written for most songs, but for some they are just plain cheesey...