Civil War trivia

holydiver

i just found out this one today and i was really surprised that all these years i hadn't noticed. right before the first time axl starts singing there is a small melody. today i listen to afriend of mine singing it and i say "sing it again" cause i thought i've just heard wrong. but it was it. then i tell him "that's gnr's civil war your singing.." and he says "what's civil war ? this is an old song that was sung by the communists during the greek civil war in1949" !!!!! that's were my mouth drops , my eyes pop out etc etc just like in the movie "the mask" ;) to understand better right after ww2 in greece there was a civil war communists against king's ppl. it lasted until 1950 i think and the communists finally lost (though not very fairly because the others were helped by foreign nations too). isn't it just astonishing ? do you think axl knew this and wrote the song based on this fact or it's just a coincidence ? i think he must have known it because both that melody and the name "civil war" is too much to be a coincidence .. :)

Another thing with Civil War does anyone have a good idea on why he included the two speeches ( I love 'em ) I was always curious on this and I wanted to know anyone else's thoughts  ??? , I think the Cool hand Luke speech was included because it's a great introduction to the Message  of the song and it's lyrics but the second one I got no idea .

Peace GnR Nation  8)

ATTENTION MR. W. AXL ROSE!!!!!

(I KNOW YOU READ THESE)

I MUST MAKE A SPECIAL REQUEST THAT YOU PLAY "CIVIL WAR'' WHEN YOU AND GUNS N ROSES PLAY MADISON SQUARE GARDEN IN NEW YORK CITY. IT WOULD MEAN A LOT TO ME, AND A LOT TO ALL OF US UYI 2 FANS. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME SIR. YOU'VE DONE A GREAT JOB, AND I WISH YOU NOTHING BUT CONTINUED SUCCESS.

REGARDS,

thefunkiestmanNnewyork

yes i'm reffering to the whistling part, so i guess glorifiedGNR might be right ,because i've never heard this part anywhere else except the song. maybe it was like a "borrowed"-war-melody from the american song.. then again maybe it wasn't but it fits so right in both cases.. ;)