illusions

barracuda

has every one forgotten that gnr"s finest work was the illusions cds. maybe not the best selling-most liked-critically acclaimed etc- but definately their finest.i think the forthcoming cd will most likly be simaler in context to illusions rather than appetite or lies.its awesome that axl is exploring differant formats etc.the old will always be their,so bring on some new material.

I agree.

While I think AFD was an amazing album, I actually prefer the Illusions albums.  I find the Illusions' lyrics deeper and more meaningful.  

Axl seems to take the music to a different level with each release.  Yet, at the same time, he seems to have this incredible foresight to be able to write lyrics and produce music that tap into people's thoughts and feelings. Music people can relate to on many different levels.

The music was never stagnant. And I think he'll continue that progression with Chinese Democracy.

i think there is a reason why ppl and critics consider AFD one of the best albums ever and UYI only a pair of top 90's albums.. and i can see why of course: because appetite was made by punks and uyi was made by "aristocrats". and why does uyi has more sophisticated lyrics ? appetite has the most sophisticated and together REAL lyrics i've ever heard in an album because they mean what they say, they don't say it because they just believe it's right. ilussions has more of a patternalistic attitude. and of course afd has much better music, more rhythms, better solos, better chord changes, what if it doesn't have an organ or a sitar or a piano ?? better it doesn't..

yes but songs like perfect crime, bad obssesion,locomotive my world, you aint the first, are not very meaningfull and UYI cds have much more special effects which is not good

Locomotive and Bad Obsession are two of my favorite songs. The lyrics are incredible.

"I bought me an illusion

And I put it on the wall

I let it fill my head with dreams

And I had to have them all." (Locomotive)

... Speaks volumes about goals, dreams and ambition -- whether it's work-related or relationship-related. Cool..

"Bad Obsession" reminds of relationships -- You know, when you end a relationship because you know it's not right, but then a part of you still wants to go back "one more time."

Then there's "Dead Horse" and "Don't D*mn Me" -- amazing lyrics.

These are all songs that people can relate to in so many different ways and on so many different levels. Mind you, it takes intelligence and thought to find the meaning for you personally.    ;)

Appetite came at a time when rock and roll was dying.  It blasted out of the speakers with an urgency, an anger, and a sense of importance that hadn't been seen in a long, long time.  The characters that made this album (of course, particularly Axl)  proved that the songs were biographical.  Their off stage, I'll do whatever the f**k I want,  demeanor matched their music and drew critics and fans alike instead of repelling them.  Even their peers viewed them as the next big thing.  They worked hard for this and it showed.

UYI is not a retelling of life experiences in the same way AFD is.  Sure there are many great introspective pieces but I personally feel there's a lot of filler.  In my opinion the UYI albums don't have the  tightly coiled frustration/cohesiveness of AFD.  I can listen to songs from both UYIs.  I can listen to the whole album of AFD.

And I think it's interesting that the first thing that Axl taught his new band is the aggression and frustration, not the introspection -- that came later with the originals.

the illusions had great songs, but.. they should have put out 1 great cd with about 18 songs.. the double album was a bad idea and had some weak material.  Every song on AFD kicked ass.  I can listen to the CD over and over... Illusions i find myself skipping some songs.  

Locomotive and Bad Obsession are two of my favorite songs. The lyrics are incredible.  

Don't forget Coma's lyrics they're great and deal with a dark situatuion amazingly especially the last two minutes

Peace GnR Nation  8)

I think madison was refering to the new band live

I love coma!

its amazing shit!

Its got the awesome (well it doesn't seem hard, but it sounds good!) solo from slash, and i love like thje three minites of lyrics at the end! amazing!