Appetite

Carne_asaDA

It would!

I'll tell you why...

In the 80's you had your fruity electronic pop etc and then GNR came with the really raw sound and got people hooked back on rock...

The same thing is like today... We have this bullshit boybands and crappy whores like britney spears dominating the market, and AFD would change it again...

I think that another thing that makes AFD a classic is that it iws timeless, and it doesn't sound dated 15 years after its released. You cant really tell.

of course it would... let me tell you why: because afd was not just an album.. it was revolution of a kind that had never happened. the sex pistols were revolution but they blamed society for everything. nirvana was supposed to be revolution (?) but they also blamed society for their mess. rolling stones were revolution but they also blamed society. guns n roses were revolution with appetite but they didn't blame solely society. the whole album has a sarcasm for itself. they say "yes society is a b*tch, but we're no different than that too".

look at nightrain : the out-of-world lyrics, how they seem to care only about a bottle of whiskey- it's the attitude of a man that doesn't care. they say ppl are starving to death right now ,but we don't give a sh*t all we are good at right now is singing about whiskey..

look at it's so easy: how it refers not to society but in person ."you get nothing ... use for you" a line that's so hard and it refers to you, not to us. it says "if you're that way then you deserve what happens to you and stop b*tching about everything.".

look at pc: it also refers to "you". it's a song against political correctness (ie "the surgeon...i can't see"). it says that if you feel the pressure of others (meaning that everyone expects you to think in a fixed way-because that what political correctness is) the way i do then most probably you'll go nuts, like the song goes nuts in the end and you'll really need to go to some paradise city where you can finally do/have what you want.

look at outta get me: one word "they're outta get me". who ? he doesn't say the state, or the cops are outta get me. he says everyone is outta get me and that's so true because everyone watches your moves and is ready to criticise them any given moment. haven't you noticed ppl at your work or in the bus taking curious looks at you because you might have long hair and they immediately think you're some punk? they don't say it but they make up their minds on you based in any trivia things they might not like. that's also authority in a way, so the song is not only about the state's authority ,it's about authority and supression of your ways of acting and reacting because of exactly that "non-official but still powerful" authority. it's against authority coming from simple people. from your grandma that wants to make you eat your food while you're 20 years old. from your college that expects you to have the exact habbits he does. from any person that expects you not to smoke ,although you want to. from your neighboor who is an *ss and wants you to inform him before you bring your frinends home to have some fun. the song is again against the way of acting of the simple citizen including them of course.

you can see that it's not an ordinary album. it's sarcastic to itself and that's what makes it so special,raw and honest. it's a band that knows it has disadvantages and states them and makes fun of them. it doesn't simply blame everything generally to society.. that's all... it was a bit long ;)

look at outta get me: one word "they're outta get me". who ? he doesn't say the state, or the cops are outta get me. he says everyone is outta get me and that's so true because everyone watches your moves and is ready to criticise them any given moment. haven't you noticed ppl at your work or in the bus taking curious looks at you because you might have long hair and they immediately think you're some punk? they don't say it but they make up their minds on you based in any trivia things they might not like. that's also authority in a way, so the song is not only about the state's authority ,it's about authority and supression of your ways of acting and reacting because of exactly that "non-official but still powerful" authority. it's against authority coming from simple people. from your grandma that wants to make you eat your food while you're 20 years old. from your college that expects you to have the exact habbits he does. from any person that expects you not to smoke ,although you want to. from your neighboor who is an *ss and wants you to inform him before you bring your frinends home to have some fun. the song is again against the way of acting of the simple citizen including them of course.

Thats very well said.. And so true.. Society expecting everyone to just follow along to the standars as a bunch of sheeps..

I have long hair and get that pretty often.. Just last week I was in the store and we where discussing what food we should buy.. What looked good and stuff.. :) After a little while one who works there come over and asks us if we want something.. I don`t know about everyone else but thats not normal in the stores in Norway, in Norway that is suggesting that we plan on stealing or something.. That they don`t like us standing there..

And just now today we got back our Norwegian projects things.. I had forgotten to write my name on it and I went up to get mine.. When I said that was probaly mine.. He was like "yea..are you sure?" "yea.. that looks like mine" "ok.. But not completly sure?" .. that was the last paper left.. That was the first thing we had given to him and I did well.. and it seemed that he really didnt expect me to do better than any of his golden kids.. Or the ones that lokked like that.. :)

Anywayz.. I think it could do it.. Simply because the music rocks.. It stands out.. No one has ever kept the energy so high jet made such great melodies and such great singing.. It would break trough every other music no mather how great and definitly now..

well, it would not be the same as in 1987. Back then, you know, it smashed because this was never done before. But today?!?

I mean, people would still like it and it would of course sell millions again, but it can't take the kick-ass-status AFD had back in the eighties.

Nevertheless, it still rocks, man! Axl would not atracct millions of people in GNR concerts TODAY if it was not fu##ing good!!

look at pc: it also refers to "you". it's a song against political correctness (ie "the surgeon...i can't see"). it says that if you feel the pressure of others (meaning that everyone expects you to think in a fixed way-because that what political correctness is) the way i do then most probably you'll go nuts, like the song goes nuts in the end and you'll really need to go to some paradise city where you can finally do/have what you want.

That is some good pc review!

It would definetly be as successful because it's got a F8ck off attitude , it's raw and pure adrenline and it's also not just hard but MUSICAL as well ,  not just dark and evil like most metal in the world currently . The main reason though is that AFD appealed to many fans ( Hardcore , casual , and top 40 ) and when you reach and satisfy that diverse an audience you will be huge , most music stars today only appeal to THIER target audince ie Eminem , Boy Bands , rappers and Metal . All these musicians albums will sell only to who they are tryin to please I would never buy a pop album but My aunt who is not a big fan of hard rock Loves PC , SCOM , NR and a lot of acoustics of GnR , that's kinda the reason they'd be as HUGE now as they were in 87-93 .

Peace GnR Nation  8)

it wouldn't be accepted the same but that would only be as aresult of the times. I mean if it were released today it would be entirely the same. I mean it was produced for the 80's, not the 21st century...

I mean ask yourself this, would an album like thriller (i think thats the highest selling of all time) make anywhere near the same impact if it was released todsay? It might not of, but it still doesn't take anything away from the original release, it just means that it would of been changed a little to suit the current climate.

Axl has spoken out at great length on this subject, saying many people have misinterpretted and misunderstood the lyrics and meaning behind "One in a Million."  He even talked about pulling the track off future pressings because of this.

Reexel, I think you're one of those people. Go back and read Axl's interviews on the subject.

as always,some people have to take something out of context,and start controversy.axl has to deal with this nonsense 24/7.madison-enjoy your insight and respectful comments.....................   what we have here is             failure to                   comunicate